Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano mineral oil equivalents.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Shimano mineral oil equivalents.
  • Ambrose

I seem to be awash with DOT fluid which I know can’t be used in Shimano systems.

I also have loads of Reverb fluid and various weights of suspension fluid. I seem to remember something about these being compatible and not damaging the seals. If I can use them I’d prefer to, rather than go into Swansea to buy yet another bottle of stuff. Looking after the pennies etc. See also Ambrose saves the planet, one bottle at a time.

dyna-ti

I’ve been using stuff i got out a motoring center/suppliers. It was i think £7 for a ltr

tthew

Citroen LHM fluid is probably the one you’re thinking of. Definitely don’t bodge suspension stuff in it, designed for lubrication not hydraulic applications.

scotroutes

TBH, unless you are intending to use industrial quantities of the stuff, it’s not worth considering alternatives.

quentyn

During lockdown I heard many people having success with baby oil – YMMV

wordnumb
    Free Member

it’s not worth considering alternatives

The perennial “leaking Shimano seals” threads don’t write themselves.

crazy-legs

TBH, unless you are intending to use industrial quantities of the stuff, it’s not worth considering alternatives.

This. It’s a safety critical application, just use the proper stuff in the proper way.

I just get my LBS to do it – that way I don’t have an opened bottle of fluid sitting around for years just waiting to be used. It’s one of those jobs that I can do myself if needs be but there’s little point buying a bottle of fluid for a job that needs doing once a year at most.

nickc

echo the thoughts of other posters, unless you’re looking after a fleet of bikes and bleeding them all at once, I genuinely don’t get why folks don’t buy Shimano mineral oil, it makes no sense to me at all why you’d buy anything else.

matt_outandabout

The perennial “leaking Shimano seals” threads don’t write themselves

Yet here I am having only ever used Shimano oil and have just gone Shigura today after another set of calipers get covered in a light black oily dusty layer….

jimmy748

Putoline HPX R 2.5 is what you want, gives a much better bleed without a wandering bite point.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yet here I am having only ever used Shimano oil and have just gone Shigura today after another set of calipers get covered in a light black oily dusty layer

And oddly since I’m not longer in a shop and don’t have access to the right stuff of which I used nothing but when servicing others brakes …. Which would still end up leaking after not long enough.

I use lhm.on my bikes and have stopped having leaking issues with my mineral based brakes …..(Albe it both are road sti units…  I use anything but Shimano brakes where possible – when it comes to road stis the alternatives are crap)

Neb

Putoline HPX R 2.5 is what you want, gives a much better bleed without a wandering bite point.

Same. It works better than Shimano mineral oil – easier bleed, no bite point wandering, less change of feel in cold temperatures, cheaper.

ads678

LHM from Halfords. It’s green so must be cool!

Works great on my Shimano and Magura brakes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m another one using Putoline HPX. It works really well and is what Intend have designed their Trinity brakes around.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yet here I am having only ever used Shimano oil…

Oh I was just kidding. Never personally had a problem with Shimano brakes in my limited experience of not swapping what works and always using the recommended juice, not that I ever seem to need to bleed them.  Braking’s for weaklings anyway, it only leads to slowing down or stopping.

jkomo

Don’t forget this PSA:
    Shimano Disc Brake Mineral Oil 1L

Ambrose

Many thanks folks. Now, what to do with 500ml of Reverb fluid? I don’t have a Reverb any more.

jimmy748

The reverb oil will be fine in Shimano brakes, it’s just 2.5wt mineral oil.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Another one using plutoline hpxr here. Have done for a few years now

Had 3000 miles on some shimano brakes on the last enduro bike, and 2500 miles on the current trail bike with no issues, only the improvements mentioned above. Main benefit for me is easier bleeding in cold weather.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve only used LHM fluid in my Shimano brakes, including some XTM755 4 pots which have worked flawlessly for 20 years. That’s currently 10 sets of brakes non of which is less than 5 years old.

The only time I’ve ever had the leak issue was with a brand new brake which was replaced under warranty. The replacement was immediately bled with LHM as I had to shorten the hose and that has worked fine for 8 years now.

Ambrose

Ta.

snotrag

I’m still only about 80% of the way through the litre bottle of Shimano fluid I bought in 2007.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.