Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Shard Climb
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Interesting:

http://iceclimb.savethearctic.org/

6 female climbers climbing the shard as I type in a Greenpeace protest about Shell drilling near the North Pole. Live webcast above.

retro83
    Free Member

Who the fudge designed that website? It keeps scrolling around by itself while you are trying to read it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I can only imagine the quivering that’s going on at Shell HQ today.

What? They’re going to hang an ‘art installation’ up there? Oh noes! Art? We’d better think again about our entire corporate strategy! Let’s start breeding ickle fluffy kitteh catz instead. Everyone loves a kitteh, so we’ll become ShellFluffy instead.

mrmoofo

I can see the world changing before my very eyes – fracking will stop, Gitmo will be closd and they will stop flying planes that poison up with com-trails …

Ok – so it get Greenpeace publicity …

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just looked out the window and from here, directly on the northside of the river, and can’t see a thing ??

So are they around the other side? And if so.. I wonder what the nice people of Bermondsea and Thamesmead think of thier nice display

headfirst
    Free Member

Yeah what a waste of time, we should all let multinationals do what they like because we all know they’ve got our best interests at heart.

And Greenpeace have never had any effect on Shell’s actions….two words for you: Brent Spar

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Good on them.
    Stunts like this help raise awareness about some of the really shit things companies like this do.
    Or, we could just bend over and be **** up the arse so rich people can get richer.
    Anyway, looks like fun climbing that. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I can only imagine the quivering that’s going on at Shell HQ today.

Apathy.

mogrim

Anyway, looks like fun climbing that.

You reckon? Looks a pretty tiring and crap climb to me. It’s all the same, doesn’t look too technically difficult, just tiring. Good views though.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What grade do you reckon it is? 😀

brakes
    Free Member

I can see them from the North side of the river near the Tower of London.
    It’s not really a spectator sport, especially from half a mile away.

DezB
    Free Member

Apparently, as they go higher they’ll be able to look down on more and more things.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What’s wrong with drilling near the North Pole?

bigjim

It’s probably good to raise general awareness of drilling in the arctic, but it’ll never be stopped. There isn’t an oil resource on earth that won’t ultimately be exploited, that’s one thing I’ve learnt from working in environmental consultancy.

Greenpeace are terrible negative campaigners though, by doing things that annoy and disrupt the public they put environmental campaigning in a negative light, I really wish they’d stop it, I guess this one isn’t too bad.

mark90
    Free Member

Not seen any funny signs or Shell logos on the windows they are climbing past. The people in that building have no imagination.

brakes
    Free Member

probably empty isn’t it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its against the word of god?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

reading the paper at the weekend, the majority of the Shard is still empty other than the restaurant levels.

binners

The trouble with stuff like this is that in 4 years time it’ll come out that they were all just undercover coppers having a laugh

tomhoward

Let’s start breeding ickle fluffy kitteh catz instead. Everyone loves a kitteh, so we’ll become ShellFluffy instead.

I’m in, where do I invest?

maxtorque

To get proper publicity, one of them will have to fall off and die doing it. Wonder who’s drawn the short straw………………

maxtorque

Junkyard

Surely that’s really silly? If they drilled near the south pole that would be at the “bottom” and so they wouldn’t need to pump the oil out???

andyfla
    Free Member

Brent spar was interesting, free peace told some outrageous lies about what was on the platform and then 6 months later issued a quiet press lease that they were wrong, I think it would have made an excellent marine refuge, much better than cutting it up on land, a bit like the rainbow warrior ?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Oh I don’t realise they were still climbing it ( I thought they were already up it)

I’ll go and have a another look… I’ll be back in a bit with a progress update.

DezB
    Free Member

I think you might find the higher they are, the smaller they will appear to be.
    (I’ll have to confirm that from the Greenpeace site though)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nope … still can’t see ’em 😥

Right I’m going out onto the roof teriss to have a proper look

Hold on

fr0sty125
    Free Member

binners – Member
    The trouble with stuff like this is that in 4 years time it’ll come out that they were all just undercover coppers having a laugh

😆

andyfla
    Free Member

Brent spar was interesting, Greenpeace told some outrageous lies about what was on the platform and then 6 months later issued a quiet press lease that they were wrong, I think it would have made an excellent marine refuge, much better than cutting it up on land.

One rule for Greenpeace (rainbow warrior ) and one for the nasty big companies.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I am defo close enough to see that the north and west side of the Shard is ladyless…. rubbish

allthepies
    Free Member

Holy hairy armpits batman.

Northwind

Mr Woppit – Member

New drilling anywhere’s a bad idea (if you accept global warming, anyway), it’s all people thinking about prolonging fossil fuel dependance but drilling more oil = releasing more carbon.

The arctic campaign’s more or less artistic licence I reckon- release carbon > melt ice, and arctic drilling brings the 2 together.

andyfla – Member

Brent spar was interesting, free peace told some outrageous lies about what was on the platform and then 6 months later issued a quiet press lease that they were wrong

That’s just a tiny bit biased 😆 They released bad info, was it an “outrageous lie” or was it a mistake? Mostly it’s accepted as being a genuine mistake based on bad sampling (the figure was extraopolated from an untypical sample, essentially, it wasn’t made up from whole cloth). And then they publically apologised when the figures were found to be wrong. (And worth mentioning, incidentally, that Shell’s claim was also wrong- less than half the real figure)

But in either case, their main campaign wasn’t based on the amount of oil on the spar- some folks claim otherwise but the reality is they only got that piece of information after they’d occupied the rig, well into the campaign, so that claim just doesn’t bear any inspection.

brakes
    Free Member

they’re on the North side.
    I can see one on the ladder structure in the middle, about 2/3rds of the way up and another on the NE corner about 1/2 way up.

[/brakes news live]

mogrim

I can see one on the ladder structure in the middle, about 2/3rds of the way up and another on the NE corner about 1/2 way up.

So basically they’re climbing a ladder on a nice sunny day. It’s not quite intercepting harpoon-armed whalers in a zodiac, is it?

brakes
    Free Member

it is a 300m climb though, and there is the psychological impact of a lot of distant and virtual scowling

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

flying whales pursued by harpoon-armed eurofighters?

tinybits
    Free Member

Jnkyard – lazarus

Its against the word of god?

Very good. I actually Loled!

takisawa2

Imagine the carnage if they had to reverse back down again…

40mpg

There were some blokes doing this the other day too, but didnt get the press attention. They even cleaned the windows on the way past! I call it sexism.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What a fuss it would be if someone opened one of the windows to let some air in and then spotted a womnaz on the other side??!
    Whatever the outcome for them it’s going to be mighty hot climbing…

Should have got Alain Robert to do it in under an hour 😆

I can see their reasoning (GPeace) but unfortunately this stunt falls flat.

mogrim

I can see their reasoning (GPeace) but unfortunately this stunt falls flat.

Wouldn’t go that far – we’re all talking about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Shard Climb’ is closed to new replies.