Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Selling vinyl – how?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

It has come to my attention that some of my old records might actually be worth a reasonable amount of cash.

Just selling the stuff I never really liked anyway: Some rare Warp LPs, Plastikman first LP and some more dance and rock records that seem to fetch good prices.

So how have others gone about this? I’m a semi-regular ebayer but notice lots of people sell through Discogs instead for records. Anyone tried that? Can only companies sell via Amazon?

Cheers.

Markie
    Free Member

Anyone can sell via Amazon – I’ve sold a couple of cheap (>£10) books that way…

Basically, find something close to the item you have to sell (or exactly the item, if possible) and on the right hand side there’s a ‘Have one to sell? Sell yours here‘ button which will take you through it. Easy!

rewski
    Free Member

Been selling on discogs for years now, it’s slowed down quite a lot, the rare stuff will sell ok, certainly not the prices of a few years ago though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m in the same position as you really. Think we’ve missed the boat WRT high prices. Have you got the Plastikman picture discs? A thing of beauty, reckon I might have trouble parting with that, and the Aphex picture disc I have. Discogs will probably be my outlet, though I might just contact a few of the resellers to see if I can shift all of it in one hit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not picture disc but one of the discs has the plastikman logo etched across the whole side.

Have the prices dropped with the recession or is it more a trend away from vinyl again?

Do things go considerably for considerably less on ebay? I assume it;s more luck of the draw. Does it take ages to shift stuff on discogs?

thanks guys

martinxyz
    Free Member

Do you have a list you could put up?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Lovely 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah, mine is 2nd album Musik.

martin yeah I’ll do a list later after my ride.

🙂

flip
    Free Member

http://www.vinylpimp.co.uk It’s a guy thats over on http://www.lfgss.com 😉

Haze

I’ve sold loads on Discogs, no problems other than the odd idiot who buys something then decides not to bother paying for it.

By and large most folk on there are decent, I’d happily recommend it for selling techno and the like…

chakaping
    Free Member

Righto, cheers.

Initial list of electronic vinyl to shift…

Plastikman – Musik
    Autechre – Inaculaba (silver vinyl)
    B12 – Electro Soma (orange vinyl)
    Cafe Del Mar – volumes 2 & 3
    Polygon Window – Surfing on Sine Waves
    Virtual Sex (detroit compilation)
    Reactivate 9
    Black Dog – Temple of Transparent Balls
    Harthouse 3
    Eurobeat 2000 club classic vol 1
    Trance Atlantic vol 1

griffster
    Free Member

Oh no, they’re not worth anything at all. Send them to me and I’ll dispose of them for you. :o)

MrAgreeable

eBay with low starting prices if you want shot of stuff and are prepared to pay the higher fees, Discogs if you’re happy for stuff to potentially hang around for a bit, pay lower fees, and not feed one of the evil squatting behemoths of the internet…

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I’ll give Discogs a go, hate dealing with ebay and amazon and I’m not in a massive hurry.

I notice it says how many people “want” each record. Anyone know if they get notified when a copy is put up for sale?

Haze

Think so, but I wouldn’t count on anything happening.

I’ve had stuff on there a while that loads of folk have “wanted”, never moved them on though.

Give it a go, you could always drop it on ebay later if it’s not shifting.

Or maybe a forum or something?

MrAgreeable

If you’ve put a “want” you do get a notification, but whether they buy it or not that depends on the price. You can go through sales histories if you’re a member to get an idea of what people are paying. If you delete and relist your items it’ll renotify everyone, but most members find this very annoying.

Condition is really important, if the records have any light scuffs or are visibly dirty then they’ll be VG or VG+ at best.

Shipping charges are another factor, I’d try and keep them as low as possible. If someone’s charging you a fiver on top of the tenner the record cost it does start to sting a bit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks Mr A.

Are records and sleeves equally important in pricing? Most of my records are mint or near but many of my sleeves have slight foxing, more noticeable foxing or creases in spine from being stored tightly.

What condition would that put them in?

Just listening to Virtualsex LP to check it plays good, think I might have to keep this one.

🙂

Haze

It’s been a while since I listed anything, iirc you can grade the vinyl and the sleeve separately.

I never used to allow for this in pricing up a generically sleeved 12″, but would probably knock a couple of quid off for an album since I feel it’s more of a package.

