Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano Ep8 vs Bosch Cx gen 4 ebike motors.
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Thinking about getting an ebike but not sure which of these motors is considered the better of the two?
    I’ve read things about the bosch making knocking noises on descents when the power isn’t being used. On the flip side I’ve also read that no one services or repairs the Shimano motors which becomes a problem after the two year warranty has run out. Does anyone who rides with one of these motors have anything positive or negative to say about them and how they ride? Many thanks.

julians
    Free Member

Bosch is most powerful motor , but the controls and displays are rubbish.

Shimano controls and displays are good, and the app allows you to customise the different assist levels.

The very latest version (released last month or so) of the bosch motor also allows customisation of the assist levels,but the previous version didn’t.

Some people say that the bosch is more efficient with its power than the shimano, but when I’ve been on rides with people with both systems they’ve been evenly matched.

Having said all that I think both systems are pretty close in ability, with minor pros and cons. So I’d pick based on the bike, geo, components, and price, rather than the motor system the bike uses.

mboy
    Free Member

The Bosch motor feels punchier, which you may or may not like…

The Shimano motor feels more natural, more like an extension of the rider, less impressive in the car park test but easier to manage on the trails.

But there’s not a lot in it, and whichever system you pick, you’ll get used to it pretty quickly anyway.

I’d pick based on the bike, geo, components, and price, rather than the motor system the bike uses.

Pretty much this, but with a real emphasis on the geometry (and suitability for the individual) as components in particular on an eBike will not only wear out faster, but are a smaller percentage of the original purchase price compared to a conventional bike anyway…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    doomanic

I’ve ridden both and I prefer the Bosch both because it is more powerful, punchier and (in my experience) economical than the EP8. That being said, there are great bikes out there using both systems.

Both systems make knocking noises but I don’t notice it over all the trail chatter.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    It’s nice to know that I don’t have to discount any bikes because of the motor. Its always reassuring to hear from actual users rather than just reading reviews.

transition1
    Free Member

I have an ep8 although mine is the RS on the Rise, for me it’s an amazing bike, very natural feeling motor, but only max 60n, I would join emtb forum for more feedback. The Bosch is a more powerful motor & latest 2022 bikes have new system & software that can tune like Shimano, their controls on Bosch are big & bulky,

riklegge

I had a bike with the EP8, and found it did make the knocking noises. Lots of friends have the Bosch, it was pretty similar on noise. As others have said, I’d decide based on other factors but of there were two bikes that both fit the bill and the only difference was the motor, I’d be swayed towards the Bosch. This is because I had a few issues with my Shimano and there was nobody local who could service it. Also, I wanted to upgrade the cranks to Hope but these were not available in the Shimano fitting (at the time at least, not sure if this has changed).

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We had both in our household, now Shimano & Brose.

The Shimano is noticeably the least powerful & the most hungry on battery. The current (not brand new) Bosch system was as powerful as the EP8 for a setting lower & whilst the new Brose isn’t as ‘grunty’ as the Bosch if you spin it, it’s got more power (and it’s very quiet compared to both).

Shimano rattle is more noticeable than the Bosch, it is actually quite annoying, if you have a quiet bike.

Integration/controls of the Bosch are shyte. Shimano is better, Spec is better still.

I wouldn’t discount a Shimano system’d bike, but the total lack of serviceability of the system is an issue, and they do like to go through motor bearings 🤦‍♂️

argee

Also worth remembering that there’s also the Yamaha PW-X2/X3, Dyname 3.0/4.0, Brose and so on.

From my understanding, and usage of a couple of the designs, the reality is they’re just brushless motors with similar controllers, that simply just draws current to match the load on the system, the basics across them all are the same, again battery design is similar across them as well, we’re talking about 50 year old tech that’s being progressed in many other fields.

The issue for me is how well designed and integrated they are, i have a giant e-reign just now, integration is not great, i wouldn’t buy another if they keep to this standard of design, i had a cube with the bosch gen4, it was good, but died and was refunded, again design of the wiring loom was a bit rubbish.

My main shortlist for any ebike buying now is simple, i check the support network for that bike against my location, i am not going to buy long distance, and i am not going to buy something from a shop that sell ebikes, but have no ability to maintain them, as a minimum i would expect them to be able to field warranty claims and modifications where required by the design organisation. Then after i have confidence in that, i can go look at bikes and pick one i like!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve only ever ridden one ebike, with Shimano E8000.
    I think it’s brilliant and never let me down in two years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Ep8 vs Bosch Cx gen 4 ebike motors.’ is closed to new replies.