• This topic has 585 replies, 183 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 586 total)
  • Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )
  • binners

Well joao3v16 – normally I don’t rise to it. But this is my first full day as a non-smoker so quite frankly, anyone’s fair game at the moment

My normal light, airy, freewheeling nature (think Bodyform ad) is a little lightly frayed

An insight for you into my present mindset

Actually I stand by everything I said. He’s a tool! Its that simple. I was merely pointing it out

GW
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

GW – i think you’ll find that the girlies can stand up for themselves. Have even be known to fix a puncture too. Aye, I’m well aware of the fact, it’s not actually me you need to tell that to. HIDHTM

*hope I didn’t help too much 😉

enfht
    Free Member

Please don’t go, we’ll eat you up, we love you so, and Max said NO! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

binners – Member

Well normally I don’t rise to it. But this is my first full day as a non-smoker so quite frankly, anyone’s fair game at the moment

I noticed

*Cringes away from the big scary man*

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’m not defending sexism or anything else negative but a bit of perspective is needed – it is after all just a internet forum and shouldnt be take too seriously (and as forums go it is pretty genteel and well moderated – banter amongst friends in “real life” is much worse than the banter amongst posters on here!)

GrahamS

T’is a broad Church this, I type in a broad Church, I read in a broad Church, I contribute to a broad Church.

But that’s the trouble.. all the broads are leaving the church.

grum
    Free Member

banter amongst friends in “real life” is much worse than the banter amongst posters on here!)

Aye but the thing lots of people seem to forget is they are not with their mates in the pub, they are broadcasting to everyone and anyone.

legspin
    Free Member

This place makes my arse laugh, you couldn’t invent it.

enfht
    Free Member

Oh you’re socially inept in real life as well as on the internet? That’s a shame for you.

Wasn’t me who said it, calm down treacle 😉

enfht
    Free Member

I was just about to say the exact same thing Legspin, word for word 😆

puppypower
    Free Member

Well I don’t come on here so often any more (never posted that much in the first place tho) as I find it quite sexist (among other reasons).

Didn’t see thread in question though I did see one where Sue got a VERY different response to asking if anyone fancied a beer than if a bloke had asked…

And I doubt Emmeline Pankhurst et al, if around today could be arsed with the likes of singletrackworld – as Sue says, she comes/came on here for fun – as she’s not finding it fun any more she’s leaving – who wants to have to come on a forum (which as you all validly say is just for fun, etc, etc) all the time and either put up with vile sexism or have to fight your corner by objecting to it all the time?

scaredypants

A laughing arse !

If only I could invent that, I’d be rich and famous for sure 🙁

joao3v16
    Free Member

Re. tools such as carbon337: “not responding makes the accuser look pathetic”

I.e. rather than taking issue with their ignorant posts and starting an arguement, they’d probably give up pretty quickly if we all just ignored them and continued the thread as if they didn’t exist.

Giving them any kind of attention just encourages them.

Like the annoying kid at school: ignore them and they’ll eventually get bored and leave of their own accord.

Del

i’d have a lot more sympathy for the OP if she’d stated she’d repeatedly reported posts she found offensive to the mods, but that they’d rejected the complaint, particularly if these were of the KTBDI nature.
    the button is there.
    use it if you don’t like what people are saying, or stand up for yourself, or ignore it, or go and do something less boring instead.
    this thread is a bit ‘look at me’, IMO, i’m afraid. it’s not like you’re trying to chnage anything, otherwise you’d stick around to see if anything did change.
    all the best.

nedrapier

Personally I find this kind of direct personal insult far more offensive than sexist comments …

Oh come on, he was actively fishing for it!

scaredypants

vile sexism

😐

sugdenr
    Free Member

Oh dear GW and enfht, you pair do have the ‘a**e’ part of the equation down to a tee, but the ‘smart’ is rather elusive for you isnt it

enfht
    Free Member

this thread is a bit ‘look at me’, IMO, i’m afraid

+1

Also a bit “look at me protecting the poor defensless woman”

donsimon
    Free Member

I think I’m with you on the vile sexism scardeypants, I much prefer a more positive approach to sexism, by all involved.

ransos
    Free Member

“Aye but the thing lots of people seem to forget is they are not with their mates in the pub, they are broadcasting to everyone and anyone.”

Exactly. So carrying on when you’ve been asked to stop is plain bad manners.

enfht
    Free Member

Oh sugdnr what’s the view like from up there?

GrahamS

vile sexism

I do wonder if I’m just not reading the right (wrong) threads, but I really don’t think this place is that bad.

In fact, I think generally speaking it is relatively tame. And I consider myself a fairly sensitive flower.

