Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Self service tills!!!
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

There’s a volume control 😯 …. where is it

thegreatape
    Free Member

At the bottom of the screen on all the ones I’ve ever used.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

A handful of items at the most, no booze, no dvds, turn the sound off, don’t fanny about with your own bags – sorted!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Recently experienced the joy – used my own bag (a satchel) in the correct position in the bagging area – put all the shopping in then took my wallet out of said bag to pay so it all went wrong as the scales decided that the weight of the shopping didn’t match to the scanned items’ expected weight.

molgrips
    Free Member

They didn’t work with your own bags very well but now they do – they have a button to press if you have brought your own bags, on the main screen.

Although that could just be in Wales with the 5p bag thing.

They are good I reckon, esp now as they’ve speeded up a lot – first generation were awfully slow. Except the ones in B&Q. They’ve almost entirely given up on normal tills in favour of these.

Of course, many items in B&Q are far too large, unwieldy and/or heavy to put on the scales, so it tells you to leave them in the trolley. Except the threshold is a bit high, so some things it asks you to put on the scales are still pretty awkward. Got told to unpack the 8ft 2×2 from the bottom of my pile of stuff and put it on the scales today. Fortunately PFY over-rode that one.

UncleFred
    Free Member

The ones in my local B&q are friendlier than the till operator’s, although it was a bit of a struggle trying to get 2 10 metre rolls of roofing felt on the scales!

Northwind

project – Member

By using one youre doing a real person out of a real job

I’m taking away low-paid till operator jobs and creating self-service-checkout-machine design and manufacturing jobs 😉

TBH if you’re in a shop that has self-service, then you’re probably in a big supermarket, and therefore taking away jobs from small local shops. I don’t go to Tesco to create jobs.

Entonox
    Free Member

I’d love to know where you lie with the law when using them. And not in the AWT sense but more of a ‘confused’, pressed the wrong button, ‘was miles away’ sense. See MTQGs confusion in a previous post.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The last time I was in a shop buying food, the owner was asking me what I’d like to see on their shelves. Having made a few suggestions I’ll be back to see if they’ve been acted on.

Not much point to that really, other than it beats the shit out of interacting with a machine.

Lifer
    Free Member

If there were only self-service tills we wouldn’t have this wonderful poem from Mr Tim Key!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEFIcZyWceI[/video]

antigee

Only thing they are good for is stocking up on Tesco generic paracetamol and ibuprofen. Of course you need to pay cash and multiple times

like that – i once wasted my breathe telling a checkout person at ASDA that their employer was very selective on which laws they chose to respect – I wanted to buy ibuprofen before going on hol – at the time ASDA was ignoring the net book pricing act

… a recent rant was on being asked to leave a queue for checkout with an operative i pointed out i had loose vegetables and wine – experience would suggest that this would require me to pace up and down and wave until a queue built up and then wait until someone could summon a colleague and guess an item code with a vaguely similar price and then walk off before authorising the alcohol – my arms are still tired from waving and i’ve 2mm of ASDA floor ground into my shoes from pacing.
    PS for Tesco the answer is always cheese crusty if you want to pay for loose bakery goods

edit real shops are rarely open all hours

jfletch
    Free Member

What a bunch of middle class twaddle.

They don’t cost jobs, they cut queues that form at peak times and avoid people having to wait behind a weekly shop to pay for a few items. It’s like having a 6 lane motorway instead of 2 single track roads.

And they are bloomin simple to operate, if you can’t work it out then…

But if you are trying to use one for a trolley full you deserve everything you get.

maccruiskeen

It cuts down on unnecessary social interaction and the uncomfortable feeling of being judged upon your grocery purchases…

I was in the supermarket the other day buying a frey bentos pie, a half pint of milk, a one-third size tin of beans (remember them?) a single serving box of micro chips, and an individual canned steamed pudding. Oh and a copy of Zoo magazine.

The girl at the checkout asked me coyly “Would I be right to assume you are single sir?”

“Yes I am as it happens, thats very perceptive of you. How can you tell?”

she replied “Because you’re ugly and you stink”

avdave2

After reading this thread I’m off to find a threshing machine to destroy!

jota180
    Free Member

I like them
    Any old money off coupon seems to work – whether or not you’ve actually bought that item 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

I always have to wait for a member of staff to ‘verify my bag’. Apart from that they’re no problem and are much quicker than waiting in a queue behind someone who has just bought enough shopping to last the next six months.

Kev

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What a bunch of middle class twaddle.

They don’t cost jobs, they cut queues that form at peak times and avoid people having to wait behind a weekly shop to pay for a few items.

Well if they don’t cost jobs then they must have proved to have been an expensive waste of money for the supermarkets. They can’t possibly be quicker as there is no way Joe Public can scan quicker than supermarket checkout staff. Supermarkets are perfectly capable of providing manned “6 items or less” checkouts if that is the issue.

Self-service checkouts ‘have not cut supermarket queues’

“Figures compiled by The Grocer magazine show that average queuing times for staffed tills at Tesco and Sainsbury’s, the retailers with the most self-service checkouts, have increased over the past two years.

At Tesco, which has 6,000 self-service checkouts in its 1,200 stores, the average wait for a staffed till lengthened from 5min 15sec in 2008 to 5min 42sec this year. Sainsbury’s saw a smaller rise, from 5min 30sec to 5min 35sec. “

If queues haven’t reduced since their introduction then it looks suspiciously like the supermarkets haven’t used the ‘freed up’ staff to serve other customers, and that despite their protestations to the contrary, have simply reduced their staffing levels. To put it in my best middle-class twaddle.

