Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Shoe dryers
  • richmtb

Does anyone have any recommendation for shoe dryers.

Preferably non powered. Something I can just stick in the shoes that helps them dry overnight and hopefully absorbs some of the smell!

Yes, newspaper works a bit and is better than nothing but i’m sure there is something better. I’ve thought about sticking a load of silica gel in a couple of old socks but is there a neater solution?

MrSparkle

I’ve been using the first born nappies that my granddaughter has outgrown in my wringing wet fell shoes.

IHN

Have these in the cars to draw in moisture, they’d work great in shoes I reckon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7RVVEE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

richmtb

@IHN

Thanks looks ideal, are they shoe sized?

IHN

Yep, and ‘bean-baggy’ so they’ll scrunch up a bit too.

You’ve got me thinking now about getting some for MrsIHNs minging soggy trainers…

richmtb

Thanks again IHN, just bought them

aide

Bit late if you’ve already bought something but i  thought about “boot bananas”. – just trying a pair out myself

jairaj

If you want a passive dryer the dehumidifier bags work really good. They can get a bit smelly and dirty after a few goes in wet muddy shoes but a little spray with antiseptic sorts that out.

Another alternative is a cloth bag with kitty litter. Doesn’t work quite as well but has the advantage that you can stick the cloth bag in the washing machine every now and then.

bigblackshed

I went with silica cat litter in a pair of socks. Helps keep shoes fresh too.

I’ve now bought a electric shoe dryer off the classifieds. It’s basically a lower powered box fan heater with hoses to go in the shoe. Not tried it in anger yet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ve now got some (electric) in the changing rooms at work that also sanitize them with ozone.

Muddy CX lunch rides and sweet smelling, dry shoes to ride home in. What a time to be alive!

smiffy

We’ve now got some (electric) in the changing rooms at work that also sanitize them with ozone.

Muddy CX lunch rides and sweet smelling, dry shoes to ride home in. What a time to be alive!

Sounds amazing, however, when not in your shoes are they pumping ozone into the room? (WEL 0.2ppm (15 minute time weighted average – EH40 (2005) updated 2011).

DezB
    Free Member

Bit late if you’ve already bought something but i thought about “boot bananas”. – just trying a pair out myself

Anyone wants to try a pair of these, will sell for a bargain price. Bought some to keep in my locker at work, but never used em. Goretex boots have done away with the need. Still in the original ziploc bag.
    These:

9 Creature Comforts To Make Winter Riding Better

sandwicheater

Hey DezB, what would you want for the shoe penis banana?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds amazing, however, when not in your shoes are they pumping ozone into the room? (WEL 0.2ppm (15 minute time weighted average – EH40 (2005) updated 2011).

It’s a dedicated drying room (old office with a dehumidifier) so no ones in there for more than a minute and the ozone function is on quite a short timer (I think 15 minutes, and the hot air part is 90).

Dunno how much of a gimmick it is, or how much ozone they actually produce but I always switch it on anyway.

slightreturn
    Free Member

I have the Drysure ones. They are decent. I picked them up from amazon for £13

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I sell (and use) these to dry my bike shoes. They require a USB battery.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aironaut-USB-Battery-Powered-Shoe-Dryer/333489502380

peekay

Can’t you just put them on a radiator?
    I have wet and muddy road, MTB or running shoes most days throughout winter, my wife generates a similar amount of wet trainers and boots. If you put them on the radiator to dry out soon after getting in the house then they don’t get the chance to develop smells. Quick bang against the wall once dry to get the loose mud off then they are good to go again.

jkomo

Sandy they look pretty nifty.
    I like the fact you could start drying your shoes in the car driving home.
    More info please!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just had a quick google and the one’s we have at work are the ones that come up if you google “digital ozone shoe drier”

null

Can’t you just put them on a radiator?
    I have wet and muddy road, MTB or running shoes most days throughout winter, my wife generates a similar amount of wet trainers and boots. If you put them on the radiator to dry out soon after getting in the house then they don’t get the chance to develop smells. Quick bang against the wall once dry to get the loose mud off then they are good to go again.

Yep, but having the shoe drier means the shoes live out in the unheated garage or conservatory, rather than stacked up on the radiator in the hallway filling the house with the smell of drying dog poo 🐕💩

Only £25-£40, one of the better value outdoorsy gizmo’s IME!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shoe drying racks

I bought a forced air drying one. One of the best things I’ve ever done given how wet running shoes are getting at the min. No more stinky horrible trainers, and they are lasting longer too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of the best things I’ve ever done given how wet running shoes are getting at the min

Asics Gore-tex running shoes are a revelation for road running in winter, I know a lot of hill runners don’t like them as they hold water, but for winter road running and the amount of puddles about, they are brilliant.

Other brands are available, obviously. 🙂

mattbee

I’ve got one like TISAS picture. It’s ace. Doesn’t matter how wet shoes are, 90 min on that and they are usually bone dry or at worst need another cycle of 60-90 min. Had it for about 3 years now.
    I wouldn’t be without it.
    I use it for my work shoes/boots as well as cycling shoes. Also great for warming gloves before putting them in which is handy for the wife as she has Raynards and really struggle with cold hands.

lovewookie

make some?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Ski-Boot-Dryer-batterymains/

I’ll be giving this a go as I have these in the house:

and all they do is make damp boots into warm damp boots.

phil5556

Ours go on top of the boiler, works really well. Makes the utility room stink 🤨

lornholio
    Free Member

Silica gel inside a pair of cut-off tights is indeed the answer. Less than £10 for 1kg of silica on eBay. 500g would probably do you if it’s only ever going to be for bike shoes.

kayak23

I’ve got one of those pictured by TINAS. Not been that impressed to be honest with FiveTens, they seemed to need about 3 hours to make a dent in saturated shoes.

RustyNissanPrairie

I use these in my Haix boots
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/544-96-40-01-Husqvarna-Dryer/dp/B009X7T296

Drying leather too quick causes damage, I leave these in overnight.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Shoe dryers’ is closed to new replies.