• This topic has 585 replies, 183 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 586 total)
  • Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )
  • yunki
    Free Member

it was my fault for playing in the ” mens changing room”

that’s disgusting and whoever posted that needs very abruptly bringing up to speed..

scaredypants

Binners – it’s posts like that from c337 that help you decide who you don’t want to meet. Useful IMO.
    If I was a “stw burd” (or bloke) looking to meet people to ride with I’d be sure to check my list of back-door kickers and mannerless tits before making any plans

hora
    Free Member

Sue please don’t go. I love abit of banter but if it gets out of hand I’d also like to see it stopped.

Please stay and press report (and folks) on any comments.

Then any deemed sexist – mods could you impose a lengthy ban?

I wasn’t on the forum last night, I was watching the Shining on DVD 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enfht
    Free Member

I’d love to provide some opinion but I’m drafting a letter to Points Of View about an appalling TV programme I chose to watch…

trailmonkey

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’d like to point out that this is an open forum that greets and welcomes people from all walks of life all over the world.

Many, Many different types of people frequent this forum and I think the Mods do an amazing job of swimming against the tide. You can’t stop it all and I think the mods do a much better job than many other forums out there on the tinterweb.

Lets not lose the big picture here. The MAJORITY of the people on here are good people. Even some of the “Big Hitters” that annoy me at times have been the same ones that have been more than obliging when I have asked for help on onething or other.

I think we all need to be slightly tollerant on here and accept that nothing is perfect (EDIT: Except TJ of course)

jools182
    Free Member

I would think, at least compared to the national average, that people on here are above average intelligence

The mods on here are also fairly strict

Surely the real world is a much less tolerant place

flange
    Free Member

I think we all need to be slightly tollerant on here and accept that nothing is perfect

It’s ‘tolerant’ by the way…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – well said indeed.

binners

Boring you am I? Frightfully sorry.

Of course, your witty repartee and dazzling intellect are greatly enhancing the enjoyment of the forum for everyone. Are we meant to be grateful? In that case. Thanks very much for your contribution

Why the misogyny though. Did mummy not love you enough? Or is it the constant female rejection? Combination of the two perhaps?

retro83
    Free Member

Shame that people feel that they have to leave. But I still think this is one of the best behaved forums on the web. Especially given the volume of users.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve met some really nice people from STW. Some have had a real hard time in real life. I’ve also met (a minority) a few that seem to have social skills issues.

GW
    Free Member

pathetic men flocking towards a woman’s defense (especially when they are out of order)? is that not sexist? Hmmmm…. 😕

I wouldn’t worry boys, there will be others along soon enough for you to pander to

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Lol thanks for making me smile Flange

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    carbon337

~a classic example of the sort of post that people dislike.

I agree with TJ.

No, really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carbons post appears to have disappeared – does that mean he is banned 🙂

Edit – woppit 😯

hora
    Free Member

There was a hottie on one of the boggys Hebden Bridge rides. Am I allowed to say that? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

You might have a point – some of it is pretty horrid, but how do you cope in life outside of STW where simply withdrawing your participation isn’t an option?

I don’t really get involved with the sexism on here, it’s a bit horrible at times. But often it’s nothing more than banter and I have to say that it’s a hundred times less coarse and less invasive than real life so I’d agree, I’ve no idea how you survive in the ouside world if STW gets you down. I don’t mind a bit of objectification on either side so long as people remember there’s a person and more to that person involved. Unfortunately some people take offence and assume that any sort of appreciation of appearance as assuming the person has no appreciation of any other part of the person.

Shame.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Furthermore, I am P1SSED OFF that emsz is leaving.

REALLY. 👿

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t let the, juvenile, buggers get you down. There’s plenty a few good people here. 😛

Emsz, going too? NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A few good people and getting less, maybe it’s the right decision after all.

enfht
    Free Member

Well said GW

druidh
    Free Member

GW makes a good point. If this had been one of the guys “signing off” we would have had multiple Flouncer-One-Niner posts already.

cinnamon_girl

(i hope CG doesnt mind me bringing it up cos it always brings a smile to my face when i read CG’s posts having met her several times in real life… knowing people in real life makes their forum contributions much more interesting personally)

but should CG saying jenson button is fit be just as frowned upon as a bloke saying they find a female celeb attractive? i know i’ve banged on about thinking natalie portman is stunning loadsa times but hopefully i’ve never overstepped the mark into ‘backdoor’ territory like some users.

Come now Phil – this can get taken two ways! I didn’t start a thread saying that, it just got mentioned on a shaving thread and I didn’t expand on it. Or … perhaps you think an old girl shouldn’t be thinking inappropriate thoughts? 😉

scaredypants

I don’t get offended by anything on here. I find some posts funny and some shit but I honestly don’t remember ever feeling that one was offensive. Trouble is I’m a white middle aged agnostic middle-class bloke (GSOH, own teeth (largely) 😉 ) with a dangerously mainstream sexuality and I struggle with other people’s perspectives. After all, I don’t get all cross about the tubby 45 yr old comments.

