• This topic has 95 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Scandi TV
  • wallop

Been meaning to do this for a while. We have lots of recommendations littered around the forum so let’s get them in one place!

So. We’ve done all the classics – The Bridge (still my all time favourite), The Killing. I’ve not seen Beck, Borgen or Wallander though.

We’ve got season 2 of Follow the Money starting tomorrow on BBC4 at 9pm. Should be good but I’m keen to see what happens with the charismatic lead… (you know what I mean, ladies).

I’m developing a taste for flawed-but-awesome Danish female leads – check out Rita on Netflix if you can (3 seasons of Teachers-style comedy) and I’m currently chewing my way through ‘Dicte – Crime Reporter’ which is a super thing with shorter story arcs which take place over two episodes rather than a series. That’s on All4.

Also on All4, though not strictly Scandi, is ‘The Outlaws’ – a hilarious Belgian series about a group of sisters who try to bump off their brother-in-law. Another excellent offering by Walter Presents.

Trapped was really good last year – any news of a second series?

I’ve got a couple of episodes of The Team to catch up on. The first one was good, and has the mayor from The Killing (though he is a bit older and a touch heavier :lol:).

What else is not to be missed?

danradyr1
    Free Member

My favourite, although not skandi is the French/Flemish series Salamander. Think the Hatton Garden (?) bank robbery with professionals rather than OAPs.

cinnamon_girl

Another one started this evening wallop – Danish/Belgian/German called The Team from Walter Presents. Currently like buses. 😀 Oops, you’ve mentioned it. 😳

Excellent idea for a thread, let me test my memory.

cinnamon_girl

My all-time favourite is Borgen, despite not normally one for politics this was such a classy drama.

Wallander with Rolf Lassgard is the one to watch, surpasses Kenneth Brannagh.

Can’t imagine Follow The Money without the lead, was surprised to have seen him shot.

Hoping there’s a follow-up to Trapped, that bear of a man was great.

Beck is easy to watch, his neighbour is a hoot. Dicte was also easy to watch.

Started watching The Team this evening, nodded off and clearly wasn’t holding my attention.

cheers_drive

Not Scandi Noir but I recommend Klovn, proper laugh out loud un-PC funny, you’ll probably need to buy on DVD though (would lend you if I was still in Brizzle).
    Out if the ones you haven’t seen Borgen is the best imo.

cinnamon_girl

Fortitude, too grisly for me.
    Case.
    Acquitted.
    Modus.

The Border – Polish drama which was good.

Welsh? Am hoping Hinterland will return.

wallop

Oh yes – Acquitted! I binge watched this a couple of weeks ago. The acting started off pretty awful but I was mesmerised by the scenery, the fashion and the interior decor. There weren’t many likeable characters to start off with but it really came together and I really enjoyed it in the end – I felt a bit lost for a few days after I’d finished it!

wallop

I’m trying to find streamable Borgen but it’s not happening 🙁

mick_r

Hoping there’s a follow-up to Trapped, that bear of a man was great.

He was also in this, which you’ll probably like:-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deep_(2012_film)

wallop

That looks rather good…

cinnamon_girl

Yes, Acquitted was pretty good. Check out Ebay for Borgen dvd’s, there’s two series.

Edit: 3 seasons for Borgen.

wallop

Good tip! Hadn’t thought of that.

cinnamon_girl

Oh yes, forgot to mention another new series from Walter Presents called “The Swingers”. Yep, seriously and, yep, they do. From the Netherlands.

wallop

😉

funkmasterp

Not Scandi drama, but Scandi film – In Order Of Disappearance – is good. Also Spiral which is French and brilliant.

fisha
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Trapped.

Also liking Occupied. The premise of the story is really good.

DrJ

Oh yes, forgot to mention another new series from Walter Presents called “The Swingers”. Yep, seriously and, yep, they do. From the Netherlands.

I have been watching this. Thought it would be rubbish but it’s actually pretty entertaining!

