Home Forums Bike Forum Shokz OpenRun Pro for phonecalls while cycling

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shokz OpenRun Pro for phonecalls while cycling
  • keppoch

Does anyone have experience of using Shokz OpenRun Pro for making phonecalls while cycling?

I have a 30 minute commute on a cyclepath and would like to be able to make phonecalls to my father who lives in a different timezone hence my commutes are a good time phone him. Holding the phone is clearly a no-no and wired headphones would be faffy and probably no use due to wind noise but wondering if the Shokz OpenRun Pro might do the job as they have noise cancelling on the microphone but I would be grateful for any experience as it is quite a lot to cash out if they are going to be useless due to wind noise.

nixie

Think you’ll still get wind noise. I use the version with the boom mic for zwift and if I drop into the fan airflow the others on the call can hear the wind.

keppoch

Thank you, that is useful to know. Sounds a bit hopeful that it would work for me and the boom mic one looks a bit call centre to be riding round town with!

fossy

It’s 30 minutes in 24 hours. Why bother.

lardman
    Free Member

I have some open runs and theyre great for safe listening whilst riding ‘on-road’, but calls are a little avergae in terms of quality.

But, i also have some ‘PLantronics BackBeat Fit’ wireless headphones i use when offroad and the call quality is really good. Most people i ask are surprised that i’m riding a bike and say the call quality is amazing.

b33k34

Mine aren’t the open run pro’s but I can’t imagine they’ll be any different.  I find call quality is pretty good, but they’re relying on a mic that’s on the earpiece, so a fair way from your mouth so they don’t work well for calls if it’s windy, and you definitely can’t make a call while you’re riding along.

(I’d be surprised if you could with anything to be honest).  a furry thing over the mic (like you can get for gopros) would probably make things better but I doubt enough.

Daffy

You’ll have to slow right down and still have to shout to be heard on phone calls using Shokz.  Below 10kph is okay, but above that it’s all wind noise.  I’ve been using them for 4-5 years.

honourablegeorge

Work really well when climbing on a mountain bike, at 25k road speeds, the wind noise can overpower them

keppoch

Thanks all that is useful and dud spending averted by the sounds of it. I will check out the Plantronics option.

fossyFull Member
    It’s 30 minutes in 24 hours. Why bother.

I generally come back too, so it is 60 minutes in 24 hours. The why bit was in my post, I am calling someone in a very different timezone and this commute works well for that. But good news, you don’t have to call anyone on your commute.

keppoch

@lardman there are a few models of Plantronics Backbeat Fit, do you know the model name/number of yours?

reeksy

I have some open runs and theyre great for safe listening whilst riding ‘on-road’, but calls are a little avergae in terms of quality.

But, i also have some ‘PLantronics BackBeat Fit’ wireless headphones i use when offroad and the call quality is really good. Most people i ask are surprised that i’m riding a bike and say the call quality is amazing.

I’ve had both and found neither worked well for this unless cupping a hand around the microphone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.