Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Should the taxpayer be spending 12m on a visit by the pope?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I don't believe the Vatican is a proper state which is apparently why we are helping fund this "state" visit…

Oh and the whole, nazi, peado and it's all made up thing obviously….

So it's a no from me..

druidh
    Free Member

No

Keef
    Free Member

no.

convert

Nope.

Having spent some time in Africa and seen the aids devastation first hand, I can't get past the condom thing.

cinnamon_girl

No.

My daughter is going on a protest march in London, reckon I might join her.

epicsteve
    Free Member

No.

Going to be traffic chaos as well.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No. The Vatican is not poor.

roundwheels
    Free Member

No !

Kuco

Yes 😉

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Id like to know how and why this amount of money needs spending – I personally think our glorious bankers should be made to fund the visit out of their 'bonuses'

Woody
    Free Member

No, for all the reasons mentioned above and several more.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have no problem with religion per se, but I don't feel that such a large amount of taxpayers' money should be spent by our government to entertain any foreign visiting dignitary. Especially considering the wealth of the Vatican.

Don't see why the Pope can't just get an Oyster card and stay at a Travel Inn place.

Ooh! Can I come? 😀

rOcKeTdOg

my fellow athiests shouldn't have to pay

Kuco

And how much money is that going to waste having to police that?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don't believe the Vatican is a proper state

Regardless of your individual opinion, The Vatican City is internationally recognised as an independent Sovreign State.

my fellow athiests shouldn't have to pay

By that reckoning, then neither should any non-Catholics.

Upholding Law and Order concerning British Citizens right to protest isn't a waste of money.

Kuco

Is imo and imagine in a lot of others as well and no more of a waste of paying to protect the head of a state no matter how small that state is. Though personally I don't agree with paying the £12million when the church must be one of the riches organisations going.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm apoplectic about this, truly angry. So many reasons that this should not have been allowed. Vatican city is only a state for tax reasons, says it all really.

cinnamon_girl

I find it quite sad that genuine protest marches just do not happen these days. In my day (goes into hippy mode) it was the done thing.

There's a lack of passion for causes.

druidh
    Free Member

neverfastenuff – Member
    Id like to know how and why this amount of money needs spending – I personally think our glorious bankers should be made to fund the visit out of their 'bonuses'

They're already generating Billions of pounds of profits for the UK Government.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nope.

organic355
    Free Member

Catholics should pay if they want him, why should I pay?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm apoplectic about this, truly angry.

Blimey. I can think of thousands of things that make me angry, but this is just mildly annoying in the general scheme of things really.

Kuco

£12 million is a pittance considering the billions the Olympics is going to cost or wanting to host the world cup.

cinnamon_girl

Actually, it makes me angry. It's bordering on arrogance and contempt for so many people who are financially struggling in this country.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If your daughter comes to London, CG, I can look after her. 🙂

What?

grumm
    Free Member

Blimey. I can think of thousands of things that make me angry, but this is just mildly annoying in the general scheme of things really.

It's not so much the money that bothers me, more that we are extending a warm official welcome to someone who has systematically helped to cover up child abuse.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Millions will be spent on security alone.

Still, if it keeps our kids safe from him it's worth the cost.

😉

Kuco

I don't think he's got it him to do any thing I think even your hamster would be safe though i'd be willing to sacrifice the STW hamster to god 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm completely opposed to the church to have to contribute to what should be a pastoral visit just boils my piss..It's not right.

tails
    Free Member

Millions will be spent on security alone.

Still, if it keeps our kids safe from him it's worth the cost.

If your daughter comes to London, CG, I can look after her.

What?

We could save millions if CG just keeps an eye on her daughter.

the-muffin-man

Another emphatic No.

cinnamon_girl

We could save millions if CG just keeps an eye on her daughter.

tails – she is an adult! However, that's awfully kind of Elf to look after her. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm completely opposed to the church to have to contribute to what should be a pastoral visit just boils my piss..It's not right.

It's not up to you though is it? Sometimes we have to accept that things happen which we don't agree with, but others do. I'm sure there are millions in Britain who feel the opposite to you. Why should your opinion take precedence over yours?

Our taxes also get spent on weapons that kill innocent people. That angers me far more than some old bloke in a pointy hat coming to kiss runways and wave at folk from inside a mobile greenhouse.

CG; you want her off your hands? Consider it a service that I give to you for free. Because I'm nice like that.

BTW YGM.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why should your opinion take precedence over yours?

Bugger. Should read:

Why should your opinion take precedence over theirs?

Northwind

Another no, for all the same very obvious reasons. The catholic church and the vatican city do not lack funds.

Only relevant question that might turn it into a yes for me is will it make money… Which it might. Selling 120000 "I saw the Pope" tshirts would be a start.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Olympics & world cups will cost more but slightly more that 1 overdressed german might come. £12 Million for 1 tourist sounds like we are desperate here. Hopefully if we all stop believing in him he might not exist….

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

No. We're not a catholic country so either the Vatican should pay to protect him or the catholic church can pay. What should tax payers have to stump up for that as well? Unless he is personally going to knock on every door and say hello!

Adders69
    Free Member

No – The Vatican isn't a real state!

I would, however, like to see the Pope visit the UK … so long as he is arrested upon arrival for being complicit in crimes against minors.

Is he going to be transported in a "pope-mobile" this time?? Talking of safety and security there's nothing says 'trust in god' so much as 3 inch bullet-proof glass eh!

Religion? Sh1t it!

joolsburger
    Free Member

You're right it's not up to me but I believe that I'm not in the minority in thinking it's wrong.

Of course other bad things happen but the hypocrisy of this really gets my goat.

hels
    Free Member

We have been discussing at work how to make the Pope's visit fun for us.

(Once we have all figured out how to actually get to work on the 16th that is, I checked the list of road closures on the Edinburgh Council website and it is pretty much all of them.)

Anyway we are thinking about dressing up in costume and going to watch, much like the World 7s in countries that do that kind of thing. At the moment we will either be a group of Jesuses (Jesae ?) or possibly Elvae. Nuns was ruled out early.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Should the taxpayer be spending 12m on a visit by the pope?’ is closed to new replies.