Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano Mineral Oil Question
  • butcher

Does it have to be Shimano. Or can you buy a gallon for £3.50 at the local motor factor?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Always used Citroen hydraulic stuff from Halfords. Just green rather than red and cheaper

butcher

Cool. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, it looks like I’ll be popping into Halfords on Monday.

neiladams
    Free Member

I used the Citroen stuff from Halfords and it caused me a major headache. The master cylinder blew a seal so I returned it under warranty. They said it had happened because I had not used the recommended oil and the oil I had used was more viscous than the Shimano stuff. I eventually got it sorted out but since then I only use the Shimano stuff. This was the m785 XT brakes.

Kuco

Used the Citroen stuff for years and had no problems.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’ve used the shimano stuff for years and have never had a problem.

butcher

I used the Citroen stuff from Halfords and it caused me a major headache. The master cylinder blew a seal so I returned it under warranty. They said it had happened because I had not used the recommended oil and the oil I had used was more viscous than the Shimano stuff. I eventually got it sorted out but since then I only use the Shimano stuff. This was the m785 XT brakes.

I knew someone would spoil the party 😡 😉

jameso

A gallon? It’ll last you 20 years ) just buy the right stuff.. I bought a litre of Shimano mineral oil 7 years ago and still have most of it, soaking up water from the atmosphere apparently and only good to shine up paintwork in the winter, or something. That’s why they sell those sensibly small bottles.

FOG

I actually asked one of the Halfords mechanics and he claimed they used the greenATF fluid themselves.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

You could always use the Weldtite or Bikehut stuff, about £5 for a small bottle.

JAG

soaking up water from the atmosphere apparently

That doesn’t happen with the Mineral oils – this only happens with the Glycol based stuff like DOT 3, DOT4 or DOT5.1 etc…

fenred
    Free Member

That’s why they sell those sensibly small bottles.

This. Shimano MO isn’t expensive and unless you own an lbs a couple bottles will prob outlast your current brake set/s.

jameso

That doesn’t happen with the Mineral oils

Ah, I remembered wrong ) It obviously isn’t an issue / doesn’t happen as I’m still using that litre bottle and my brakes work fine..

matther01
    Free Member

£20+ for 1l Shimano MO…which a normal person wouldn’t get through in a lifetime and a fiver for a small bottle from the likes of Epic.

I went for Castrol HMSO MO 500ml for a fiver.

If it’s good enough for Rolls and Jags…surely good enough for my brakes?! 😮

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Mineral Oil Question’ is closed to new replies.