Viewing 35 posts - 401 through 435 (of 435 total)
  • Should I forgive the Labour Party?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

How can this happen when you are so clear in what you mean ?

konabunny
    Free Member

Apparently Michael Jeffreys’s team was still working out how to reduce their policy to ensure hardworking families are not disturbed by hopeless dogs using Pet ASBOs.

Exactly. The UK had to go cap in hand to the IMF under Labour in the 1970’s

You missed out the words which are mandated by law to be used whenever this issue is raised on the internet.

I am disappointed you did not also refer to the dead going unburied and rubbish piling up in the streets, but I accept they are recommendations and not legal requirements.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I had missed that little beauty by jambalaya :

The UK had to go to the IMF under Labour in the 1970’s

What jambalaya fails to mention is that the only reason it was a Labour government and not a Tory government who “went cap in hand to the IMF” was because the British electorate kicked out the Tories and they lost the election in 1974.

In fact not only would the Tories have gone “cap in hand to the IMF” but they were actually prepared to do it 2 years earlier than a Labour government eventually did – had they not lost the general election. That’s how keen they were! Labour’s “crime” was to win the general election and inherit a mess from the Tories.

Even the Daily Mail, of all newspapers, recognises this indisputable fact :

How former Prime Minister Ted Heath nearly went to the International Monetary Fund for a loan in 1974

Quote :

Ted Heath considered going to the International Monetary Fund for a loan in 1974 – two years before Labour was forced to do so – it emerged on Friday.

The Tory prime minister was preparing to go ‘cap in hand’ to the IMF and to take ‘unpleasant measures’, archives reveal.

It is an embarrassing revelation for the Tories, who still make political capital out of the 1976 crisis when Labour chancellor Denis Healey had to submit to IMF supervision to get a loan.

And btw konabunny the standard Tory supporter dig is not simply to mention about the dead going unburied but to declare : “you couldn’t even bury your granny”

And just5minutes I’m still waiting for you to explain why “Running the NHS for patients not profit takers” is like something out of a fairy tale, which presumably is what you meant with your reference to “aladdin’s lamp”.

Not possible in the real world ? Or perhaps not possible in your Tory world maybe ?

Can you take just 5 minutes to explain ?

edward2000
    Free Member

^ still doesn’t hide the fact that Ed Balls is a bell end.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And yet “Ed Balls is a bell end” isn’t the Tory election slogan, I can’t imagine why.

The Tories would much rather attempt to win elections by distorting facts and creating an endless abundance of myths.

Behind every Tory myth lies the truth, sometimes you don’t have to scratch very deep to find it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely the tories are more likely to go with Ed balls dad is a bell end and traitor?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Myths such as privatising the NHS or cutting too far, too fast you mean!

This latest mini thread based on the draft photo above starts with the false premise that the NHS is run for profits not patients. How about critiquing that falsehood first? Or we explore the differences between the two main parties use of the private sector – that won’t take too long!!

Or does politicians talking bllx only extend in one direction?!?!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Balls is pretty smart until he opens his mouth in the political debate. His writing is generally very good as was his own critique of how he/labour made mistakes in the fabian soc lecture a few years back. We forget what Keynesian economics was all about.

mefty
    Free Member

Running the NHS for patients not profit takers

The two are of course not mutually exclusive, you could have a highly profitable NHS that provided fantastic care to patients, it would just cost taxpayers a lot of money. Whilst this may appear arcane, it does illustrate that quality of care is not dependent on the provider, the real argument is whether the cost of care is.

ninfan
    Free Member

Haha, so, Ted Heath (that most right wing of monetarist Tory MP’s) considered going to the IMF, but didn’t, is your proof? Clearly the Tories were responsible for the ongoing Arab nations oil embargo 😆

Truth is that Labour would never have had to go to the IMF if it’s own left wing had not rebelled to reject their own 1976 public expenditure white paper! That was the death knell, in fact many suggest that the loan was never truly necessary, but the only way Healey could breach the impasse between the party and the unions on pay restraint and the control of inflation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The newly released documents are minutes from failed talks on March 2, 1974, between Mr Heath and Liberal leader Jeremy Thorpe about forming a coalition three days after an election led to a hung parliament.

