Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Should I buy and iPad in the UK or at Hong Kong Airport?
  • Wozza
    Free Member

So, I think i’m going to get an iPad mini. In the UK at Manchester airport they’re £259 (why they’re only £10 cheaper than RRP on the high street I’ve no idea), Looking online the HK price is more in-line with the US price of about £207.

The warranty is international so no problems there… (I think), so is there a reason I wouldn’t just buy it when I pass through this week?

Cheers in advance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are you going to be getting in to HK, or just at Chek Lap Kok? If you’re in town, I’d buy there to be honest, can often be cheaper than the airport! There’s a superb mall above the train station back out to CLK, where you can check your bags in at the station, then go shopping before getting your train.

Oh, and if you are in town, go to Wan Chai, eat at American Peking, and then rawk your sawks off at Amazonia until the wee small hours.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve only got a couple of hours on my connecting flight flash, so i’ll just be at the airport.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, gotcha. In that case, no harm looking there then!

Who are you flying with? If it’s BA or CX, the noodles in the CX lounges are superb! 🙂

jam-bo

plug charger won’t be UK three pin and I’m not sure if the ipad mini will charge from a USB port.

Ipad won’t as the current drain is too high.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Almost every plug in HK is a three pin UK type, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Wozza
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Almost every plug in HK is a three pin UK type, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

That’s good to know. I can’t think of any other problems. I’m flying with Cathay, i’ll try those noodles!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Ipad won’t as the current drain is too high.”

yes it will – just really slowely

iirc iphone adaptor/use are 5ma and the ipad plug is 20ma …. charges my iphone really quick too 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CX? Dare I ask if you’re in the comfy end (As I haven’t heard good things about their economy!) If it is in the comfy end, you’d better hope it’s a 777 flight! 😉 The old herringbone set up on their 747s isn’t really up to it, IMHO.

That said, their magic “never emptying” wine glass is amazing! 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Buy in Manchester, fill up with apps and download some programmes on iPlayer via wifi at the airport. Play with it on the plane for the long flight, worth it for the entertainment value (unless you have work to do or need to sleep on the plane).

jam-bo

yes it will – just really slowely
    iirc iphone adaptor/use are 5ma and the ipad plug is 20ma …. charges my iphone really quick too

You sure. I’ve plugged my iPad into a USB port plenty of times and its never charged.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve had iPads especially in the past where the current draw on the USB is more than it can offer so it has stated it won’t charge from the device.

chvck
    Free Member

Mine has never charged from USB either.

drlex
    Free Member

IIRC, iPad Minis are supplied with a 5W charger like those with iPhones; iPads have a 13W version. iPad mini should thus charge from *most* USB sockets, like iPhones. I’ve never been able to charge an iPad other than from a wall charger.

CountZero

I often plug my iPad into one of the USB ports on my Mac Mini overnight, and it charges quite happily. Maybe not as quickly as with a wall wart, but I’m not using it during the day.

boblo
    Free Member

Assuming you’ll be bringing it back to the UK, you’ll need to declare it and the duty and VAT applied will easily account for the difference.

igm

Mine claims not to be charging from the USB port but the level of charge goes up. Must be magic.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah my ipad charges from USb, says not charging but batt level increases slowly

hammyuk
    Free Member

boblo – Member
    Assuming you’ll be bringing it back to the UK, you’ll need to declare it and the duty and VAT applied will easily account for the difference.

Really? Get a life….

MS
    Free Member

Ipad only charges via usb if the screen is off i.e locked. pretty slow but still charges.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Really? Get a life….

what a bizarre comment.

paulwf

You can bring in £390 of goods before paying tax

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

warton
    Free Member

our iPad 3 charges from USB, but god it’s slow. easily an hour for less than 10%

jfletch
    Free Member

AFAIK iPads will charge over USB 3, but not 2 or 1.

HK is possibly the best place in the world to buy an iPad, US prices but UK plugs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member
    boblo – Member
    Really? Get a life….

Tax avoidance just like Starbucks…

dantsw13

Buy in HK. I’m an airline pilot, and my colleagues are always raving about how cheap iPads are in HK. I think a mini will be under your customs limit, so no tax to pay. Apple Warranty is worldwide.

CountZero

Tax avoidance just like Starbucks…

Gonna report him then?

jota180
    Free Member

As mentioned above, you’re allowed £390 worth of goods tax and duty free

Not good news for curtain twitchers but fact all the same

sputnik
    Free Member

Curtain twitchers 😆

drlex
    Free Member

🙂
    Thought that might be a Hugh Phamism for ladies from Lesbos

trail_rat
    Free Member

will also charge slowely if you keep the brightness on low.

its faster with the smart cover closed and on standby though.

it does say “not charging” and its a rate that would make you cry but as someone who forgot his wallwart on a 6 week trip to nigeria ……

jam-bo

you learn something new every day.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy and iPad in the UK or at Hong Kong Airport?’ is closed to new replies.