However, if I’ve ever posted* anything that anyone regards as “vile sexism” then I humbly apologise as that is not me, and not how I’d like others to see me.

*(I confess I did contribute to the recent marriage thread).

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Sorry to see you go Sue. If you’re in Bath and fancy a ride you’d be more than welcome to join us 🙂

Which I guess is kind of the point, our group, in fact all of the groups I’ve ridden with, include a mix of men and women and IME are all the better for it.

Waderider
    Free Member

I think the most regular of the regulars ruin the forum myself. There must be some sort of correlation between people who develop over-use behavior of internet forums, and personality disorders 🙁 .

Why do I use it? Can’t remember to be honest, probably habit.

joao3v16
    Free Member

So carrying on when you’ve been asked to stop is plain bad manners

+1

There are some things that are considered the norm or take for granted in real life that would do well to be applied in the world of interwebs fori too …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enfit – why on earth do you say that.

i see neither of those things. I see someone who is fed up leaving and letting rip at why and I see people agreeing with her.

I see no one doing a “protecting the poor defensless woman” could you point it out to me?

or is it your usual made up stuff invented to fit your odd world view ?

enfht
    Free Member

One day STW will disappear up its own (laughing) ass

jon1973
    Free Member

Pyro

I’m not a “big hitter”, nor do I converse directly with Sue or Emsz particularly often, but it’s a shame to see any section of the demographic chased away by the unthinking tittery of a minority.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think most of the sexism, or even the other forms of offense, are actually deliberate or targeted. You get the odd personal spat (see Binners and C337 above) but the majority of the grief seems to be purely failure to engage brain before typing.

Here’s a thought: Consider what you wish to express. Consider who will potentially be reading it. Consider if those audience members may take offence, bearing in mind that those audience members are not you . If you consider that they might, how about considering either rephrasing your statement to minimise that risk or just not saying it at all. The above thought process would NOT make things “boring” or “sanitised” – a rational, sensible, intelligent human being can express and consider opposing opinions without resorting to lowest-common-denominator tit-for-tat twonkery.

I saw a t-shirt I liked the other day. It read “BANTER: Because we needed a shorter way to say “acting like a t**t” “…

nickf
    Free Member

sugdenr – Member
    I didnt see the thread, I dont know you and it isnt any of my business, but i dont agree with your decision.

By doing this you are letting the purile and the ignorant carry on in the beleif that they are not accountable for their stupidity.

When the French voters became apathetic in the early millenium Le Pen gained a (thankfully short) foothold.

You need to stay and instead make a huge song and dance the moment you see any of that nonsense raising its ugly head and the rest of us must rally behind you.

Totally agreed

I typically think through what I’m saying and try not to offend people. On the rare occasions that I am offensive, it’s entirely intended, but never on the basis of race or gender.

How blokey can people be? Well, if I make a comment that would offend my (broad-minded) sister, then I’d have gone too far on the sexism scale. The boundaries may be ill-defined, but deep down we all know what is or is not acceptable.

Sad to see you go, Emsz and Sue – Emsz in particular seems to have been quite a calming influence on some of the threads, which I welcomed.

enfht
    Free Member

TJ you drive more forum users away than anyone else with the exception of ElfBoy

GrahamS

Oh dear GW and enfht, you pair do have the ‘a**e’ part of the equation down to a tee, but the ‘smart’ is rather elusive for you isnt it

Those two are on my list of posters that most often make my eyes roll – and not in a good way. But getting multiple sides to any argument is one of the good things about this place.

hels
    Free Member

I have to say, I am *loving* the way some are saying the sexism is of course our fault, cos we asked for it, and should just keep quiet and get on with it. How apt.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I saw a t-shirt I liked the other day. It read “BANTER: Because we needed a shorter way to say “acting like a t**t” “…

I just like acting like a t**t.

scaredypants

Banter is hard to “do” on the internet though. Pisstaking and caricaturing people and opinions is part of it in “person” though and so that’s how I interpret a lot of the stuff on here (maybe, just maybe, even c337)

For example, Monkfish on the fast show. Offend anyone ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edited

defydude
    Free Member

It’s all getting a bit….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-74nBVLOQ0[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Those two are on my list of posters that most often make my eyes roll.

I am too. Please tell me I am.

Oh and phillywilly, you can always refer to me in a sexual manner. Because I loikes it. 🙂

D0NK

A few people saying the sexism on here isn’t bad, they all seem to be blokes (difficult to be sure) on the other hand 2 women are leaving our little group because they believe STW is quite sexist, hmm who to believe on how much offence is being caused to the women of the forum. It’s a conundrum right enough.

philconsequence
    Free Member

😀

i have the strangest b….

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 586 total)

The topic ‘Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )’ is closed to new replies.