This whole place is not to be taken seriously IMO

… but, c’mon GW, a sensitive soul like you must be able to empathise with the girls ??

philconsequence
    Free Member

serious question:

am i allowed to talk about deadly, yeti and b’mitch in a sexual fashion?

i refer to most of my male friends in sexual terms or terms of endearment usually used when referring to a loved one, as they do to me. its reminds us we love each other but without looking deep into each others eyes and saying i love you suggesting a deep level not quite approprirate for the friendship :mrgreen:

i hope Sue and Emsz dont leave forever and they return promptly with a heavy ‘report button’ addiction 😀

EDIT – CG you know what i mean 😛 its more referring to the casual comments that are innocent and without malice, but could easily be taken the wrong way if one was feeling overly sensitive at the time. looking for a bit of clarification that its ok to say someone’s attractive but not take it to the point of suggesting sexual things you’d do to them.

cinnamon_girl

GW – i think you’ll find that the girlies can stand up for themselves. Have even be known to fix a puncture too. 🙄

BermBandit
    Free Member

I’m not totally sure how I feel about this, largely becuase I didn’t see the thread, but some randomn thoughts that spring to mind are ….

It’s an internet forum. 90% of what is on here is not representative of the people behind the key boards that post it.

Try googling big hitters and click on images …. the first couple of lines should show you that what you see on here simply reflects society at large.

Whilst I do sympathise and will miss Sue and Emsz, I can’t wonder how female sufferage and race relations would have got on if Emily Pankhurst, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela et al had taken the same attitude.

Truthfully, its much better to challenge these sort of behaviours than it is to walk away and ignore it, albeit I fully understand that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea to do that.

Credit to TJ who is one of the few that always does.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In addition to the above guidelines we have a limited number of hard and fast rules that you should familiarise yourself with before posting on any of our forums.

* No posts of a sexual nature, including images of a sexual nature or intended to provoke a sexual response.
    * No posts which, in the Moderators opinion, are likely to cause offence to either an individual, or group, whatever their gender, sexual inclination or ethnicity.
    * No posts, including links to other sites that are deemed to be of a sexual or distasteful nature, incite racial or sexist behaviour or are in any way discriminatory and/or offensive towards individuals or minority groups.

enfht
    Free Member

Hopefully one day TJ and ElfBoy will throw down an ultimatum

ransos
    Free Member

If you really can’t see that “I’d bang her back doors in” is not acceptable banter, then there’s no hope for you. You wouldn’t talk like that in front of a female acquaintance in real life, so don’t do it here.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

thegman67 – Member
    Cos she will stop taking it up the arse

“Because after years of rejection, I still haven’t grown up enough to understand what the point of marriage is…”

Ladies (if there’s any left) and gentlemen of the jury – my case.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm… blinkinek. Glad I was driving back from UooopNorth last night rather than on here.

T’is a broad Church this, I type in a broad Church, I read in a broad Church, I contribute to a broad Church.

Takes all sorts this broad Church.

Shame Sue and now emzs are off for a wander around, but once they’ve played off piste they’ll be back I hope, seems a shame to miss out though.

enfht
    Free Member

You wouldn’t talk like that in front of a female acquaintance in real life, so don’t do it here.

And you know this how?

scruff
    Free Member

Credit to TJ who is one of the few that always does.

😆

ransos
    Free Member

And you know this how?

You could be right. Maybe these people are as offensive in real life as they are on here. But I doubt it.

FuzzyWuzzy

Shame some people are leaving if they find the forum useful for other reasons, personally I’ think I’d choose to ignore the muppets here but not coming from any group that gets abuse that I’m aware of (although I do ride a road bike and don’t own a SS…) that’s probably easier said than done.

I’d happily see the banning of gratuitous image threads etc. to as I only read the forums at work in an open plan office so don’t really want that plastered all over my monitor :p

enfht
    Free Member

Sue seems to be very fragile and intolerant, different strokes and all that

druidh
    Free Member

Sexism on STW? I think we should get the opinion of the female Mods.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

carbon337 – Member

oh well run along then, enjoy your break, dont hurry back.

Can we have some more Jessica Ennis threads now that these two have gone?

No ’cause I’m still here to pull you up on it. I’m not a girly-girl and rarely take offence, but am totally fed up with seeing mtbking ladies, and their input, disappear from forums because of idiots. If you want to be offensive, drool over women and generally behave like a caveman, then may I direct you to to google….I’m sure it wont take you long to find what you are looking for.

Leave the mountain bike forums as a welcoming place for all.

Sue and Emsz -sorry to hear you two are going, but, if you read this, I really think you should reconsider. Seriously, don’t back down to the sexist idiots. Is it really better to walk away rather than stay somewhere where, overall, you are both respected and liked?

grum
    Free Member

And you know this how?

Oh you’re socially inept in real life as well as on the internet? That’s a shame for you.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 586 total)

The topic ‘Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )’ is closed to new replies.