Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Should I get a Marin?
  • markcraven
    Free Member

Just seen the Marin Bobcat on JE James Cycles for £359 when i apply their 10% discount code but is it a good deal?

Spec below what do we think?

Frame 6061 Aluminum, Double Butted Hydro-Edge II Top and Down Tubes, E4 Anti-Flex Seat and Chain Stays
    Fork Suntour XCR-LO, 100mm Travel with Hydraulic Lockout
    Headset FSA No.10, 1 1/8?
    Rear Hub Formula, 32 Hole
    Front Hub Formula, 32 Hole
    Spokes 15 Gauge Black Stainless
    Rims Alex XD-Comp
    Tyres Continental X-King, 26? x 2.2″
    Shift Levers Shimano Acera Rapid Fire Plus, 9 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Acera 9-Speed
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shadow
    Cassette SRAM PG-950, 9-Speed, 11-34
    Chain SRAM PC951
    Crankset TruVativ E400 3.0, 44/32/22T
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ with Sealed Cartridge
    Seatpost Comp Alloy Micro Adjust, 2014 Alloy, 15mm Offset, 400mm

gwj72
    Free Member

Looks a good buy to me that. Spec is all serviceable, reliable stuff. If the bike fits/suits you then go for it.

chestrockwell

Agreed, looks decent for the spec and every Marin I’ve ever used has been good and solid if not mind blowing.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I’ve owned three Marins in the past five years. Solid, reliable bikes.

daveh
    Free Member

Rocky Ridge was fairly mind blowing back in the mid 2000s….. 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

I have a Marin from 1999 that’s still my main bike, and (amongst other things) has survived 7 passportes…

mrmo
    Free Member

only thing i would caution, i don’t know what the manufacturer backup would be like now that ATB sales no longer deal with them.

I doubt you would have to use it but it is something to be aware of.

allthepies
    Free Member

26″ wheels ? Are you mad ?

😉

johnnystorm

I wouldn’t panic about warranty. At the risk of sound blasé it’s a £300 bike. If anything breaks it’ll either A)Cheap to replace quickly rather than fanny about with claiming & B) a good excuse to upgrade. In any case shouldn’t the retailer be your first port of call?

chestrockwell

Defo wouldn’t worry about warranty either as a lad on retrobike just stuffed his carbon Marin. It was third hand + out of warranty but the new Marin people still sent a brand new frame.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had three Marins, and still have my first, a 1999 model which I’ve had from new.
    Broke the other two, excellent warranty support, and all three great bikes, highly recommended.
    Note though that just because J E James advertise something doesn’t mean they actually have any. Has anyone ever managed to buy anything they have on their website? 99.9% of items are out of stock, unless you need shoes in either size 2 or 15.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Should I get a Marin?’ is closed to new replies.