Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Setting up a PC based sound system on a Mac
  • binners

Can any of the techno-geeks on here help me out please. I’m a mac user. Therefore if its more involved than just plugging it in, I get confused, lose interest and go to the pub instead

We’ve just bought one of these for the studio

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=gb,en?WT.mc_id=ps_google-adwords_trademarks_emea&strf=Paid_Search&WT.srch=1&gclid=CL2Jja6tp5oCFV0A4wodnEhC1g

And very nice it is too. It says its Mac compatible on the Logitec site. The problem is that it has 3 jack plugs, obviously for those PC type things. My Mac obviously doesn’t have them. Only a headphones sized outlet port for audio.

Does anyone know how I can get around this so I can get all the speakers working?

Thank you in advance

ash500
    Free Member

you’ve read the manual – right? – checked out the Logitec FAQ?

binners

I’m a mac user. I can’t read. I can draw pictures though

tomalsop
    Free Member

It’s not a Mac / PC issue. It just sounds like the sounds card in your machine (presumably the on-board one) doesn’t have discrete analogue 5.1 outputs.

If you plug the main left / right out of the Mac into the main left / right input on the speakers then there’s probably a switch on the speakers (as per the Creative ones I bought at work) to up mix that input to 5.1.

Alternatively you could find and install a sound card with discrete 5.1 outputs.

tomalsop
    Free Member

I think the “Matrix” button here is supposed to do the up-mix:

If it’s critical that you have true 5.12 surround then you’ll probably either need to switch to an amp and speaker setup and use the SPDIF output from the Mac or buy a new soundcard as I suggested before.

binners

Cheers fella. We’ll have a try with that. If that doesn’t do it, we’ll get a man in from London

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m not coming all that way just to sort out some poxy speakers!

binners

We’ll get you a kebab and a pint. Possibly two. Can’t say fairer than that

joemarshall
    Free Member

Unless it’s a DVD watching home cinema setup, or you’re producing film soundtracks, or it’s a really hardcore gaming setup, I’d take it back and buy a similarly priced set of 2 speakers. You’ll get better sound for the price, and less of a spaghetti nightmare with the wires (I guess that speaker set has about 10 wires in total?).

The only way to get value out of those speakers with a computer that doesn’t support surround by default is to buy an extra sound card that does surround output. I’m guessing it’s a laptop? Almost all desktops have decent sound outputs nowadays (sometimes on the back of the machine) and it’d be surprising if macs didn’t.

Joe

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That’s silly. It does not in any way matter whether or not the host computer is a Mac, PC or HAL 9000. Why they put ‘Mac Compatible’, I don’t know. In fact, if you consider most Macs, they aren’t.

PCs may have 3 sound output sockets, for 5:1 and 7:1 sound systems. Macs invariably have only one. My Mac Pro has only one 3.5mm jack. More recent Macs come with SPDIF out/inputs. Why manufacturers aren’t using this, is silly. Just one lead. Much simpler.

Anyway.

Looks like you’ll probbly have to employ some form of USB adapter, which will allow you to run the 5:1 sound from your Mac.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you’ve bought something that is not really compatible with your Mac. I’d take it back, as it’s not fit for purpose.

binners

Its ok. Panic over! We’ve found an adapter that does the trick. Only a couple of quid but we’ve had to order it from the states

Count
    Free Member

If you are a Mac user (Mac Pro ?) then you will have digital optical output. You really need the Logitech 5500 speakers which have optical in and then handle the decoding for 5.1. You can input standard stero left and right but the upmix won’t be true surround.

Right now you have speakers which offer 5.1 channels but you don’t have a means to provide the discrete inputs required for each channel.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

This is one area where Macs do seem to be a bit odd. The digital SPDIF output is designed to be used with amplifiers which can take a digital signal, such as home theatre receivers. The speakers you’ve bought are budget low-end things, which have the power and amplification stuff built in, thereby negating the need for a separate amp.

Dedicated 5:1 systems that will work with the SPDIF output are pretty spensive. Bose do some, but they are pricy. The Logitech system Count mentions is spensive too.

Personaly, I run standard analogue stereo into an analogue amp, then out through normal speakers. The sound quality is betterer than all but yer spensive home theatre set ups, anyway.

But anyway, seems like you’ve found the solution. Mind telling us what gizmo you’re buying, for future reference? Ta.

binners

Its just a splitter for the standard 3.5mm Output socket. We’ve not got the full surround system in yet, but its **** loud. And the sound quality’s mint. The people in the offices around us are really going to appreciate the sub-woofer when we get that set up tomorrow 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Excellent.

Seems like you cooduv probbly got what you needed from Maplins… 😯

So there’s no need for me to have to come up to Manchester? Phew!

You can post me that kebab. Prob best to do it Recorded Delivery though.

binners

It cost the grand total of £1.80 too. Result!I’ll nip out and get your kebab now.

Chicken or lamb tikka? Chilli sauce?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Its ok. Panic over! We’ve found an adapter that does the trick. Only a couple of quid but we’ve had to order it from the states

If it’s just a 3.5mm jack splitter, then you’re wasting time / money. Just press the matrix button on the speakers, it will do exactly the same thing.

If it is a USB sound card, that would work. If it was a pre-amp that takes sp-dif and outputs 3xjack, that might work. It probably isn’t either of these if it is only a couple of quid, you’d be looking more in the 40 quid range for a sound card, and silly money for a preamp.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

By the way, you can tell how to plug it in by reading the manual that came with the speakers. What you have is a 2 channel sound card.

If you want to make the subwoofer work, turn up the ‘bass’ dial.

Joe

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh, lamb tikka, please! Can I have chilli sauce with that too?

And joemarshall is right. Complete and utter waste of time, buying that thing. Ah well, £1.80 is not too bad.

Flaperon

I got a Creative 5.1 system that took an SPDIF input for about £150 some years ago, so it is possible to get surround sound fairly cheap. Not sure if they still make them, though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a PC based sound system on a Mac’ is closed to new replies.