Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Should I buy used Pikes or new Yaris
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Trying to keep my mind off things by keeping busy building the bike.

I’m after some 150mm forks for the Orange 5 and don’t know if I should go for s set of used RCT3 Pikes (around £350) or do I go for a brand new set of Yari (£408).

I know the Yari doesn’t have the Charger damper and I’ve had Pikes before and loved them but the Yari’s seem such good value and they’d be brand new.

Not sure what’s best here.

superstu
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for the latter, seem to get good reviews and the warranty would give me peace of mind. Always difficult to check the life forks have had which would concern me more for a set like pikes which are likely to have had some harder use given the travel and type of bike they’re typically fitted to.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought I remembered seeing a Pike on your 5 build?

I haven’t used the Yari myself, but I’d be wary of a damper downgrade from the Pike – especially knowing that your riding will be rocky.

akira

Where did you see Yari for £408? Cheapest I’ve seen is £415. Not much difference but pricing up a build on a tight budget.

benpinnick

What model are you after Akira?

akira

Ideally 150mm boost in either 27.5+ or 27.5/29+.

benpinnick

Thats tough at the moment – can do you either 140 or 160 boost 27.5 but nothing else in a 110 axle right now (@408)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’d go for the Yaris. Great around town and real easy to park.

akira

Ah don’t suppose you know the axle to crown on the 160s. I’m guessing the 29+ are just longer than the 27.5+, sram website not that useful on details.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve had a go at a 160mm Pike and currently own a 150mm Yari.

Not a lot of difference in 90% of riding. The newer Motion Control damper is quite good. Plus, you could always upgrade to the Charger damper in the future.

Love my Yari so far.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So am I right in thinking the Yari is boost specific and there will be a gap on my standard 15mm hub?

I’m thinking new Yari at the minute. I’d need a 150mm standard 15mm drop out.

All the Pikes I can find are 2014 as well which I believe lack the later upgrades.

johnw1984
    Free Member

You can get them in Boost and standard. Mine isn’t a Boost, 15mm thru and 150mm Travel.

jakehinton
    Free Member

New Pike for £480?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Jake where is that?

tmb467
    Free Member

Pike and new seals / oil is roughly the same price

Easy choice for me

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of pikes before but never game them enough time to really understand the benefit.

£480 new is only £40/60 more than Yari which seems a no brainier.

benpinnick

Ah don’t suppose you know the axle to crown on the 160s. I’m guessing the 29+ are just longer than the 27.5+, sram website not that useful on details.

27 – 552 @ 160
    29/27.5+ 571 @ 160

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ben, can you get a standard 150mm Yari? Any better price than I’ve found so far (above).

akira

Cheers Ben, although everytime I see you post I end up on the Bird website so not a good thing….

benpinnick

Ben, can you get a standard 150mm Yari? Any better price than I’ve found so far (above).

Yep £408 delivered not a problem on those.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

And do you have a price on a 2016 Pike? Same spec (150mm etc)

Hate to ask in here Ben, apologies. I can’t find an email to get you on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Also interested in Pikes here…

poah
    Free Member

save and buy a new pike

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

New pike I reckon

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Id buy Pikes today if Jake tells me where they are £480 🙂

benpinnick

And do you have a price on a 2016 Pike? Same spec (150mm etc)

Hate to ask in here Ben, apologies. I can’t find an email to get you on.

Sorry no stock in the 150s right now, and nothing at the depot either. Probably couldnt hit £480 either way to be honest!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ben, how do I contact you about the £408 150mm Yari’s?

Thanks

Ian

benpinnick

Give me a call on 0118 9960382. Will be here for around another hour.

akira

Ben, need to sort out rest of the build before getting forks but I’ll give you a shout when I’m buying.

mintimperial

bongohoohaa – Member

I’d go for the Yaris. Great around town and real easy to park.

Opened this thread just to check that someone had made the obligatory joke. Good work, carry on.

(Actually I do have both Pikes and a Yaris. The Pikes are ace, the Yaris is boring.)

Northwind

benpinnick – Member

Thats tough at the moment – can do you either 140 or 160 boost 27.5 but nothing else in a 110 axle right now (@408)

Have they changed the design? Used to be you could drop a 160 to 150 with just an air shaft swap or mod

benpinnick

Have they changed the design? Used to be you could drop a 160 to 150 with just an air shaft swap or mod

That still stands, but Lyrik/Yari air shafts are rare right now.

Northwind

Ah, what a pain in the bum, that was a nice feature of the Pikes. Still able to cut down and rethread?

benpinnick

Ah, what a pain in the bum, that was a nice feature of the Pikes. Still able to cut down and rethread?

Yeah you can, but wont be long before the parts & spares catch up to proper levels.

Northwind

Ah OK. Thanks for that, all filed away in the “what next” bit of my head!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Lyrik/Yaris use Pike airshafts.

17 11.4018.026.001 air Shaft Solo air – PIKE (160mm 27.5/140mm 29), Lyrik/Yari(150mm)
    17 11.4018.026.004 air Shaft Solo air – PIKE (150mm 29), Lyrik/Yari (160mm)
    17 11.4018.026.002 air Shaft Solo air – PIKE (160mm 29), Lyrik/Yari (170mm 27.5only)

benpinnick

Good shout – just Fishers need to catch up on their spare parts listing then (or I need to type in the right thing.. one or the other).

stevied
    Free Member

Ben, can you do 180mm Yari for £408?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Arrrrrgh just got in and seen your message about ringing.

Bet I’ve missed you now. I need to pay with PayPal, well it’s where the funds are sat, is that ok?

jakehinton
    Free Member

Pikes were at bike-discount.de

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy used Pikes or new Yaris’ is closed to new replies.