Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sherwood
  • oily67
    Free Member

First off, it’s my first post so be gentle.

We’re heading to Centre Parcs Sherwood Forest in a few weeks time and were wondering if there is any decent riding to be had nearby.

Having read a few posts about the apparent bad state of the trails at Sherwood Pines, I’d like to know if there’s anything else that you good people could recommend. It’ll be for myself and my son (11) who is perfectly capable of completing the red route at GT, so anything of a similar level should be ok.

Thanks in advance.

haddock
    Free Member

Well, try pines to make your own mind up, I like it but seem to be going against the flow somewhat! …and welcome! 😆

Mugboo

Pines is good for a proper blast, the faster you can pedal and the less suspension you’ve got the better it will ride..

Plus they’ve got a sort of freeride section thats worth a look.

Spud

Pines is your best bet, straight out of CP’s gates. Peak District an hour away. The trail has it’s moments but isn’t as bad as described on the other post (yet).

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I like pines too. Ride fast and it’s a laugh.

abductee
    Free Member

My lad did the red route at Sherwood pines when he was 8. It isn’t difficult and I think that’s why people complain. If it’s rained a lot it can get muddy in places. the only real danger is the off camber corners but if you slow down they are fine. If you want something more technical go to the peak district. For most riders, Sherwood pines will be enjoyable but if you’ve spent a lot of time on steep rocky stuff then you might find it a bit tame.

http://www.sherwoodpines.yolasite.com

adey205
    Free Member

welcome oily.
    yes pines is ok, but remember it when it was better.
    anyway, to your question. the other thread is my excuse to have a rant and moan, so if it’s just you and your son, i can say yes give it a go.
    might make me sound a bit hypocritical, but hey, i think i can consider myself fairly well qualified to be so.

would agree with abductee though, and say if you want something a bit “gnarlier” then the peaks would be well worth a try

Susie
    Free Member

I also like the new trail at Sherwood Pines, dispite falling off, breaking my arm and ruining my holiday to Morzine. The trail isn’t difficult, I’ve no idea how I managed to bin it. It is a pretty fast route, but not really technical enough to warrant a red grading. There were plenty of kids riding it when I went.

This trail has only been open for a short time, we used to just ride around and when we saw some singletrack, just hop onto it. There are some bits that are for walkers only, but these are signposted. You shouldn’t get lost, when you’ve had enough just get on the fireroads and you should find your way back.

adey205
    Free Member

if you have an idea of when you’re coming,perhaps we could sort something out and maybe i could guide you round

oily67
    Free Member

Thanks for all the welcomes and the info folks.

As we’ll probably only have a one day “free pass” from the missus I think the Peaks might be too much of an ask this time, but it’s fuel for thought. Having never ventured into the Peak district then I’d be looking for info here too.

Adey205 that would be great ! We’re gonna be in the area for a week from the 13th July. However, there’s no guarantee on my behalf we’ll be bringing the bikes along, as I’m still stuggling with a neck & shoulder injury sustained a few weeks ago at GT. If it clears up enough in the next week or so then we’re on for sure. If it does then I think we’ll be bringing 3 bikes – my FS & HT and my sons HT.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I was up at Sherwood Pines on Saturday morning for my regular post-nightshift blast and generally the red route is riding really well at the moment, with the trail work that has been done on a few sections really helping to improve the flow and stop it becoming such a quagmire (giggity giggity) when it rains.

The only bad point is the first section of the red route, which probably sees the most traffic by less experienced riders due to its proximity to the car park, is getting quite badly cut-up and braking bump riddled, ruining what was until quite recently an excellently flowing piece of trail. That said though I wouldn’t let that put anyone off paying The Pines a visit though, its still a cracking place to ride.

cp

yep, i like sherwood pines too – generally the faster you ride the trails, the more rewarding they are. i don’t know if they were built or conceived this way, but it seems a lot of them you can just pootle on, or put the hammer down and have a blast!

there’s also a jump area – which is good fun 🙂

Marmoset
    Free Member

Thumbs up for the pines from me. Was at CP in March and for a blast out of the gate of CP I reckon it’s great. As above, ride it fast and it does the job, certainly gave me my fix and you won’t get into trouble after being out for just over an hour, you may even be let out again!

jackthedog
    Free Member

As we’ll probably only have a one day “free pass” from the missus I think the Peaks might be too much of an ask this time, but it’s fuel for thought. Having never ventured into the Peak district then I’d be looking for info here too.

It’s not much more than an hour or so in the car, perfectly doable. I live on the edge of the Peak and for a change of scenery we did Sherwood Pines a few months ago. Up early, drive down, two laps of the kitchner trail including a short play in that freeride park area and drive back – we were home for about 2pm. If you’ve got all day and access to the car, you could get out for a decent peak ride, easy.

Kramer
    Free Member

Take the Mrs with you. Loads to do in the Peaks.

oily67
    Free Member

Eh …. was hoping to have a day away from her & the kids. Seriously though, I could always drop them off somewhere and let them amble about on their own.
    My local stuff is not too flat but I suspect the Peaks might be a bit more of a challenge. I’ll wait and see if the neck & shoulder repair themselves first before committing to anything.
    Thanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood’ is closed to new replies.