Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Selling a house with the ex
  • happyrider
    Free Member

Hello collective mind. Sorry if this has been covered before (Seems that is appropriate for most topics…)

Short story, split up with ex with whom I owned a house 50/50 with. Met new girl and moved in with her.

After 4 years of the ex living in the house and me paying half the mortgage in the hope that we (me and the current Mrs happy)could raise the funds to buy her out and rent the place we haven’t managed. (Business to sell that hasn’t)

So now I am wanting to sell the house and release the equity so me and the current Mrs Happy can get a place together. (Yes I haven’t learnt my lesson)

Questions are these:
    If I want to sell and she doesn’t can it get sold anyway?

If a price gets offered that I am happy with and she isn’t can I accept anyway?

Answers gratefuly received with a bit of knowledge thrown in as well would be useful. Thanks in advance.

HR

jekkyl

no and no.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above, no and no

davidjones15
    Free Member

Or to put it another way.

If I she wants to sell and she I doesn’t can it get sold anyway?

If a price gets offered that I am she is happy with and she isn’t I am not can I she accept anyway?
    Would we have a different OP?

happyrider
    Free Member

Not sure that’s relevent, this is the way it is.

jota180
    Free Member

Just knock her off, bury her under the garage and then move the next [strike]candidate[/strike] Mrs happy in

davidjones15
    Free Member

Not sure that’s relevent, this is the way it is.

I’d say more than relevant. You could always talk to a solicitor and explain that you think it’s unfair as you might have put more equity into the property.

hora
    Free Member

Legal advice.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Been in almost exact same situation, although I did buy the ex out after her being an absolute pain in the arse for almost 14 months. As she didnt care about her credit history etc she blankly refused to pay her half of the mortgage. I cared about my credit score as I wanted to remortgage, I was forced to pay the whole mortgage until I eventually bought her out.

Would not like to ever go there again. The house is now mine and the current mrs knows that without significant investment from her side, its always gonna be MY house!!!!

happyrider
    Free Member

Fair enough, I’ll get in touch with a solicitor, just thought there might be someone that has been in the same position and know how it works.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Have you considered asking her whether she wants to sell? If she was happy with the plan for you to buy her out then presumably she should be fine with selling it?

jota180
    Free Member

A mate of mine ended up having to pay a hefty deposit and a few months rent up front before his ex would entertain selling and moving out.
    If the sitting partner doesn’t want to sell, viewers are going to get – at best – a ‘warts n all’ tour of the property.

happyrider
    Free Member

I sure have, but I haven’t had a response as of yet. Just trying to understand how things work so I have an answer for her inevitable questions.

Would prefer not to try guessing what the situation is by presuming anything. Might be easier to stick to the questions. I have seen how these threads go awry with presumptions.

footflaps

Just knock her off, bury her under the garage and then move the next candidate Mrs happy in

14 cubic metres of concrete should do it:

After two lorry loads (12 cubic metres) by brf, on Flickr

Helios
    Free Member

Not answering your questions, but do you own it as Joint Tenants or Tennants in Common? If JT then urgently look at switching it to Tennants in Common because otherwise if you get squished by a bus the whole house passes to her regardless of any wishes you might have to the contrary..

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yes, you can force the sale

Google TOLATA

br
    Free Member

Yes and Yes, with caveats.

patriotpro
    Free Member

OP – are there kids in the house?

If not then put it to her and lay down your terms see what she comes back with.

If she gets awkward, sling her out.

If kids are involved then ignore the above amd good luck.

happyrider
    Free Member

Perfect, TOLATA looks like some bed time reading for me… Thanks Zulu.

I do love a caveat, I’ll get in touch with a solicitor!

No kids her side, this was my first concern too! I want to get it done before that becomes a threat… in the first email stage at the moment asking what she thinks. will get my ducks in a row and say what I want to heppen next then stand back and watch the show 🙂 (and start hemorrhaging money no doubt!)

Torminalis
    Free Member

Not read the thread but I reckon it will all depend on how hot your ex is. If she is gorgeous and you sell her with the house, it may push up the price but if she is a proper monster she could negatively affect the price.

HTH.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Selling a house with the ex’ is closed to new replies.