Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano brake query
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Just fitted some new SLX brakes from Rose so did the lever swap today.

One brake is very spongy, so presumably I got some air in their, and assume a bleed will fix that.

Now, the other one is very firm, but some oil leaks out of the reservoir every time the brakes are applied. Will a bleed sort this out as well, or does this mean the lid is a bit loose? The reservoir needs a small hex plus a small Torx to tighten it.

Thanks

iamroughrider
    Free Member

shouldn’t do that from new, uless they’ve been rebled at some point and are faulty, or the seal has not seated correctly. I suppose needing a rebleed is one thing. Leakages from new would concern me tbh, unless it’s simple. I’d get in contact with them first before they become used goods. They should replace them, as long as you do not start trying to fix them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

All I’ve done to them is shorten the hoses which I think is fair enough. I’ll email Rose and see what they say. Thanks.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i should add that i have haven’t used rosebikes yet – so it’s only my opinion, or what i’d do.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably the best thing to do whoever they’re from.

Scapegoat

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to try tightening the reservoir cap before declaring it knackered…. A load of hassle to post them back, when it may just need nipping up. You’ve shortened the hose, so its already used. Try and fix them unless you are a complete ham-fisted bodger 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

fair point, if it’s just a simple issue, except he’d need to get the required tools, and maybe put marks on the torx bolts. But then again having the tools is good anyway.

Like you say there’s postage too..

Scapegoat

I can’t get why marking the torx cap will be an issue if the hoses have already been swapped? A decent T10 screwdriver costs less than a fiver, and he’ll need one to bleed them next time anyway.

duir
    Free Member

I had leaking fluid from my new XT brakes from the master cylinder after a cut and re-bleed. The brakes felt great with loads of bite and not spongy at all. So I spent a few rides wiping away the fluid and after 2-3 rides it stopped and the brakes have been perfect ever since.I read somewhere that it’s easy to overfill on bleed and there is a function to allow seepage. Also undoing the bleed port raises the cap a little and that allows a little overflow.

Do a re-bleed, then check the torx screws are tight and the connectors done up correctly.Wipe away the excess for a few rides and see if it stops and the brakes still feel fine.

If not they are knackered.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Surely shortening the hose shouldn’t affect their response if the lever is faulty?

thegreatape
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, I emailed the chap at epicbleedsolutions and he reckoned this was fine, just excess fluid in the system after shortening and that it’ll sort itself out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake query’ is closed to new replies.