Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Shame on you Northeners
  • grumm
    Free Member

project, is English your native language? Because your grammar is fairly poor. Maybe you should watch out, with the BNP on the rise.

Or is that just the standard educational level amongst BNP supporters. 😛

crikey
    Free Member

The funny thing is watching the Tories, the right-wing press et al, who have spent the last 20-30 years pushing a slightly less right wing agenda, a slightly less obvious racism, now having to protest about the BNP getting support.

Well done chaps, you’ve got your message across… 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

It’s interesting that the Daily Mail have a lot of anti-BNP articles, given that I imagine a lot of Daily Mail readers probably voted BNP.

aracer
    Free Member

the Tories, the right-wing press et al, who have spent the last 20-30 years pushing a slightly less right wing agenda, a slightly less obvious racism

Have they? I’m obviously too thick to have noticed they really want to kick out blacks and asians, but are just afraid of saying it.

Only a rabid lefty could possibly make a comment like that.

project
    Free Member

grunn, bit racist that,as for the level of education of BNP mebers, Nick Grifin has a Degree in Chemistry.

I have a degree in Common Sence.

porterclough
    Free Member

It’s interesting that the Daily Mail have a lot of anti-BNP articles, given that I imagine a lot of Daily Mail readers probably voted BNP.

An odd thing to imagine.

porterclough
    Free Member

The funny thing is watching the Tories, the right-wing press et al, who have spent the last 20-30 years pushing a slightly less right wing agenda, a slightly less obvious racism, now having to protest about the BNP getting support.

And there was I thinking it was Brown who said “British jobs for British workers” and Blunkett who went on about immigrants “swamping” Britain.

It’s the collapse of the Labour vote in traditionally Labour areas (that have been betrayed by Labour some would say) that has led to this situation.

aracer
    Free Member

as for the level of education of BNP mebers, Nick Grifin has a Degree in Chemistry.

If you’re referring to my comments, then I was commenting on the level of intelligence of BNP voters. I’m quite happy to accept that their leaders might be highly intelligent – you’re unlikely to get to where they are if you’re thick. Being highly intelligent doesn’t stop you from having abhorrent views, but I suspect only a minority of the people who vote for them actually have such views (or hold them that strongly).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There is a PR system whereby you can rank your choices from 1 to whatever number of candidates is on the ballot paper. I grew up using it. If there’s a particularly distasteful candidate that the “majority” hate, they can make sure he is ranked at the bottom of their votes. A quota is set according to the number of votes cast in the .constituency, and the leftover votes get split according to the…actually, forget I tried to explain it…it’s bloody complicated but it works IME.

Sandwich

It was interesting to note that the BNP vote in Burnley has declined since the last time according to “commando” Vine

barca
    Free Member

I live in the North West and I voted BNP.

crikey
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1281213.stm

The Tory party seems to understand….

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2008/02/daily_mail_soli

The Daily Mail seems to understand…

aracer
    Free Member

There is a PR system whereby you can rank your choices from 1 to whatever number of candidates is on the ballot paper.

Yeah, STV.

aracer – Member

The second is STV, which is what I’m kind of advocating
    or on the other thread

aracer – Member

I think STV would have stopped the BNP getting in without disadvantaging the other minor parties

crikey
    Free Member
    headfirst
    Free Member

As a ‘naturalised’ Yorkshireman (originally from ‘down south’) I am saddened by the BNP’s ‘success’ in my region. Can I point out though, that 9 out of 10 of us who voted did NOT vote for these scumbags. In fact, despite grumm’s wise words, the main reason I voted was to keep the bastards out. Also, at the end of the day, what difference will it make? Having 2 MEPs hardly puts them in a position of power within the EU parliament, and I can’t imagine that there will be a long line of parties looking to form an alliance with them and even if there a few other nutters in the european parliament, mainstream parties still massively out-number them. I still think PR is a good idea. It always seems a bit illogical to me that confirmed racists want to get themselves elected so they can spend more time sat in a room full of ‘bloody foreigners’. 😉

collapse of the Labour vote

Agree. In a strange way, a no-vote is also an expression of choice.
    The BNP have simply diluted their traditional hardcore policies to create a broader appeal to the voting public.
    They’ve changed the covers on the book but not the pages in between.

BigDummy
    Free Member

“First they’ll come for the people who watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but I won’t speak up because I watch Top Gear and play golf.” 😀

grumm
    Free Member

An odd thing to imagine.

Not really given the vile, mean-spirited, bigoted nonsense that The Daily Mail spouts on a regular basis.

grumm
    Free Member

But experts insisted the BNP vote would disappear as soon as everyone could afford to go on holiday to Majorca again.

Professor Tom Logan, of Reading University, said: “Prolonged recessions do have a tendency to expose our inner racist ****, but it subsides once you get a new credit card.”

Haha – sadly that’s fairly hit the nail on the head I think.

porterclough
    Free Member

Not really given the vile, mean-spirited, bigoted nonsense that The Daily Mail spouts on a regular basis.