The minutes read: ‘On a Privy Councillor basis the prime minister told Mr Thorpe that preparations had been made for a drawing [a loan] on the IMF.’

Yesterday Lord Healey, 92, said: ‘This really is the time when they should shut up about what happened with the IMF.

‘This document, showing their government would have had to do much the same, really should silence them for ever.’

The proof is that he was going to to do it , the fact the country would not support him is not proof , no matter how amusingly you write it, that he would not have done it. you know this but you just want to scribble

😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ninfan, don’t worry, Ernie’s just building up to the arrival of his poster girl. 😉

Of course this period was when politicians foolishly thought that they had an important role to play in managing the UK economy. And boy, didn’t they do well!!!

ninfan
    Free Member

The proof is that he was going to do it

“Preparations had been made” – governments make all sorts of preparations for contingencies, a quick read of Prem15/2069 shows it was not imminent, 1976 was a long way from the depths of the oil crisis of the winter of 73-74

Ernies just building up for the arrival of his poster girl

Sturgeon? I think she has already been canvassing for Labour

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ninfan, don’t worry, Ernie’s just building up to the arrival of his poster girl.

And there you have it, following closely the “Ed Balls is a bell end” comment the Tory fan club on here prove once again just how intellectually bankrupt they are and how they struggle to offer anything beyond silly puerile and pointless remarks.

I get an overwhelming glow of smug satisfaction to know that they are undoubtedly hitting me with their best shots 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thanks for highlighting the critical part of the 68 page article that proves your point

You do like to argue the just about tenable , yet obviously false, position and you do it with such aplomb.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad you are glowing Ernie, you know how the rest of us feel now!!

Of course, posting the poster girl and regularly intervals is the height of intellectual superiority and neither puerile nor pointless. 😉

Has Eddie Izzard changed his name for that photo?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course, posting the poster girl and regularly intervals is the height of intellectual superiority and neither puerile nor pointless.

Despite your constant references to “poster girl” I actually have no idea what this apparent dig at me is about, although I can see that you think I do.

Presumably it’s something to do with Thatcher? but I haven’t a clue what you are on about, I suspect that it’s some hilariously funny joke which only you fully understand.

You certainly repeat it a lot but I’m not sure if that’s because you think it’s unbelievably funny or because it gives you something to say when you can’t of anything else, eg :

Me : Well actually released papers show that the government of Edward Heath was poised to apply to the IMF for a loan but ultimately never did so because they lost the general election.

You : Show us post girl again Ernie.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀 😀

edward2000
    Free Member

And there you have it, following closely the “Ed Balls is a bell end” comment the Tory fan club on here prove once again just how intellectually bankrupt they are and how they struggle to offer anything beyond silly puerile and pointless remarks.

Somebody take to the bait?

chewkw
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member

Somebody take to the bait? [/quote]

Me perhaps? 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Somebody take to the bait?

So you cannot defend what you said so you say you were trolling to save face
    Odd approach.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Opponents claim Jim Murphy has been ‘hung out to dry’ by UK Labour Party

The Scottish Labour leader, speaking during a televised debate last Tuesday, said “we don’t have to make further cuts after 2015 and 2016” as he clashed with Nicola Sturgeon over the economy.[/i]

I have no idea why Jim Murphy made that astonishing claim when anyone who pays attention will know that the Leader of the Labour Party and his sidekick have been repeatedly saying the complete opposite. Indeed :

Mr Miliband, shadow chancellor Ed Balls and shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna lined up to refute the suggestion yesterday.

And :

the UK leadership were far more explicit about the need for continued cuts yesterday, as they sought to portray Labour as the party of fiscal competence.

A vote for Labour is a vote for Tory policies, it couldn’t be clearer. Vote Conservative, LibDem, or Labour, and get a Tory government.

And just to put the icing on the cake :

Mr Umunna, asked whether Mr Murphy’s suggestion that there would be no need for further cuts after next year were true, replied: “The leader of the Scottish Labour Party will not be in charge of the UK budget.

“Ed Miliband will be in charge of the UK budget and he’s just answered that question… [/i]

So there you have it – a full confession by a leading Labour politician that the Labour Party is a one-man show devoid of any shred of democracy. Members of the Scottish Labour Party will have no say in the policies of a Labour Government.