If we’re spreading the net beyond Scandi-land, let’s go the whole hog and include The Kettering Incident? Has anyone got the remotest clue what it’s about? I am watching to see Elizabeth Debicki’s fabulous haircut, but I don’t see what’s in it for the non-fetish viewer 🙂

cheers_drive

The Hunt is on Channel 4 at 9 tomorrow. It’s good if IIRC

DezB
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Belgian black comedy called the Out-laws. Great stuff.
    Enjoying the Kettering Incident for it’s weirdness.
    Also The Legacy, missing that since it stopped on Sky Arts. No idea why cos it wasn’t action-pcked or anything particularly odd, just a decent story.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I’ll give follow the money a look this evening, but I was late to the party with Spiral. By jingo that was good! Audrey Fleurot was my favourite, and I’d love to see more. Is it going to continue? Or am I best to go back to the beginning?

DrJ

Or am I best to go back to the beginning [of Spiral]?

Definitely get the DVDs or whatever to catch up from the beginning, as elements of the story carry on from series to series.

funkmasterp

Audrey Fleurot

makes me go weak at the knees.

v8ninety

Trapped will be back in 2018, apparently 8)

mmannerr

Vasaloppet live.

Mikkel
    Free Member

For those who like Rolf Lassgård, get hold of this.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116736/

Mikkel
    Free Member

and for those wanting comedi, watch Welcome to Sweden that is hillarious

cinnamon_girl

@ Mikkel – that Rolf Lassgard film was recommended on here recently and, funnily enough, I’ve just finished watching the follow-up entitled False Trail. Both enjoyable despite a little gruesomeness.

Happy about Trapped returning. 🙂

Now officially given up with The Case, struggled with Danish/German/Belgian actors speaking English of which some was heavily accented. Subtitles would have been easier!

cinnamon_girl

A mention for the American version of The Killing – it’s very good especially Lund’s sidekick Holder. Runs to 3 seasons.

sands
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    … I’ve just finished watching the follow-up entitled False Trail.

Glad you got to see them.

Only recently found ‘The Killing Times’ website – good source of info for Scandi TV.
    Ongoing Scandi thread:
    Scandinavian Crime Drama

These look interesting:
    Season four of The Bridge will switch to Denmark for the main story

Swedish ‘Nordic Noir spoof’ Sophie Borg in the works

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Check out Ebay for Borgen dvd’s
    wallop – Member
    Good tip! Hadn’t thought of that.

CeX is a good source for cheap (second hand) Nordic.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Welcome to Sweden was crap just so you know.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Started watching The Team this evening, nodded off and clearly wasn’t holding my attention.

watching it but am a bit meh. It seems to be trying too hard so there’s no burn time, just development after development. And when the multi-national characters are together they speak English, but what’s really disconcerting is that the actors clearly speak such polished English that they sound like English actors faking foreign accents, particularly Lars Mikkelsen and Veerle Baetens (who sounds American).

We gave up with Trapped but I might have to revisit it and will look out for some of the other recommendations.

wallop

Oh I LOVED Trapped!

Mikkel
    Free Member

I need to watch the follow up to Jægerne, dad send me both on DVD but have not got round to watching the second one yet.

I am Danish but have lived in UK for 13 years and i cant stand watching Borgen, i cant put my finger on exactly what it is but they all just irritate me. Especially the woman playing the prime minister and the English subtitles are poorly done for a lot of it.

cinnamon_girl

@sands – thank you for those links, the Killing Times one looks to be a mine of information!

sands
    Free Member

You’re welcome (varsågod)

DrJ

Now officially given up with The Case, struggled with Danish/German/Belgian actors speaking English of which some was heavily accented. Subtitles would have been easier!

Case? Or The Team? I really liked Case, but gave up on The Team.

cinnamon_girl

Oh gosh, have come down with the TooMuchScandiTVitis virus. 😳 Yes I meant I’d given up with The Team, The Case was fine though.

I’m all subtitled out. 😀

sands
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Oh gosh, have come down with the TooMuchScandiTVitis virus.

This may save you…

Sat 11 Mar
    Another double episode weekend.
    BBC4 Follow the Money S2 ep3 21:00, S2 ep4 22:00

#prayforcg

cinnamon_girl

Thanks sands, watched it last week but am really missing Sander, wish he’d survived the shooting. 🙁 Kinda like watching Dallas without JR.

#prayforsander

wallop

Finished The Swingers last night, or ‘schvingers’ as they say 😆 I really enjoyed it. I knew all the gore would be saved for the final episode and it was all a bit ridiculous really but I thought the characters were great. Could have done with more shekshy time though 😆

I’m going to make a start on Follow the Money tonight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Scandi TV’ is closed to new replies.