Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • shimano slx 10 speed chains.
  • paladin

Am I correct in thinking that there’s no reusable links which can be used on these? Anytime I take my chain off, I’ll need to fit a new pin?

Lad in halfords said you can reuse the pins, but I noticed there’s a small sliver of metal which shears off when you push them out, so I’m not sure it’d be a good idea…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Don’t re-use the pins, if you’re joining a Shimano 10sp chain either use the special Shimano joining pin, or even better use another brand’s quick-link, like KMC.

br
    Free Member

He’s right in that you can, but I wouldn’t as it can create a weak spot if you’re not lucky – far better just buy a pack of pins.

acidchunks

Kmc make 10spd compatible quicklinks as do sram, both are removable/reusable using the KMC tool (£8) although the sram ones are supposed to be single use.

Reusing the pins will work as a trailside bodge if you have to but in my experience they will fail eventually.

🙂

paladin

Like this ?

batman11
    Free Member

Yep kmc do a twin pack and connex a single link pack, bothdo the same main difference is kmc you do need the reverse pliers to get it apart and the connex you can do with your fingers as I did last Sunday when I snapped my mech hanger off and had to walk back 😀 both are about £8 only thing of not is the connex has a slight curve which does have to follow the cog curver or it tends to jump gear on the small cogs ok.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes, but obviously the Shim/SRAM/KMC version not the Campag one. Might also want to pick up the special pliers referred to above, as they can be quite tight to remove when new.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘shimano slx 10 speed chains.’ is closed to new replies.