Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • shifting woes help please
  • karnali
    Free Member

trouble sorting thgears on teh wifes cube ams

put a cassette and chain on that hav had 100 miles dry use on the cross bike on road as the stuff on there was not shifting properly around the middle gears and no amounts of patience with the barrel adjuster would work so assumed just to worn.

stuff on as i said was new 100 dry road miles ago so thought should be no problmes.

if get it shifting correctly up from 11 cog to the next 2 or 3 cogs, it then insisits on jumping up 2 higher up the cassette from 4 easiest ot 2nd easist cogs. If i get it shifting correctly at the top end of the cassette it won’t shift up enough to get off the 11 t cog and the next 2.

Any possible solutions or ofers of how to sort it greatly apreciated as it is now annoying me. Can it be the rear mech on its way out, its a few ears old but not seen that much use.

ta

uplink
    Free Member

I’d start with a new cable

speckledbob
    Free Member

Could be the gear hanger.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It could well be a worn chain and chainrings, but it doesn’t normally jump from one sprocket to the other when the chain is worn like that.

The best thing to do is drop down to the granny ring and try going through the gears and see if it jumps in the same place as in the middle ring. If it does, then it’s unlikely to be the chain/cassette/chainring.

Your mech might have worn pivots causing the sloppy shifting. I guess you use Shimano shifters and mech?

tinribz
    Free Member

Follow the steps for setting up,

1. take out the cable,

2. run the chain and use the adjuster screw (un-intuative one) to get the jocky wheel aligned with the biggest cog.

3. attach cable. Go from there with the cable adjuster.

Youtube is your friend.

coatesy
    Free Member

Assuming your cables are in good order, poor shifting at one end of the cassette whilst the other end is fine, is usually down to a bent mech hanger.

tablesalt
    Free Member

or a lose hanger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘shifting woes help please’ is closed to new replies.