Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shimano vs Specialized shoes
  • damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve had Spesh mtb shoes for years, first the comp and the last two pairs have been Pros. My current ones are dying. I think the sole has worn too much as even with new cleats they rock sideways on the pedal and rattle.

I know they fit me well and can’t go wrong with them, but they’re so damn expensive now! 170 quid for Pros!

So what are Shimano shoes like? Or any other brand (not Sidis). Need to have a ratchet strap and be <100.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have had both and much prefer the fit of my Specialized shoes. Do you need the pro version? I’ve found the BG sports more than adequate.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Not much to choose between the BG Comps I have and the M077s I had in terms of fit.

Going to get the M162s next because I fancy something racy, but hard wearing. The BGs are more XCey for me.

bryan-g-

I have Specialized,Shimano and Sidi and find them all pretty much indestructible. The Specialized are pro something I can’t remember exact model but they are about 10 years old and still fine. The Shimano were also top end at the time only 8 years old and also in good order. The Sidi are Dragon 3s and not a year old but 2 previous pairs lasted for years, one of which I ripped on a barbed wire fence and the others are retired in the shed .

ludoles
    Free Member

I personally prefer shimano over specialized as a matter of comfort, there’s some good reviews of both at http://www.cheapcycleshoes.com – might be worth doing some research there

mildred

They fit very different for like sizes. Make sure you go and try rather than buy from Internet. I was astonished at the difference. Shimano feel small for size and particularly narrow.

JoeG
    Free Member

I like Shimano only because they have a rubber tread which is a lot grippier than the hard plastic tread that I have seen on Spec. The hard plastic ones can make wet rock or wood slick as ice! Of course, this isn’t a problem if you stay on the bike… 😳

rOcKeTdOg

Have always found shimano to be weirdly sized, tried spesh last year snd they are like wearing your old fav slippers, i’d deffo go for spesh again

damitamit
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Probably stick with some cheaper Spesh or gonna go try some Giro Gauge’s on. They seem to get good reviews.

Aidy
    Free Member

Specialized shoes fit me loads better than Shimanos – although I’ve an idea that going a size up in Shimanos might have helped matters.

I’ve just bought some BG Comps (to replace some very tired BG Pros), which have ratchets. I’m very impressed. Bar the carbon sole, the design appears to be practically identical, allowing for age variation, and the newer ratchets are loads better to use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find spesh to be much wider than shimano, although odly I find SIDI good as well, despite their fit being apaprently on the narrow side.

damitamit
    Free Member

I tried on some Spesh Comps in Evans last night.

Tbh, compared to my old Pros they felt a bit cheap! The tongue wasnt finished very well. They fit good thou but for £100 seem a bit low rent. Also, the sole was noticeably more flexible than my Pros.

Ordered a set of Giro Gauges to try on.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I use both Shimano and Specialized hard to spot the difference to be honest.
    Carnac are the only other shoe I have used and rate them but are difficult to find.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Giro Gauge’s here. Like wearing slippers. They come with different arch support inserts too.

jimmers
    Free Member

I find Shimano more comfortable but to be honest I believe it depends on the shape of your foot.

If you’ve never bought Shimano, buy some in the sales and try them out. If you don’t like go back to Spesh.

Aidy
    Free Member

Tbh, compared to my old Pros they felt a bit cheap!

Odd, wonder if they’ve changed again (or if my Pros were just that old).
    Possibly the super-bargain price I bought my Comps for has blinded me a bit to their flaws 🙂

Mackem

Shimano M161 (think they might be called 162 now). Great shoe. Like you I came from Specialized pros.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shimano vs Specialized shoes’ is closed to new replies.