Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Scotland open or not?
  • irc

I drove a little further up the station road and parked there, only to get tirades of abuse from a lady who came out her house to say I couldn’t park there, ‘it’s for the railway’

Ha! She blasted me as well back in May. Missed me parking but came out to moan when I was back at thr car.

Highland hospitality!

scotroutes

I was up the Ben today. Luckily we’d parked up at 8 am so managed to get a space in the car park.  An absolutely phenomenal amount of folk going up (and down, obviously). Looked like the Lake District. Also an absolutely phenomenal amount of litter everywhere, especially the summit. We had bags to take some down with us but hardly made a dent. I do wish folk would realise that banana skins and orange peel aren’t magically subsumed into the environment too.

j4mie
    Free Member

I am heading to the outer Hebrides as thought it might be quieter…. Stornoway on Thursday and then back from Barra on the 16th. Fingers crossed it won’t be too busy, seems ok from a few photos I’ve seen over the past few days.

alanl
    Free Member

I am heading to the outer Hebrides as thought it might be quieter…. Stornoway on Thursday and then back from Barra on the 16th

What’s the ferry situation now?
    Cal-mac were actively discouraging tourists a few weeks ago.
    We’re hoping to go in the last week of August, probably mostly on the mainland, but Mull has been on our list for a long time, so a night there would be nice.
    Reading the reports, our plans may have to include a tent, we would rather stay in a B&B, which all appear to be full, but are campsites going to be full too? – we dont like booking in advance, as we generally go where we feel would be good that day, rather than to a set itinery.

NZCol

Campsites are very busy, this year you’ll probably have to be a bit less flexible.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ferry situation is that apart from the odd walk on ferries, ie small ones such as Cumbrae, Lochranza etc, they have to be booked in advance, even for foot passengers, so they are very busyy, especially at weekends due to most cottages being saturday to saturday. There was a lot of hyperbole about ferries a few weeks back, but tbh it was more from the island tourism side of the business than CalMac, we’ve been on Arran ferry a few times and there was no discouragement at any point.

Capacity is only around the 25% mark IIRC, but they’ve opened up the booking window til mid october. Still no word on when they’ll be serving Calmac n cheese mind. 🙁

matt_outandabout

they’ve opened up the booking window til mid october.

I best book quickly then – we’re 5 ferrying plus Islay at October half term….

scotroutes

I was over in Lewis last week. Ferry was pretty busy (both mezzanine decks loaded). Every second seat taped off. We only got on due to extenuating circumstances – they are holding a few tickets back for family emergencies, bereavement etc. Quite a few tourists around but not at normal levels.

dovebiker

Went to Mull a week ago – Corran and then Lochaline-Fishnish, there and back in a day – simply turn up, wasn’t full, no problems. Folks turning up on Mull without accommodation booked and being disappointed – not everywhere is open. Come back next year and you can camp in my garden 😉

oldtennisshoes

Just back from Islay. 150 on the ferry apparently, compared to 500+ normally? Lots of taped off seats, no food or services open on the ferry. It was quite nice really.
    It was my first time on Islay, so its hard to judge what wasn’t open that usually is. Only 2 distillery tours open though and the pizza restaurant in Bowmore only open for takeaway.

tjagain

WE are heading to Arran,kintyre and cowal in a couple of weeks – hoping that is not too busy. Campsites seem to vary from closed to ” just turn up” I guess we need to book the ferry to Arran but after that hoping to just turn up. BIke not car.

Anyone in the area got any idea how things are?

convert

I am heading to the outer Hebrides as thought it might be quieter…. Stornoway on Thursday and then back from Barra on the 16th. Fingers crossed it won’t be too busy, seems ok from a few photos I’ve seen over the past few days.

What sort of accom are you staying in? We’ve been there a couple of times in the van. Campsites not that plentiful and looking at the list of what is open most of those we did stay at (when not wild camping) are closed. I suspect it might be tight even if tourist numbers pretty low. Horgabost being closed is going to really squeeze facilities on Harris as that soaked up the vast majority of campers there.

I’d also be super super careful around locals as they are very on edge, especially as you go south. The Barra covid response is/was a couple of camp beds in a community hall and despite needing tourist income there is definitely a fear of what it will bring. Very responsible tourists seen doing over and above proper social distancing (which will be challenging in the tiny Coops which are the only source of food), spending money on local business rather than carrying their own supplies and leaving nothing but rubbish (in bins obvs) and being v respectful will go some way to reassure a pretty aged community that it’s ok and actually worth it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WE are heading to Arran,kintyre and cowal in a couple of weeks – hoping that is not too busy. Campsites seem to vary from closed to ” just turn up” I guess we need to book the ferry to Arran but after that hoping to just turn up. BIke not car.

Anyone in the area got any idea how things are?

