Home Forums Chat Forum Seiko watch for a young teenager..

• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by jca.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Seiko watch for a young teenager..
  • oceanskipper

I put this in the watches thread but that was probably the wrong place, so asking again.

No1 Skipperlet wants a new watch, I’ve suggested a Seiko but I’ve no idea what to look for. He wants a metal strap and budget is about £200-£300 (nearer £200 ideally).

Any obvious models to consider at that price?

Thanks

airvent
    Free Member

Probably an SRPE

Cougar

Young teenagers wear watches?  Anyway:

Watch for an 18th. Any suggestions around £300?

In “recommend what you have,” I have a Citizen Eco-Drive which I can’t fault and was around that price point I think.

I was always a metal bracelet person but they collect filth like you wouldn’t believe, I’d rather replace a leather strap every few years.

pk13

I was going to reply on the watch thread but any 5 with a metal strap will be fine they are literally bomb proof for the cash lots of deals about on them.

Screenshot_20240911-215358Well within the price

ads678

Young teenagers wear watches?

Funnily, I got similar responses on a thread I started on here a few months ago, for my 16 year old son. Clearly they still do. Especially when going out somewhere nice.

I was recommended creationwatches.com and he picked a few he liked. We ended up with a citizen eco-drive and he loves it.  Really nice bit of kit, think his was only £120ish.

I bought a watch tool kit from Amazon for £15 or something, so I could replace batteries in mine and my wife’s watches, but it also meant I could adjust the strap on my son’s new one, and remove them properly for cleaning.

colp

An old mate of mine makes Seiko movement watches. £99

https://chronodivers.co.uk/online-store/

garage-dweller

I bought a watch tool kit from Amazon for £15 or something, so I could replace batteries in mine and my wife’s watches, but it also meant I could adjust the strap on my son’s new one, and remove them properly for cleaning.

Minor derailment…

@ads678
    have you managed to get the strap to stay together using those tools?  I’ve got a nice Citizen watch that was a wedding gift and it seems to drop pins from the metal ‘tank track’ strap as soon as you look at it.  Even Citizen don’t seem to be able to get them to stay in when it was sent back for repair.

Other than that I like the eco-drive a lot.  No batteries to change, light, smart and not ott.

ads678

@garage-dweller I’ve only used it once on the citizen to shorten the strap when he got it. It seems to be fine. I’ve used it to change batteries on mine and my wife Nixon watches and that involves undoing metal bracelets, they also seem to be ok.

The kit I got has loads of spare pins, I’m not sure if they’re different sizes (dia) but there’s plenty to try!

Edukator
    Free Member

Basic Casio and give the rest to a homeless charity.

kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Seiko digital that is incredibly cool but sadly broken. Id go as far as saying it’s a timeless classic.

Kryton57

Have a look at the new Orient Stretto on the watchnation side, I have a code that’ll take it to £202 delivered, they resize the bracelets for free as well.

Edit sorry, I didn’t look at who the OP was, double post across threads….. :D

waveydavey
    Free Member

An old mate of mine makes Seiko movement watches. £99

https://chronodivers.co.uk/online-store/

@colp
    , those are nice, and a bargain, kudos to you mate.

gobuchul
    Free Member

@colp – I agree with davey, look great VFM, I might have to have one.

I currently have a Seiko Solar Divers, which is brilliant, it keeps almost perfect time, it’s currently running 10 seconds fast and I haven’t touched it since the change to summer time.

snotrag

Seiko 5 is a watch for life. Loads of discounts available and at 2 to 3 hundred quid is excellent value based on the actual quality, and longevity of what you’ll get.

The only thing I’d note is that Seikos bracelets are ‘OK’ but not amazing, so maybe budget in a nice leather or rubber strap. Its nice to be able to switch every so often depending on circumstance.

If you can get invested and get some value from the idea of Seiko being ‘vertically integrated’ and making their own movements, thats what makes them a much more interesting purchase than the dozens of other admittedly nice products available for the cash.

oceanskipper

Cheers all, we will have a look at all the suggestions. He likes the look of the Orients – nice suggestion.

jca

Sounds like a fair swap – I offer an obstreperous, moody 16 year old in exchange for, I dunno, a 5 model. I’m not picky…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.