Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scrapping a car question ( no signature on V5).
  • user-removed
    Free Member

My car was written off and the breakers picked it up about five days back. Just started filling in section nine of the V5 (for telling the dvla the cars been scrapped) and realised I forgot to get the breakers to sign and date it. Does it matter? Should I just send it off with my signature or will I end up with a fine?

br
    Free Member

sign for them

user-removed
    Free Member

Not a bad plan… Had crossed my mind.

poly
    Free Member

Not a bad plan… Had crossed my mind.

sounds like a bad idea to me…

You should get a certificate of destruction from the scrappy. I would suggest just writing (recorded delivery) to DVLA telling them who you passed the car on to and returning the V5 (signing any sections you should).

br
    Free Member

You should get a certificate of destruction from the scrappy. I would suggest just writing (recorded delivery) to DVLA telling them who you passed the car on to and returning the V5 (signing any sections you should).

Do you know that they are actually scrapping it? I’d just fill in the new owner tab with their details – all that (really) matters is that you tell them you are not now the owner.

maccruiskeen

I’d look into who the ‘breakers’ are – only ‘Authorised Treatment Facilities’ can actually dispose of cars and part of them being authorised is their requirement to issue certificates of destruction. If they weren’t legit then there are potential penalties for the registered keeper. Nothing severe, just £20,000 or 6 Months. As the final registered keeper its on you to get that certificate.

user-removed
    Free Member

They’re a legit outfit – working with Admiral. I suspect they buy cars for parts as the name is Copart. National outfit. I could drive 30 mins to their local yard but the chances of the actual driver being around are slim.

maccruiskeen

They’re a legit outfit – working with Admiral

Then call Admiral and tell them to get it sorted out, they’ve not finished the job if they’ve not issued the correct paperwork.

thomthumb
    Free Member

just been through this. we didn’t have a v5 (long story). DVLA were more than happy to accept a note saying it had been scrapped.

Don’t forge a signature. that’s a bad idea.

user-removed
    Free Member

maccru – it’s not Admiral’s responsibility, it’s mine. The only paperwork is my V5.

Reckon I’ll follow my instincts, doing as suggested above, and send it back with a brief note.

maccruiskeen

maccru – it’s not Admiral’s responsibility, it’s mine.

The liability for the vehicle is yours, but Admiral arranged for the breaker to take the car so the responsibility for finishing that job is theirs. The breaker shouldn’t have taken it without making sure the paperwork is correct, which includes any signatures on your V5 so rather than you chasing after the breaker get admiral to send someone back to you to finish the job and sign off.

bruneep

Yup insurers job. I had to send V5 to them when they scrapped my car. It was their car after they paid out to me.

benji
    Free Member

Copart interesting company, I wouldn’t be so sure it’s going to be broken, they have a very large auction site specializing in salvage sales to the trade. Just helping finish a very badly damaged vehicle that was bought from them.

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/home.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scrapping a car question ( no signature on V5).’ is closed to new replies.