It wasn’t the Dail Mail type areas that voted BNP. Daily Mail readers are far too busy voting UKIP anyway.

Nick

I like the way everyone is ignoring the racist, maybe he’ll disappear if we pretend he’s not there.

barca
    Free Member

I didn’t really. I’m just bored.

aracer
    Free Member

It wasn’t the Dail Mail type areas that voted BNP

Exactly – 4.4% in the SE, 9.8% in Yorkshire and Humberside. Where do you think the DM sells more?

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah ‘only’ 100,000 people in the SE voted BNP, thus proving that The Daily Mail isn’t xenophobic, or something.

Stoner
    Free Member

Also, at the end of the day, what difference will it make? Having 2 MEPs hardly puts them in a position of power within the EU parliament, and I can’t imagine that there will be a long line of parties looking to form an alliance with them and even if there a few other nutters in the european parliament, mainstream parties still massively out-number them.

Its not the representation at this stage that’s the threat. Initially it’s the modicum of “respectability” that a democratic system offers any elected party/politician. Secondly, it’s access to central political funding, giving the party the resources to thirdly, expand the coverage and widen it’s message in the media/wider public – essentially, the money to keep polishing their turds.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Though we could look at this as an advantage – hopefully they can shoot themselves in the foot as they get a wider audience to ‘”preach” to and the wider audience realise what they are. And that audience start preaching to the people that voted for them.

antigee

well thas 1 in 10 of people that bothered to vote – no real surprise that 1 in 10 people have racist tendencies even if they wouldn’t label themselves as racist – stand at any bus stop or listen to other parents outside the school gates – check out the sort of stuff that gets posted as comments on BBC news stories about jobs losses/race attacks/urban regeneration – plenty of people with hatred for others

porterclough
    Free Member

Yeah ‘only’ 100,000 people in the SE voted BNP, thus proving that The Daily Mail isn’t xenophobic, or something.

Maybe Daily Mail readers are xenophobic, but that manifests itself as voting for UKIP. It’s xenophobic Sun readers in Labour areas that vote BNP.

And their vote went down BTW:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/

grumm
    Free Member

Not disputing that at all – I was just saying that I think it’s odd that The Daily Mail is so anti a party who’s official stance is only slightly to the right of their editorials etc.

pennine
    Free Member

Aracer: Where do you think the DM sells more?

Actually, they sell around a million more copies in the ‘so called’ south.

Nick

I didn’t really. I’m just bored.

phew 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

well thas 1 in 10 of people that bothered to vote – no real surprise that 1 in 10 people have racist tendencies even if they wouldn’t label themselves as racist – stand at any bus stop or listen to other parents outside the school gates – check out the sort of stuff that gets posted as comments on BBC news stories about jobs losses/race attacks/urban regeneration – plenty of people with hatred for others

if the Church of England is the Tory party at prayer, I suspect the far right of the Tory party is the BNP in a cardigan….

aracer
    Free Member

Still seems strange to me how all the rabid leftys keep suggesting the BNP is like the Tory party, when they’re actually picking up Labour voters.

I think it’s odd that The Daily Mail is so anti a party who’s official stance is only slightly to the right of their editorials etc.

Of course the Labour party is also only very slightly to the left of the Torys, yet they’re pretty anti them as well 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

Twice with the ‘rabid lefty’ thing, I can’t quite see how suggesting that some of the Tories and that end of the Press have a tendency towards racism is in anyway contentious. After all, the fella wouldn’t even have a moat if he didn’t want to keep people out, would he?

aracer
    Free Member

Twice with the ‘rabid lefty’ thing

Twice with the ‘BNP are like the Tories’ thing.

No more contentious I suppose than suggesting that some of Labour have a tendency towards racism.

grumm
    Free Member

Of course the Labour party is also only very slightly to the left of the Torys, yet they’re pretty anti them as well

What exactly is your point? The BNP is strongly anti-immigration and anti-Europe, so is the Daily Mail (a traditionally Tory paper) – which bit are you failing to grasp?

The BNP are picking up Labour votes through a deliberate strategy specifically targeting ‘Old Labour’ areas with seemingly ‘Old Labour’ policies, combined with a nice line in xenophobia and blaming immigrants for all the problems in these areas, which are particularly acute in the current financial situation.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Both sides have fragmented positions which mean that anti-immigration rhetoric is attractive.

For conservatives (snmall and big “c”) with an idea of “English -(or British)ness” endless immigration and a tendency to fawn over chicken tikka masala as an imporvement over anything the yokels cook is bad, while for labour/union folk immigration increasing the size of the labour force reduces the buying power of labour and benefits capital.

Meanwhile the cuddly and diverse left and the free-trading capitalist right share an enthusiasm for immigration.

aracer
    Free Member

What exactly is your point?

That according to you, being racist or not racist is only a “slight” variation.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Shame on you Northeners’ is closed to new replies.