Home Forums Bike Forum Shigura time – barbs and olives?

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Neb.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shigura time – barbs and olives?
  • matt_outandabout

Fed up of my Shimano calipers, and I happen to have two Magura calipers in the spares box….

Are the Magura barbs and olives any different? The plan is to keep the Shimano lever and cable – the change to Magura is at the caliper end. This is different from what lots of folk have done, but my Magura calipers have damaged cables….

bikerevivesheffield

You will be fine using the Shimano ones Matt, done it several times

matt_outandabout

Excellent.

stingmered

Think I used Magura on Magura hoses, worked fine also.

honourablegeorge

you don’t use a barb and olive at the caliper end, though? The fittings are crimped on at that end?

honourablegeorge

ah, looking at pics of a few magura calipers, looks liek their fittings are not’ crimped. Nice.

matt_outandabout

Yep – our MT5’s are bolt/crimp in… 8)

nixie

The other option is jagwire hoses. They make a kit that uses the same hose and different end adaptors. You match the adapter to the caliper/lever so that’s correct and the hose works as it should with the ends. Not the cheapest option though

colournoise

Magura hoses, barbs and olives here on Zee levers with good results.

Also had Shimano fittings on Magura hoses for a short while, but not long enough to judge looking term effectiveness. Worked fine while they were there though.

reeksy

As above the fitting is different. I bought a magura fitting hose on ebay that has been fine.

Neb

Uberbike hoses worked well for me. Shimano fittings on one end and magura on the other.

On magura hoses the inner diameter is a little bigger so I’d heard that using magura barbs is a little more secure.

Both bikes set up as shigura, genuinely the best brakes I’ve used. But you may take a wee while to get used to the bite…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.