Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • ScottOiler – anyone use one and what do you think?
  • large418
    Free Member

As title really. Want to do some long (100mile) off road rides, including the Kielder 100 later this year, and am thinking of how to look after my drivetrain better. Anyone use a Scottoiler and is it a faff to use, does it run out of oil too quickly, is it just not up to the job? Or is it the best thing since front suspension?

bassspine
    Free Member

I had one on my F650GS, it was excellent, but the rarity of the bicycle scottoiler is surely a clue to how good they are for cycling

StirlingCrispin

I've used them for years.
    Brilliant bit of kit – would never go back to normal chain lube now.

Keeps the drive train running smoothly, and is easy to clean the bike afterwards with just tap water or by back-pedalling the chain in a passing river.

A few marathon guys run them:

I fill the reservoir every couple of weeks so it will last the Kielder 100 without any problems.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

how does it work on a cycle then? On a motorbike the vacuum works the rmv.

messiah
    Free Member

I ran one for a few years and liked it. The jockeys eventually died and I moved on to rnr lube which is fine for about 35-50 miles in my experience. Running and looking after the hoses etc can be a pain depending on the bike.

StirlingCrispin

On a bicycle Scottoiler you squeeze the "squid" to take lube from the reservoir and into the jockey wheels.

It also differs from the motorbike system in that the lube is water-soluble.

epicyclo

I've never used mine. Discovered Purple Extreme instead.

large418
    Free Member

Epicyclo – do you want to offload it for not much cash?

epicyclo

large418 – Member
    Epicyclo – do you want to offload it for not much cash?

Sorry, no. I'll find a use for it one day on one of my "creations".

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

On a bicycle Scottoiler you squeeze the "squid" to take lube from the reservoir and into the jockey wheels.

It also differs from the motorbike system in that the lube is water-soluble.

Ahh right – I remember Mr Scottoiler (his garage is two along from mine) talking about squids and stuff. He's sort of like big Al you can't just say hello- you're usually there for hours. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ScottOiler – anyone use one and what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.