Keva
    Free Member

In the Sainsburys where I shop it’s definitely quicker to use a machine than it is to wait for an available cashier. The cahiers queues are always full by someone with a trolley full piling stuff on to the conveyor which will inevitalbly take at least 10mins before they have packed, paid and left. Using the machine takes less than 5mins. If it took longer I wouldn’t use it would I, I’d wait for a cashier instead.

Kev

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They are all part of the sexist agenda. Men are incapable of opening supermarket bags and this is the latest feminist weapon designed to make men feel insignificant as they wrestle with the inseparable sides of the bags while woman quickly pass them by. It’s an outrage.

GrahamS

They can’t possibly be quicker as there is no way Joe Public can scan quicker than supermarket checkout staff.

Throughput innit?

Joe Public may be slow at scanning, but the supermarket can fit 6 self-service machines in the space for 2 manned tills.

So unless Joe Public is 3 times slower than the staff then throughput is increased at peak times. 😀
    (even if individual checkout times are longer)

Anyways, I like em. Way faster than dealing with till staff when I just want to grab a couple of things for lunch.

jfletch
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – True because there are absolutely no other variables that affect the length of queues at supermarkets. Well done!

They can’t possibly be quicker as there is no way Joe Public can scan quicker than supermarket checkout staff.

You have obviously missed the point though. The actually time stood at the till scanning may be longer but the queue may be less because you can spread the load across the 6 lanes, not 1.

Its not rocket science.

Its just additional choice. If its quiet or you have troublesome items that are hard to scan use the regular till. Busy a lots of old dears waiting for the checkout then nip thought the self service and save yourself some time.

And the fact that seemingly intelligent people are getting so wound up by a machine that can be operated by children is quite telling.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – True because there are absolutely no other variables that affect the length of queues at supermarkets. Well done!

Thanks 8)

Although credit should really go to the Daily Telegraph for publishing the article which reports the detailed research into the matter.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my girlfriend insists on using them every time. however she mostly buys knives, paracetamol & wine -yeah i know 😯 – so always needs an assistant. drives me mental.

jota180
    Free Member

And the fact that seemingly intelligent people are getting so wound up by a machine that can be operated by children is quite telling.

I think there actually is little yellow kids inside the self service tills operating them, keeps them off the streets of Shanghai

Cougar

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And WHY must the till use the same patronising tone reserved for three year olds? or that irritating liquid beep? I refuse to use them.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Was queued for a self service till in an Asda on Sunday.

Assistant asked ‘would you like me to put that through for you’, so I agreed.

Chatted to my wife & amused the baby whilst the assistant scanned our items.

Came to pay, and realised she’d scanned everyting but not put it in bags.

Really helpful.

So we then had to spend exactly the same time & effort bagging everything up that we’d have had to had she not offered to ‘help’.

Pointless.

Dope.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Hardly ever had a problem with using them in Tesco or Sainsbury’s.

They are incredibly simple and just need to be used by their own rules i.e. do things in the order they want, be careful not to jiggle the bag about, etc.

Easy.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Having a member of staff doing what you pay them to do is even easier. Self-service is no service.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Reading some of the nonsense posted on this thread confirms my belief in Joe Public. Yes I work in a store with these tills.

Houns

People who can’t/won’t use them are the same people who…….

Have to use a pump at the petrol station that is on the same side as the fuel filler cap
    Drive everywhere at 40mph
    Hog the middle lane
    Carry mobile phones (if they have dared embrace such technology) in a pouch attached to their belt

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Someone needs to tell Tesco that a 500g bag of ciabatta breadmaker mix doesn’t weigh the “expected weight” of 0.080kg reported on the screen. It’s tough being in the squeezed middle, and that’s one of the worst things about it.

portlyone

I guess it’s all first generation problems, they have got noticeably better in the short(ish) time they’ve been around.

RustySpanner

Has the average waiting time on both served AND self service tills gone down?
    Most people will use both at sometime?

If not, then the only one who benefits is the shop. The public get shafted along with the staff.

Massive queues in Todmorden btw.
    Evolution is not uniform.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wrong on all counts Houns, but stop trying to be clever and think for a minute about why they are there and who is really gaining from them.

scuzz
    Free Member

“That’s not a carrot sir, that’s a leek”
    -“…Oh is it? I never can tell…”

joao3v16
    Free Member

Carry mobile phones … in a pouch attached to their belt

These people are trained members of T.W.A.T

People who walk around with one of those stupid little Bluetooth earpieces, even when they’re not actually on a call, are also members.

Rio

last time Mrs R and I went to a large Swedish furniture store there were queues at the few opened manned checkouts but the automated ones were taped off. When she asked why they told her they didn’t have enough staff to man the automated ones as they needed watching closely because of the amount of “wastage”. Does make you wonder where the savings are and whether the whole thing’s been thought through.

jota180
    Free Member

What happened to the ‘coming revolution’ of RFID tags?

Debit card goes in the device on the trolley, the trolley knows what you put in or take out and the system charges it automatically.

They were supposed to be cheap enough to put on anything and would do away with all the barcode scanning etc?
    I’ve seen some pieces on TV with them but they don’t seem to be getting rolled out

jfletch
    Free Member

Although credit should really go to the Daily Telegraph for publishing the article which reports the detailed research into the matter.

Not really. The telegraph did a very common media trick of jumping to a conclusion based on research data.

Data: Queues are marginally longer now than a while ago.
    ?
    Interpretation: Self service tills didn’t exist a while ago
    ?
    Conclusion: Self service tills must have made queues longer

Correlation ? causation

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Self service tills!!!’ is closed to new replies.