Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Separated parents, maintenance question.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

If you are a parent “with care”, would you expect an unusual and one-off extra expense, such as a holiday away with the school costing about £250 to come out of the maintenance you are paid for day to day child related expenses, or to be split 50/50 between yourself and the ‘absent’ parent?
    Ta

Edukator
    Free Member

Does the other parent want the child to go? If yes, a contribution is in order, if no then either you pay the lot or the child doesn’t go. I’d want a refusal to pay in writing for the school (because in the exchanges I’ve been involved with the school will sometimes reduce the cost in genuine cases of poverty).

iDave
    Free Member

I (the ‘absent’) met CSA once after my ex thought I wasn’t paying enough. After they told me I should actually pay her less, which I didn’t, they also told me not to pay for anything other than giving maintenance. I ignore and contribute as and when, but it seems that all one-offs ‘should’ come out of the maintenance.

jojoA1
    Free Member

To Edukator, yes, he does want her to go, as do I. I’m by no means in a poverty situation, but I’d thought on principle as he and his wife are ‘much higher’ earners than I and have no other children, he would contribute on principle. Ho hum…

IDave, Thanks for the info on ‘the party line’.

fenred
    Free Member

I pay my maintenance but still contribute to “out of school” activities….Swimming and Gymnastics in my case.

Guess it depends on the individual “abscentee” and your moral fibre.

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/ChildMaintenance/Arrangingchildmaintenance/DG_199174

Child maintenance is usually regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs.

My bold

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’m wondering if I should ask for an increase in the everyday maintenance then, as it has been the same for the past 9 years…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

9 years? I’d say go for it…

Greg.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, RPI has risen by about 25% in the past 9 years.

restless
    Free Member

My son had a very expensive school trip last year, around £400 and i asked his father to pay half, on top of the normal CSA payments.

He did pay, all of it in fact, but I couldn’t have forced him to.

It is the only time in the 14yrs since my son has been born that I have asked for extra though.
    Maybe if it happened more often he would say no.

youngrob

I do the same as fenred. The latest was a Brownie holiday. As for the increase, my maintenance increases annually in line with RPI, whether I get a pay rise or not, so go for your increase. Good luck!

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’ve never asked for extra for anything, as everything has been day to day expense, IMO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Separated parents, maintenance question.’ is closed to new replies.