Having said that, I don’t recall selling many albums on there anyway!

MrAgreeable

If in doubt, VG+ is a good catch-all.

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1

Not heard of that Virtualsex compilation before but the Carl Craig tune on it is awesome!

Steelsreal

what do you do about posting then? Buy those cardboard posting sleeve things?

chakaping
    Free Member

And this is even better than the Carl Craig track. Just beautiful…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkMhjwxtpCA[/video]

Haze

what do you do about posting then? Buy those cardboard posting sleeve things?

Yes, with stiffeners.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got a ton of old firt pressing jazz i’m trying to shift, and it’s slow… rare vinyl prices have plummeted over tha last few years, stuff that was easily getting 50 quid 5 years ago now goes for a tenner. Discogs is slow these days too. I’m doing most of it on eBay. cheap starting price and fingers crossed!

chakaping
    Free Member

Just checking the prices of some more dance and rock stuff I have here and the dollar signs are in my eyes!

X-102 Rings of Saturn
    X-Mix 2 The Tracks
    Spiritualized – Pure Phase
    Spiritualized – Ladies and Gentlemen…
    Mogwai – Young Team
    Neil Young – Weld
    The Orb – Live 93

Many of these are priced £50 or more (and mine are in better nick). Is there a lot of “speculative” pricing goes on by Discogs sellers?

warton
    Free Member

I saw a few of my Jazz titles priced at $250 on Discogs. I put mine of for half that, and had no interest at all, then dropped to a quarter, and again, no interest!

chakaping
    Free Member

I better hold off booking that caribbean holiday then.

organic355
    Free Member

**hijack

so wheres the best/cheapest place to get these cardboard postage sleeves for vinyl?

vorlich
    Free Member

You should keep them – just in case of a zombie attack

freeagent
    Free Member

really need to shift my record collection (late 80’s – early 90’s metal mostly) i’ll give discogs a go…

footflaps

Is there a market for late 80’s – early 90’s metal? I’ve got a whole cupboard full of LPs from that era!

rewski
    Free Member

Lots of 12″ mailers on eBay, get decent ones that don’t damage easy and get the card stiffeners too, just add the cost to the postage, most buyers won’t mind.

MrAgreeable

Is there a lot of “speculative” pricing goes on by Discogs sellers?

Hell yes! The good thing about it is that if someone’s selling one for cheaper, it’ll pop up straight away, so it’s harder to skank new sellers.

The mailers I like the best are those “cruciform” ones made from corrugated cardboard, it’s much easier to send more than one LP if someone makes multiple purchases.

MrAgreeable

Warton, what era jazz are we talking? If it’s late ’70s and ’80s stuff then people are probably a bit snobbish about it. If it’s the obvious stuff like Miles, Blue Note, etc then it’s probably just a bit overplayed to be exciting to wannabe “crate diggers”.

The price of most LPs fluctuates a lot depending on fashion, who’s sampled it or played it recently, and whether it’s been reissued or put on a compilation (believe it or not making stuff more available often seems to make the price of an original go up). I’d say in general the only genre that’s steadily getting cheaper is fairly recent (post ’95) dance music, due to DJs clearing out their collections and moving to digital.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

oooh the ltd silver run of Incunabula. Stick in a wallet and send it this way 😉

I couldn’t imagine selling my music collection. The little amount of money the albums would fetch seem to be worth nothing in the real world now, compared to the emotional attachment.
    I sell a first edition pressing of Sixtoo – Duration and get £25. Pays for a curry and some beers. Just holding it brings memories flooding in of a mental night in deepest darkest london, a night bus, and winding up at a random house party as it wound down for the morning.

yunki
    Free Member

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ta for posting. I would probably keep a hold of them.. but I am the king of all hoarders!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I have this on vinyl and will NOT be selling it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO-aKtc_ADo&feature=related

vinylpimp
    Free Member

Thanks for the big up guys.

We get majority of our orders from Discogs, it is definitely the platform to rid your old records.

But if you have a few hundreds and upward and don’t have the time, please give us a shout, we have taken on 150,000+ vinyl since 2007.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I got my first sale, that Authechre LP and Orb Live 93 for £50.

A few more like that and I’ll be a very happy bunny.

(Still got to get payment yet though)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Selling vinyl – how?’ is closed to new replies.