The right-wing clique who now maintain a Stalinist grip on the Labour don’t even bother with any pretense that the Party is in some way democratic.

Could you trust people with such contempt for democracy to govern Britain?

And in answer to the OP…….No, not imo.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The right-wing clique who now maintain a Stalinist grip on the Labour don’t even bother with any pretense that the Party is in some way democratic.

Right wing and Stalinist at the same time?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes that’s correct big and daft, they have “a Stalinist grip” on the party – it’s a one-man show, there is no consultation, no democracy, and dissent is at best suppressed or at worse dealt with through administrative measures.

duckman

That is also a case of Murphy getting his excuses in early. Ah Labour,where did it all go so wrong for you up here? Bold Keir Hardie would recognise shag all about the entity the party has become.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We’ll ducks, you have the two main leadrers who dominate Scottish politics talking fiscal gobbledegook and one even doing so under the banner of “fiscal responsibility.” You boys really do deserve better…..

….and then the Deceitful One pops up again spouting off about Scotland being shielded by the rest of the UK from the impact of low NS Oil revenues. Talk about having your oatcake and eating it!

You couldn’t make it ….well you don’t have to!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s a one-man show

who? it can’t be Ed Miliband so their must be an invisible “Hand” behind the throne

is it Big Len?

epicyclo

big_n_daft – Member
    who? it can’t be Ed Miliband so their must be an invisible “Hand” behind the throne

is it Big Len?

Well it looks so much like the Tories these days, the answer must be David Cameron.

No, scratch that, it’s such a joke, I suspect the hand of Boris… 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Labour have given up on Scotland. They know they’ve lost us – the latest opinion poll has another 6% swing from Labour to SNP. So what’s happening now is that UK Labour is slapping down Scottish Labour so they can look tough to English voters. Jim Murphy – who Miliband never liked anyway – is being hung out to dry. He’ll be made the scapegoat for Labour losing Scotland.

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    …He’ll be made the scapegoat for Labour losing Scotland.

I’m not so sure about the scapegoat. If ever anyone deserved the credit for finishing the job started by Blair and Brown, it’s Murphy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So there you have it – a full confession by a leading Labour politician that the Labour Party is a one-man show devoid of any shred of democracy. Members of the Scottish Labour Party will have no say in the policies of a Labour Government.

@ernie
    , but Jim Murphy was talking bollix and Milliband corrected him. Frankly it could have been any one of a very long list of Labour party members who could have done the same.

@ben – not sure Labour have given up on Scotland, to the contrary they seem to be putting a lot of resources into campaigning there. The only thing the SNP are going to get out of a big showing in Scotland is going to be lots of MPs wages and an ability to play the victim card. The stronger the SNP do in Scotland the worse Labour are going to be in the rest of the UK as voters work to ensure there won’t be an SNP/Labour coalition.

The referendum was 45/55, as the SNP seem to be picking up the Yes voters in the GE its not surprising to see them performing very strongly. The SNP have found a popular message in suggesting the Better Together campaign showed Labour siding with the Tories against Scotland.

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody ZM politicians will promise or shall I say use the word “commit” to everything …

Apparently they can commit to all known problems in the world. Brilliant innit? We now have all of them saying aloud they would commit to sort out your life problems.

Bunch of commitments ZMs they are.

🙄

duckman

Jam,one of the main reasons SNP are doing so well is because LOTS of folk like their policies without wanting another vote ( for the record I can’t be bothered for the next 10 years at least,unforseen events NWS) Yes, Labour are seen as siding with the Tories,but increasingly they are seen as the Tories in red ties. Then you introduce the Murphy factor, he seems a genuinely unlikable person. Labour are borked up here and whoever came up with the “vote SNP,get Tory” slogan needed beaten with a large wet fish. Mind you,stating that he was talking out of turn over austerity is a good indicator of how his overlords view his chances in Scotland.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@duckman – understood they like their policies, so you vote for them at Holyrood where they can form a Government. I don’t see the logic of voting for them at Westminster. The Tory posters are sending the message “Vote Labour, Get SNP” – I think that’s very powerful.

duckman

Err yes,who did you say was pushing that message in Scotland? 8)

Viewing 35 posts - 401 through 435 (of 435 total)

The topic ‘Should I forgive the Labour Party?’ is closed to new replies.