Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano hydraulic road brakes with mechanical shifting?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Just what is says on the tin. Looking for a Shimano system for my cx bike. Ultegra seems to be with electronic shifting as well unless I’m missing something and that’s just too much money.

Pointers please!

njee20
    Free Member

R685 shifters/brakes are hydro disc with mechanical shifting.

redted
    Free Member

I had a set of the R685 on my CX bike which are prototypes. They never sent me any rotors so I ran SLX rotors with them, but I took them off after a month and went back to CX77 mechanicals. They were very powerful but difficult to modulate, for example, if I was dismounting for a hurdle, and was stood on one pedal, I had a couple of moments where I nearly went over the bars, because the brakes were either on or off, and on bumpy ground it was quite difficult to avoid the bike stopping dead and throwing you forward. The levers which admittedly look very compact compared to Sram’s offering, still felt very big compared to the new 11 speed 105 offerings which feel nice and compact. The hoods felt quite baggy too and weren’t a great fit around the lever but they might be improved for the production ones. I wouldn’t say they were rubbish, the power is certainly there, the production ones might be better but I think there’s a bit of a wait for them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Seem to be in stock here?
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?product=102807;dbp=0;page=1;content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,4,320,322;lang=2

I’m definitely waiting for some feedback before buying tho (thanks redted). Remember they need an 11 speed disc hub too, you can’t just fit an 11 speed road cassette on (most) 10 speed disc hubs.

redted
    Free Member

Those look slightly different to mine so there may be improvements. The description also mentions some adjustment, I’ll have a look on mine but there didn’t seem to be any, so looking at those you probably could tune them a bit to improve the feel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano hydraulic road brakes with mechanical shifting?’ is closed to new replies.