• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by enfht.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Should I go to specsavers?
  • zippykona

I shall need glasses soon.
    Spec savers seem good value.
    Is it a case of buy cheap buy twice with them?

Cougar

Isn’t it more the case that you’ve got to buy twice to get cheap?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I asked this question some time ago & went with the Asda recommendation.
    Very happy.

thehustler
    Free Member

Specsavers are franchises so vary massively branch to branch, and are not actually that cheap in the long run……

globalti
    Free Member

Better to find a good local independent who will get to know you, give you good prices and make your cycling glasses for you. If you live anywhere near the Ribble Valley your man is Junaid at Ideal Eye Care in Blackburn.

colournoise

I used to use Specsavers, but have switched to Tesco now but only because I currently prefer their range of frames. My prescription hardly ever varies (or certainly hasn’t for the last 30 years or so), so frame/lens choice and price are my main concerns right now.

For riding glasses/inserts I use RX Sport because [a] they will do me stuff outside the ‘usual’ prescription ranges (my left eye is +7.5) and they’re only 10 minutes up the road from me so I can go and talk to them rather than just use their online service.

slowster
    Free Member

Specsavers’ business model is essentially franchises combined with own brand frames.

The franchises will probably vary somewhat, but are unlikely to be significantly worse than a given small independent, and very possibly may be significantly better than a given small independent, since the Specsavers group will have minimum standards for its franchises to meet, and there will not be similar requirements imposed on an independent.

The big question therefore is probably whether the choice of Specsavers own brand frames is sufficient for you. For example, if you particularly want an Oakley frame (sports or otherwise), then Specsavers is unlikely to be the place to go.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

No.

Get your prescription buy online.

Last set, was quoted £540 (need stupid thin lenses and designer frame).

Online same set £200!

midlifecrashes

Asda prices are close enough to online, and you get to see the goods and get measured up properly.

Having said that, if you have a settled prescription and know your measurements, a friend of mine has had a good few pairs from eyebuydirect.com and they are cheap enough for her to buy a new pair to go with a new jacket.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

My Mrs works for an independent…………..they get loads of people coming to them to get new glasses after using the likes of Specsavers/Vision Express. Some of the horror stories they hear you wouldn’t believe. They actually lose money doing eye tests for people who then purchase elsewhere. A bit like going to your LBS for info and advice and then buying cheaper on-line.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Better to find a good local independent who will get to know you, give you good prices

Not mine down the road. Nice enough chap but the prices are silly. Got a pair of varifocals with a Titanium frame & some wraparound varifocal sunnies from Asda for a lot less than £200 for both.

mmannerr

Have experience with two separate Specsavers stores, super friendly service and nice prices. Unfortunately frame and lens quality was really bad on both cases. One pair of lenses were exchanged due quality issues and same with frames.

Kuco

My experience of Specsavers wasn’t very good so i’d say no.

nealglover
    Free Member

they get loads of people coming to them to get new glasses after using the likes of Specsavers/Vision Express. Some of the horror stories they hear you wouldn’t believe.

Really, Horror stories ?

How bad can it be

“I bought some cheap glasses, and I realise now that I don’t really like them”

mattyfez

Used specsavers a couple of times, been fine, although last time they simply didn’t have any frames I fancied. So currently on the look out for frames. Don’t fancy online as you can’t really tell if they would suit.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Really, Horror stories ?

How bad can it be

How about: wrong prescriptions, left/right eye test results swapped, lenses upside down, lenses fitted in wrong side, badly measured/fitted for varifocals, serious medical issues missed etc.

enfht
    Free Member

Really, Horror stories ?

How bad can it be

I had an eye test at my local specsavers, the optician tried biting my neck, so I ran out the room and tried hiding in a store cupboard only to find a mummified corpse dressed in a frilly Victorian dress sat upright in an armchair. I won’t pretend I didn’t piss my pants. Bloody awful experience so best avoid.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Should I go to specsavers?’ is closed to new replies.