• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Secure storage of a bike around Windermere for a few hours?
  • ebennett

Off to Windermere with the family for a few days and debating taking my bike with me or not. Main issue is that we’re planning on heading up for an early-ish walk and then lunch, but won’t be able to check into accommodation until 3 – so bike would be sitting in the back of a car (estate, so visible) during that time. Strongly suspect the answer is ‘no’, but is there anywhere around Windermere that could store a bike securely?

My locks are kept at work (WFH today) for securing the commuter so no real option to secure it in the car, plus it’s a rental car as mine is in the garage so don’t want to do anything that could potentially damage it.

martinhutch

My approach would be to lie it down with wheels off in the busiest car park in Windermere or (more likely) Bowness or Ambleside, and put a blanket over it. Unless the Rapture arrives both will be heaving constantly during the day, and not particularly appealing to thieves.

EDIT: In the back of the car, obviously, not on the pavement. 🙂

wombat

Create a minor mechanical issue (deflate one of your tyres/un-index gears), take bike to LBS for repair.
    Leave bike, go for lunch.
    Return to to LBS, pay for the repair.
    Bike is secure for the day.

(Not intended as a particularly serious suggestion…)

ebennett

That’s pretty much my back up plan martinhutch, only problem will be that we’ll have all the dog’s stuff (crate, bed, etc) in there along with the wife’s multiple bags for a 4 day trip! Should be possible with a bit of juggling though.

martinhutch

The alternative is to insist that the bike wouldn’t be safe under any circumstances and that you had to make it a moving target by riding it around Grizedale and Claife for a few hours.

oldtennisshoes

I’d do a walk from Staveley and leave it in the car park at Wilfs / Wheelbase. It will be safe in there.

ebennett

Unfortunately the weather forecast is looking like tomorrow morning might be the only dry opportunity for a walk until Sunday, so not sure I’ll get away with fobbing the wife and the mutt off!

ndthornton
    Free Member

My bike spends a lot of its life in the back of my estate car all over the place and has for a decade. To be honest I feel safer when its in there to when its locked up outside or even in my garage. Maybe Iv just been lucky. Car has tinted rear windows but its plenty visible through the windscreen.

Bez

I’d just keep it in the car, seems perfectly safe in a Windermere car park if you ask me, unless it’s made of pure gold with paint mixed from saffron, moon dust and the tears of the infant Christ.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you asked any of the LBSs?

fasthaggis

Just buy a couple of new cable locks* and thread them through the bike to make it look like a more difficult steal,park it in a busy car park.
    * You can never have too many cable locks

ebennett

Haven’t asked any of the LBS, would probably feel a bit cheeky doing that (especially as it’s a Canyon!). I’ll probably just go with back of the car – the frustrating thing is that my own car has tinted rear windows which would make me feel a bit safer, but I’ve got a hire car at the moment as some eejit rolled into the back of me!

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t asked any of the LBS, would probably feel a bit cheeky doing that

I meant offering money.

Though asking to get the gears tuned up or some other minor job for £10ish as suggested above could work?

meeeee
    Free Member

i wouldnt worry, i live in windermere and have left my bikes on the roof all day in car parks / on street parking with no issues.
    If its inside the car in a car park you’ll be fine, or even one of the streets off the main road it’ll be ok.

ebennett

Thanks meeee, that’s good to know – I do like to overthink things 🙂

whatfreshmadness
    Free Member

We left two bikes on the roof in Ambleside for a few hours the other day (locked to the rack with big chains admittedly) with no issues.
    But we did the same thing in Sheffield for a couple of hours last year and they had been removed with an angle grinder by the time we got back. In the city center, under CCTV, middle of the day, really busy car park.
    We always prefer leaving them in the car but I think we’re paranoid after our experience with the robbing gits in Sheffield.

ebikegum

ebennett

I live in Windermere and have a garage in Bowness that you could keep your bike in. The garage is unlocked but it is well away from prying eyes and I’ve kept many a bike in it for years with no trouble at all. PM me if this is of help.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve repeatedly left my bike in the back of the car, covered by a blanket, in Windermere/Bowness, and that’s been overnight. Middle of the day somewhere busy will be no problem.

joemmo
    Free Member

I left my bike in the back of the car for 2 nights running in the car park opposite the ferry landing in Ambleside, was staying that YHA and I think it was more secure than their shed. Also left a bike locked to the roof rack at Brockhole for most of a day, no problems.

crazy-legs

Same here, I’ve left my bike in the back of my estate with no issues. Always covered up. If possible, park it rear in, up against a wall or hedge or something to make it impossible to open the boot. Yes, you could break in, undo the handbrake and push the car forwards but it’s more hassle than a quick smash and grab. Also makes it difficult to just glance into the boot.

Or take the bike to a shop and offer them £10 for half a day storage.

tinribz
    Free Member

Judging from last weekend your main issue is going to be finding a free space to park.

After an hour touring various with even the grass verges full we had to resort to pretending to be visiting a holiday park, else miss our booking.

Never seen anything like it.

ebennett

Thanks ebikegum, that’s very kind – think I’ll just risk the back of the car though 😀

benp1

It’ll be very secure in the back of your estate. Just cover it up with a tarp. I’ve a good few times and left it in far worse places (most recently Manchester car parks)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Secure storage of a bike around Windermere for a few hours?’ is closed to new replies.