Arran is fairly quiet due to the low capacity of the ferry. I wouldn’t hang about, you might struggle to get booked on, even without a car.

tjagain

Ta

Booked – some ferries already full that day so a good call to book now

jp-t853

Just back from my two weeks up at the top of Scotland and Orkney.
    By usual standards it was quiet at Dunnet Bay area in the first week of the break but it was building up as the days went by as our planned break was early in the opening.

Orkney is noticeably quieter. Significantly there are no cruise ships so that makes a huge differences. The shop keepers I spoke to didn’t seem to miss them although the jewellery shops will be massively down. There are hardly any camper vans or motor homes, two of the three main sites are shut but they have had the foresight to leave the chemical disposal and water points open. Ferry capacity is low.

Inverness was busy Saturday night and it had a real feeling of ‘what pandemic’

Dirty shitters are a problem though despite the chemical disposal availability on Orkney. It has always been a Scottish issue but it is noticeably worse and it appears to be mainly T5 size campers causing the problem up there. Be careful where you walk in the dunes 🙁

Locals in both areas were lovely and welcoming and visitors seemed to be very respectful.

It was however stunning to watch so many people passing their phones to strangers to take family photo’s at JOG and then putting heads together to check it was ok.

Coming back down the A9 yesterday and it looks like it will be different, it was rammed heading North, House of Bruar car park was overflowing.

Back to the Lakes yesterday and it is on a completely different level, I would keep well away from Keswick.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Hailing from sunny Durness it has been illuminating this summer to see the herd mentality kick in. All the bog roll you couldnt buy in Tesco in March is now freely available across the hills next to any and all parking spots in/around the village. We used to happily welcome folk down onto the croft (only access to the beach you see!) with vehicles (cars, campers etc) and always had the odd camper pitching up as well. Well that has well and truly been stuffed by a minority of absolute tossers, leaving rubbish, abusing the (very elderly) parents and generally just taking the proverbial.
    So we closed the gate to vehicles (but not walkers) and it seems its just as well given what happening with the “wild camping” brigade.
    However, on a more positive note, in a camper van (despite the anti tourist crap being spouted on the NC500 weeps FB page) you should be fine. Make sure you book ahead and dont just park with all the other lemmings in laybys. Come on up as they say and enjoy what we have been enjoying long before the NC 500 became a thing.
    Interestingly, I came down on the motorbike on sat via Ullapool from Durness and the road was pretty quiet, so not as “mental” as some are making out. From Ullapool to Dingwall though was a different story and it was bonkers.
    As earlier posters have said, pick routes that arent in car mags etc and there is still plenty to see. I was down in Kinlochourn last thursday and saw three tourist vehilcles in its entire 27(ish) miles. Plenty spots to park, loads of Munroes to walk and even some nifty biking to be had out some of the Glens (if you dont mind pushing)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Having stayed in Rispond a couple of times you have my sympathy, it’s a beautiful beach.

What amused us were the car tourists running down to the sea into the water and straight back out again shivering at the adjacent beaches.

Never worked out how to get down to Sangobeg, too polite to try our luck. Hopefully the fisherman who operates out of Rispond is still going

duckman

Sangobegger, we stayed in the campsite last October and got a stunning day up Fionavon.It was the plan this year as well so sorry to hear about the dirty shitters.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Been on the north coast part on the bikr over last couple of days, seems fine. Not the camper apocalypse you’d imagine.
    Now on Orkney and it’s pretty quiet.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If anyone takes a notion for Millport I’d advise against it during weekends. 3 hour queues last week, utter madness for a 5 mile drive round the island.

Just back from Glentress, we were riding later in the day (had a car related mechanical for our full day) but all three days were relatively quiet. The campsite in Innerleithen was booked out at the weekend for statics and motor campers but was pretty quiet once everyone sodded off on Sunday. I only phoned up to book a tent on Friday there and had two nights.

One thing that struck me at GT was the complete absence of bins in any of the car parks and the toilets were closed at half five (portaloos up at Buzzards were completely shut), folk were still turning up for a ride at that time!

bigjim

the toilets were closed at half five

almost like the staff are going home at the end of their working day! how very dare they!

househusband

One thing that struck me at GT was the complete absence of bins in any of the car parks and the toilets were closed at half five

And quite right too; the former is commonplace and to encourage you to take your rubbish home with you – and the latter also commonplace under lockdown easing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I know that’s the reason bins have been taken away, but tbh it’s a double edged sword, **** will just throw it away.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I know that’s the reason bins have been taken away, but tbh it’s a double edged sword, **** will just throw it away.

Exactly. Like the disposable barbecue and associated crap at the skills area, the pile of lucozade bottles at the top of the Freeride Park and other bits and bobs. It’s a lot better looking than I’d expect but still surprised there is no basic rubbish collection.

almost like the staff are going home at the end of their working day! how very dare they!

