Home Forums Bike Forum Securing a bike shed to the side of a house..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Securing a bike shed to the side of a house..
  • mrbadger
    Free Member

I’m looking to free up some garage space and put some of my cheaper bikes in one of those outside metal sheds. I’m not that fussed about security, other than to meet the requirements of the insurance. Which is the shed needs to be lockable (not an issue) and secured to something. Now ideally I’d bolt it to the ground, but it won’t have concrete underneath, only stone chips (under which will be soil not concrete.

It’ll be up against the side of my house, but not flush, probably a 5 inch gap. I’m thinking somekind of bracket. Does such a thing exist as u can’t just screw the shed to the wall due to the gap

Thanks

welsh rich
    Free Member

I created a kind of ground anchor in my shed by passing a chain through a hole in the floor and out to the side, then into a (very) large plant pot.  A few old padlocks/bits of metal on the end of the chain and then I filled the pot with hardcore and concrete…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Stick some council slabs under it and screw it into them. That’s the plan for my Keter.

andrewh
    Free Member

Why does there have to be a gap?

Could you part-fill the gap, say a bit of 2×4 or something bolted to the house and then the shed bolted to that if it can’t go against the wall completely?

dyna-ti

Why does there have to be a gap?

I would think as an air gap to prevent dampness

sgn23
    Free Member

Dig a hole underneath and fill ìt with concrete, then bolt into that (or put in a ground anchor for extra security.

matt_outandabout

^ wot sgn23 said. Hole, concrete and either chain or eyebolt into the concrete.

mrbadger
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I reckon bury some big slabs in the ground under it then attach with bolts should do the trick

timba
    Free Member

Scrounge a couple of RSJ offcuts from a local supplier, might cost you biscuits, and bolt them to the wall and shed

Burying a bucket full of concrete with a length of chain set in would also do the job. Poke the chain through the floor and lock to that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.