Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SDW navigation advice please (signage v map v GPS)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

So, i’m planning to accompany a friend on his charity ride of the SDW.

I’m currently plotting a GPX file on OS Maps and adding taps and support vehicle RVP points taken from Harvey Maps SDW.

Whats peoples experience of navigating along the SDW?

We plan to ride Winchester to Eastbourne.

Neither of us own a GPS, i think this would be a good idea, one with OS mapping and the ability to navigate us forwards. Our other option is either the Harvey Map or an OS map/s. Whats the actual SDW route signage like?

I’ve found a few places online that you can hire a GPS from, any tips on which model might suit our needs best? We don’t need a 1000 functions, i think: OS mapping, forward navigation, long run time (12hrs ish), off route alert.

Ta

andyg1966

SDW is well signposted, there are plenty of GPX files out there, I can send you one if needed. The worst signage is Winchester to the A32 crossing, after that its straight forward.

Etrex models have 20hr+ from replaceable AA batteries and can take mapping.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Upload viewranger to your phone and load a gpx into it. Only look at it if you think you are lost/at a difficult junction. Follow the signs (btw ignore bike sign just outside Winchester as you leave the bridge over the road and follow footath over the field – saves pointiess diversion). If you are going to spend money do it on paper OS maps and/or their app/subscription. Good luck.

dovebiker

Signage is generally OK, but it’s a bit faded / hidden in places so sometimes you need to scout-around to find it. The problem with a map is knowing your bearing as often you get a number of tracks converging on the same point – I’ve ridden it both ways a number of times and I still make mistakes. GPS is best IMO as with track-up display on map you can see what’s coming.

nedrapier

GPS is a big time saver. Route finding’s not terribly hard, but if you stop to check the map every 5 miles, or more often at some spots, it sucks a lot of time.

Really frustrating to pick up speed downhill and get that nagging feeling that, although you’re certain this is right, if it turns out you’re wrong, you’ll have to climb back up. So you haul down from 25/30mph, get map out, orientate yourself… yes, this is right, map back in bag, start rolling again.

And then you pass a fingerboard 10 seconds later, showing you’re on track!

Much more efficient to have a quick glace at the stem, yup. All good.

And an off-route chirrup to warn you when you’re off with 20 yards of a wrong turning.

Don’t know of anywhere that hires, though, but it’s worth having a computer with you anyway to keep a track on pace and time. You can spend £20 more and get one with a GPS trace and an off route chirrup. Edge 20 or something.

DrP

as per Neddy Boy above…

It’s easy, until it’s not. The bit out of winch can be confusing, and there’s a few convergances of BWs that leave you pondering the right way.

I live by the SDW, and I still get lest by Butser! But then my navigation is terrible!

DrP

thomthumb
    Free Member

Signage is generally OK, but it’s a bit faded / hidden in places so sometimes you need to scout-around to find it.

+1

it’s all good until you descend to the valley and realsie you’ve missed the turn at the top! 😯

gribble
    Free Member

I used a bad sick Garmin Edge 200 GPS. No proper mapping, but had a helpful line and chirrup to tell me when I was off route. Saved a lot of hassle. A fellow STW rider kindly lent me the GPX file. I then met them on the second morning and they helped me motivate myself during a low point.

I also bought the SDW map,

Not hard, but the odd sign is not that visible.

oldnpastit

Nedrapier +1

I consider myself something of an expert on getting lost on the SDW 🙂

I bought a Garmin Edge Touring for my last ride there, and although it’s quite klunky, it was pretty cheap and did the job. It’s better than a phone as you can stick it on the stem. If you get one, make sure to turn off all the auto-routing it will try to do.

Places I would watch out for though: as above, around the Old Winchester Hill area where the routes have been jiggled around; a few miles before Lewes, where there is a right hand turn that is quite badly sign-posted. If you miss it, you really do have a long way back.

And just after the golf course, the temptation is to keep on down the lovely inviting looking descent. Don’t do that.

weeksy

I got lost a few times, but it was dark and i had no-idea where it went anyway 🙂

I ended up in some forest down a massive hill about 1.30am…. It was spooky beyond words !

adsh
    Free Member

Tip – do not descend until you are sure you are on the right route.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cheers all. Great tips. I’m sold on the GPS idea, debating weather to rent, buy secondhand & resell or buy cheap and keep. I’ll check out that Edge 200.

thomthumb
    Free Member

http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/

is worth a look. Might be worth scouting tap locations and junctions not to miss etc.

dantsw13

Qwerty – ive got a spare old Garmin Etrex 20, which I lost, replaced with an 810, then found. If you want to borrow it you are welcome. Think it has UK OS maps loaded, if not I can easily stick an OSM map on it. Uses 2xAAA batts, so with spares you will be fine.

dantsw13

If you do, and like it I’m sure we can come to a deal after, otherwise just PayPal me the postage.

richardthird

I’ve got a gps you can borrow. I’m in Eastbourne though 😛

Poopscoop

I rode it a few years back and will be doing it again this year.

I used a Harvey map.

Will be using itto again with mobile used for backup if needed.

For me using the map made it more of an adventure if that makes sense?

Well sign posted but easy to ride past them sometimes. Ditto water taps. I also got lost in the morning fog near Devil’s Dyke. 😀

Absolutely loved the ride. One of the best existences of my life. Wild camped it over 3 days.

Can’t wait to ride it again this summer. 😀

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

pnik

As above mostly easy to navigate, but the odd junction or missing sign can catch you out. As above I’ve a garmin edge 705 you can borrow, which has probably got the sdw on it, if not it is easy to put it on. I’m in Brighton if it is easier than Eastbourne.

You can do without though, paper maps are more adventurous.

Edited for terrible typing and grammer.

qwerty
    Free Member

WoW – STW at its most generous 😛

Dantsw13 – I’ll email you in next day or so

Pnik / Richardthird – plan B

Fantastic !!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SDW navigation advice please (signage v map v GPS)’ is closed to new replies.