I know it’s STW but it doesn’t mean being a bellend is obligatory. I’d say the cost of getting someone to shut the toilets at the end of the day rather than 4 hours or so before sunset when folk are still arriving would be worth it so folk don’t feel obliged to crap or pee in the bushes. I’d imagine there is a patrol around that time anyway to check nobody is camping.

grum
    Free Member

I’d imagine there is a patrol around that time anyway to check nobody is camping.

Why’s that then? Genuine question. Are there lockdown restrictions on camping or restrictions there generally?

chickenman

How about a constructive approach to manage all the folk desperate to see some wilderness after being stuck in cities for months? A lot of the folk camping wild would otherwise be on package holidays abroad where everything is laid on. Some kind of temporary toilet waste disposal points would surely be a better solution than just getting shirty at folks shitting everywhere.

tjagain

NO restrictions on camping at Glentress so long as you obey the golden rule

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why’s that then? Genuine question. Are there lockdown restrictions on camping or restrictions there generally?

I don’t know, I was always under the impression GT car parks were fair game for overnighting (charges apply 24h) but there are new notices advising people that overnight stays are not permitted. I assume its Covid related as you say since there will be no track and trace or method of controlling it otherwise.

oldtennisshoes
    squirrelking
    Free Member

NO restrictions on camping at Glentress so long as you obey the golden rule

As I say there are new notices up saying there is no overnighting allowed with a Visit Scotland link at the bottom for local accommodation.

Some kind of temporary toilet waste disposal points would surely be a better solution than just getting shirty at folks shitting everywhere.

The problem is one of infrastructure. Who is going to provide it, who is going to maintain it and who is going to fund all of it?

Remember NC500 is a private enterprise and in it for the money. The whole thing is all arse about tit, the promotion was made and the required infrastructure to support it has never appeared.

tjagain

Have they passed a new law? repealed the land reform act? Local bylaw?

squirrelking
    Free Member

TJ, this is one of those moments. I’ve explained what I’ve seen, let it go.

j4mie
    Free Member

What sort of accom are you staying in? We’ve been there a couple of times in the van. Campsites not that plentiful and looking at the list of what is open most of those we did stay at (when not wild camping) are closed. I suspect it might be tight even if tourist numbers pretty low. Horgabost being closed is going to really squeeze facilities on Harris as that soaked up the vast majority of campers there.

Well DPD kindly misplaced my new tent, they have told me they found it this afternoon and should be delivered tomorrow, I’m then straight to the garage for a pair of car tyres then overnighting in Fife at my parents before heading North and parking up for the night somewhere not too far from Ullapool (just depends how busy the lay-bys are I guess from reading above). Will be making a plan in the next day or two and am flexible about where to go, which will basically go by the availability of ferries heading South.

Thanks for all the info above, I’m hoping it won’t be too busy out there but will see how it goes…

scotroutes

TJ – you are not allowed to take a motor vehicle onto private land without the landowners consent. If FLS say no overnight parking, then you’d be breaking the law to leave a vehicle there.

That’s quite different from walking or cycling into Glentress forest and pitching a tent.

They might also be able to apply the “access legislation does not apply in an area laid out for a specific activity” exception – Section 6(1)(e)(ii)

pictonroad

What’s stopping you from going to the Alps?

It’s a much bigger place, far more space between people. I’ve just come back from two weeks in France. They’re extremely welcoming to visitors who comply with their simple to follow rules. Found nothing to be closed, just slightly different.

If you’re worried about being told to self isolate for two weeks can you not just use the last two of your six weeks as a reserve?

Having just come back from France, given the finances there is nothing I’d recommend more than heading straight back there!

onehundredthidiot

I headed south to D&G and it’s busier here than normal. Campsite I’m on is quieter than normal but owners have reduced the number of pitches in use.
    All forestry carparks have no overnighting sign ignored by a few, presumably, special cases. Lots of bagged rubbish but no free floating rubbish.

j4mie
    Free Member

Drove up the A9 yesterday evening, stopped in a lay-by on the A835 about 25 mins from Ullapool. Very quiet traffic wise and the odd car/motor home parked up in lay-bys but I had a huge parking area to myself, then early drive up to Ullapool this morning again the odd car/motorhome but still very quiet.

On the ferry to Stornoway just now and the boat is very quiet. Cracking weather though so hopefully this continues!!

scotroutes

Aye, fantastic day here in Lochinver. Village is pretty quiet today, though it was all queues last week. Seems to be a lot of variance in just how busy things are. Of course, a lot of folk start the NC500 at the weekend and follow much the same itinerary so there is a certain “Mexican wave” effect in operation (if you’ve walked the West Highland Way you’ll experience the same thing).

tjagain

We are going to Kintyre and Cowal nin two weeks. Trying to use campsites and hotels. Most are closed! No campsites on Kintyre at all, one on arran, one on Cowal open. Crinnan Hotel shut – we were looking forward to that 🙁

So it looks like our plan to go to the less busy bits has backfired a bit

matt_outandabout

fantastic day here in Lochinver.

We should have waved at you as we went past…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Scotland open or not?’ is closed to new replies.