Home Forums Bike Forum Scott Spark sizing & ride ability.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scott Spark sizing & ride ability.
  • wheely
    Free Member

Thinking of getting an RC900 Spark. My last 2 xc bikes – a Cannondale Scalpel and Rocky Mountain Element were both large – but possibly right on the edge of being too big. I’m 5’ 9” but reasonably long limbs.
    If the Spark is virtually the same I’d go medium I think, but don’t want to feel bunched.
    Anyone rode either back-to-back for comparison (rather than just reviewing size charts?). Scott sizing guide says medium.

By the reason for getting spark is the Scalpel was excellent climbing bike but not forgiving when I got things a little wrong – so I wasn’t as quick on tech descents. The Rocky loves technical but not such a good speedy climbing machine. Researching Soark suggests it will tick both boxes. Agree ??

johnny63

5’8″ here and got a medium – really good fit

johnw1984
    Free Member

I used to have an Spark RC and for a 100mm xc bike, it was very capable on typical red/black stuff.

Good for sustained climbs, but I found it was quite unruly on steeper stuff. Mine was an XL and due to the slack seat tube, I really had to lean over the front end to keep it down.

At 6’2″ I rode an XL. It fitted quite well, and just managed a 150mm One Up dropper slammed right down to the collar (short legs for my height though at 33″).

I reckon the seat tube angle isn’t as big of an issue on the smaller bikes and in all honestly it was one of my favourites overall, I did all sorts from trail centres, Peak rides down Jacob’s Ladder and longer distance rides (Sutton Bank Top of The Rock, Hope Pre Peaks etc).

simian
    Free Member

I’m a long legged 5’8″ and find a medium Scott Scale (same geo, near as dammit) perfect, but certainly wouldn’t want to go bigger.

BearBack
    Free Member

The Spark was just ahead of the mainstream trend for longer bikes, as such its not really all that long in reach.
    Assuming at least 1 generation old Element and Scalpels, a medium 2017-2021 Spark is the same reach as a large Element, but still less than a large scalpel.
    As the spark doesn’t have a large standover, I’d look at the geo charts in addition to test riding as you’re probably going to want to slam the saddle forwards to counter the slack STA so that’ll eat up some cockpit room.
    I’m 6ft, 95th percentile for back length so quite short legs.. I ride a large <strike> 29er’ed 700 plus</strike>] “900 tuned” with a 125mm post 170mm cranks and a good 50mm of extra seat post exposed.
    I’d consider going XL if I were buying another Spark of that generation to get closer to the reach of my solaris max, which I think is perfect.

strike
    Free Member

At 5′ 9″ I think you need to try both M and L sizes as in my experience you’re in between sizes. Also be aware that an all-new Spark is set to be launched for MY22.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve found Scott bikes a bit weird for sizing, definitely try before you buy@
    A Genius felt way too cramped for me, a Spark felt like it had a huge wheelbase and wouldn’t turn quickly.
    OTOH I have a Plasma which I love. One out of three…

wheely
    Free Member

My son has just picked up a large 2017 945 Scale and I feel that’s slightly too big. So if that’s going to be similar size to 2021 Spark then medium may be better. No local dealer with bikes in stock so no test rides around – and most mates have RMs as local supplier nearby.
    2021 model sounds great with 110mm front fork. Any idea what 2022 models are going to bring that I may miss out on ?

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Any idea what 2022 models are going to bring that I may miss out on ?

I predict a higher price, steeper seat tube angle and two bottle mounts.

BearBack
    Free Member

The alloy scales have always been a bit high in the top tube.
    2022, presumably a ‘downcountry’ version with the RC range getting longer and lighter.

Clink

Isn’t 2022 a different suspension layout?

strike
    Free Member

MY22 Spark (delayed from MY21) will likely be collaboration with Bold i.e. hidden rear shock.

rickon
    Free Member

My wife at 5’6 rides a medium current-gen Spark, it feels like a bmx to me at 5’11.

If you like old-school geometry, then a medium would be fine. The Spark is 430mm reach on a medium, the latest RM Element is 445mm. So you’d be losing 15mm of reach, which is fairly significant, in terms of reach.

You’re definitely between sizes, as a large is 460mm, so a decent jump. Ideally, you need a test ride, or at least sit/stand – it’s an expensive purchase.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scott Spark sizing & ride ability.’ is closed to new replies.