Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Self service tills!!!
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The telegraph did a very common media trick of jumping to a conclusion based on research data.

Your conclusion isn’t based on any research data ? Excellent. I’ll believe you instead then.

jfletch
    Free Member

What happened to the ‘coming revolution’ of RFID tags?

Too expensive. Would cost billions of pounds to implement and the tags are also too expensive, business case doesn’t stack up as people are fairly happy with the current system and don’t want to pay more for the tags. I think there is a demonstration store in Germany somewhere with the full works. RFID checkouts, dynamic shelf edge labels, automated shelf fill etc. Impressive stuff.

Waitrose did a trial a while back using barcode scanning on the trolley so you scanned as you packed to save the time taken to unload the trolley and pack the bags. Don’t know why wasn’t rolled out but judging by the banks of unused scanners it may have been user apathy (weighed items were also a faff).

jfletch
    Free Member

Your conclusion isn’t based on any research data ? Excellent. I’ll believe you instead then.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

They stopped the Asda ones in our branch a while ago as some bright spark had realised the self service tills took any “10p off” kind of vouchers regardless of if you had the actual items in your bag. People were just scanning an entire booklet in and getting their shopping for next to nothing!

Could be worse. I bought some Sticklebricks for the little ‘un a while ago using the Argos self service. I was actually directed by the machine to a proper till half way through to ‘prove’ I was 18. Some data entry error must have made it think I was trying to buy a knife or something…

GrahamS

some bright spark had realised the self service tills took any “10p off” kind of vouchers

Lets hope no one figures out how easy it is to print out your own barcode stickers then eh? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Waitrose did a trial a while back using barcode scanning on the trolley so you scanned as you packed to save the time taken to unload the trolley and pack the bags. Don’t know why wasn’t rolled out but judging by the banks of unused scanners it may have been user apathy (weighed items were also a faff).

Waitrose still do it in Malvern and it’s great.

Weighed items are easy as you weigh them and stick the sticker on whether you scan yourself or the till dolly does it.

AdamW
    Free Member

I learned all about the STDs the lady on the till had been given by her boyfriend on Saturday at the huge supermarket*. I tend to bring that out in people.

They don’t give you that on the self-service: ‘Darren has had the clap so much he’s being treated for applause’ flashing up on screen!

* I kid you not. 100% true. Even I was a bit shocked! 😯

project
    Free Member

People can actually afford to shop in waitrose.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I never use them in Morrisons becuase:

1. There is always a need to wait for an intervention by a staff member.

2. I’d miss the asian lady on till 5 telling me in a jovial manner how she would never allow her son to marry a white girl.

donks
    Free Member

I stopped using them so much since they introduced the weight element into the machine….now the bloody thing knows the difference between a single samosa and a whacking great bag of sirloin its not half so appealing.
    Still, B&Q are a way behind on this front 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

my girlfriend insists on using them every time. however she mostly buys knives, paracetamol & wine

lol

MrWoppit
    Free Member

project – Member
    By using one youre doing a real person out of a real job

Moron. By producing them, you’re giving work to hundreds of assemblers, lathe turners, metal-cutters, programme installers, delivery drivers and many other people who would otherwise be reduced to sitting behind tills at supermarkets.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Waitrose still do it in Malvern and it’s great.

Waitrose in Sanderstead do it and it’s rubbish. I like to do all my transactions the old fashion way with coins of the realm and stuff. Although I will consider writing a cheque – if I have my chequebook and fountain pen with me.

@ jfletch …… well I’m not as clever as you, so it’s probably ‘just stupid’.

mattsccm
    Free Member

As some one here said, they are ok if you do things their way. Thats the bloody point! I want to do things my way. Not put the damn shopping onto the packing area then put it in my back. I want to bag as I scan. Its the computer influence. They don’t do what we want, we do what they want.
    I use them largely to avoid queuing behind the dozy old lady who doesn’t get her purse out until everything is in her bags. Spending time in supermarkets is one version of hell for me and every second helps. If it avoids me talking to some useless zombie on the check out they have to be good.
    I am also quite capable of cutting off my nose to spite my face if the machine doesn’t co-operate with me though.

GrahamS

I like to do all my transactions the old fashion way with coins of the realm and stuff. Although I will consider writing a cheque

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Note to all people who struggle with opening carrier bags:

Breathe on your thumb & index finger of right/left hand (choose as appropriate) then place said thumb & finger on either side of the carrier bag opening and rub together, thereby opening the bag up.

If it doesn’t work first time try it again, this time hastening the moving of your hand from mouth to bag.

If it still doesn’t work then I’m guessing you have an IQ of two or there about.

Cougar

I despair that I’m reading a forum where people need instructional tips on how to open a carrier bag.

martinhutch

I despair that I’m reading a forum where people need instructional tips on how to open a carrier bag

This forum is so elitist. Not everyone has your rad skillz.

I love self-checkouts, because I dislike face-to-face human interaction.

Jamie
    Free Member

I love self-checkouts, because I dislike face-to-face human interaction.

I love self checkouts, because I dislike paying extra for almond croissants over the regular kind.

martinhutch

Gets rid of any ridiculous Fairtrade/Organic mark-up too.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Similar to the Waitrose system, I always use the Fasttrack at our local Sainsburys – scan and bag as I go round, go to manned till, hand over scanner and Nectar card, “Any problem items?” “Nope”, pay, leave. Job’s a good ‘un.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on Nectar/loyalty cards…

Cougar

Ok then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Moron. By producing them, you’re giving work to hundreds of assemblers, lathe turners, metal-cutters, programme installers, delivery drivers and many other people who would otherwise be reduced to sitting behind tills at supermarkets

Moron yourself. All that skilled work is clearly less work than a cashier; it must cost less to pay them than a cashier because otherwise the supermarket would not save money installing them.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Do they actually save money? My local library recently became self service and now the same number of staff spend their time teaching people how to use the terminals and dealing with the constant problems that the terminals throw up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Today at B&Q, four tills, one staff member. They’ve been around long enough for people to know how much they save and they keep putting them in.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Self service tills!!!’ is closed to new replies.