Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Second hand carbon frames – would you?
  • charliemort

I’ve always avoided carbon, not because I don’t trust it as much as I probably wouldn’t buy a second hand carbon bike myself, so by that logic, wouldn’t be able to sell it on. £2700 Tallboy that I can’t sell? no thanks

but carbon is obviously becoming more prevalent, is this no longer an issue / concern?

rickmeister

Have done.. second hand Ibis Mojo frame for a great price… though I did know the owner personally…

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe, depends on stuff. Most likely not though.

Would buy a secondhand C456 of course, since they’re priced like metal frames anyway.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m still in the dark ages and wouldn’t even have a new carbon frame.

jfeb
    Free Member

Yes. I bought a carbon frame second hand and sold no problem. You just have to inspect it as carefully as possible.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I also bought a SH Mojo, from the classifieds last year, the seller was based in London so I went over and had a look. It was almost in mint condition and well specced, I could have bought a decent is new bought for what I paid but I’m glad I didn’t.

Suppose it really depends on what comes up and how much you want it – I’d never buy a bike that expensive anything without inspecting and meeting the seller though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, I bought a used one a couple of years ago and have been using and abusing carbon frames for years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on how “flat earth” you are. Do you believe in homeopathy?

antigee

same as any frame – got stung years ago when couldn’t really afford it – 2nd hand road bike in big local store – trade in – good spec – took me time to work out had been crashed – thought it was just my skills that meant couldn’t go straight / hands off so try to be a bit careful on frames since – guess is plenty of road frames out there with no damage – mtb less so???

deserter
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about it at all tbh, unless there was a known fault on that particular brand or it looked really scabby

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve always avoided carbon, not because I don’t trust it as much as I probably wouldn’t buy a second hand carbon bike myself, so by that logic, wouldn’t be able to sell it on. £2700 Tallboy that I can’t sell? no thanks

I find it bizarre that residual value plays such a big part in people’s buying decisions.

I don’t mind so much because I buy 90% of my stuff 2nd hand so having a healthy market is good for me, I just tend to buy stuff and then keep it until it’s totally broken/worn out and how much I can sell it for later doesn’t even register as a concern.

but back on topic, yes I would by 2nd hand CF, but only if I know the history and it has a proven track record of longevity, same criteria I use for Alu and Steel frames.

eshershore
    Free Member

do not buy, unless visiting in person

give any potential purchase, a very close visual inspection, and also check with alignment tools (fore/aft and dropouts). if you lack these tools / skills, have the buyer meet you at a bike shop and pay the mechanic to do this for you 😉

pay close attention to any metallic elements in the CF frame(BB shell, pivot points, dropouts, brake mounts, etc.) as these can often corrode (galvanic corrosion) and cause the CF to crack, you often see older frames with cracking around these items

if this is all good, should not be a problem, at least it won’t have fatigued unlike used aluminium alloy frames

gixerator
    Free Member

I had this dilemma last frame I was looking at, decided to buy a Titus as it was cheaper or same as second hand but with a warranty. Was a great bike until someone stole it. Now I hope it cracks in half 20ft up!!

vinnyeh

My 6 month old Mojo ended up with someone off here – from the looks of it both front and rear triangles were eventually replaced at separate times with support from 2pure I suspect.

Additional to comments above, if buying secondhand I’d suggest looking for a frame from a company that will provide some support if things go wrong – I’d say this would exclude Santa Cruz and Specialized, but would include ibis. Can’t say for any other brands I’m afraid.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve been selling carbon bikes for years, never struggled. In fact the 3 alu bikes are the ones I’ve struggled to get a good price for!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Second hand carbon frames – would you?’ is closed to new replies.