• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Santoku Knife
  • Kuco

Who can recommend me a decent make? and while i'm at it a decent frying pan.

chewkw
    Free Member

What is your budget?

A good start will be Tojiro.

This site

Some here …I.O.SHEN Knives, Kai Shun Japanese Large Santoku Knife, Kasumi Knives – Damascus, Masahiro Knives …

Another site

Or order direct from Japan just like me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Second the Tojiro range. I've got a Tojiro Damascus DP Santoku and a Usuba as well, had them for 3 years, and they hold their edge incredibly well.

IIRC twas about £120 for both.

As for frying pan, I tend to use Le Creuset, but apparently Berndes are far better. Don't believe any of the drivel about celeb chefs using xxxxxx or yyyyyy pans, it's all pish.

doof_doof
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

As for frying pan, …

£12 carbon steel wok for me … 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, that's the site by doof_doof. Hattori comes highly recommended.

I just thought that you might want it for Xmas and wanted it soon so did not mention JapaneseChefsknife. Their delivery is fast. Koki is very nice to deal with.

Highly recommended. I use them for 3 of my knives and will order few more soon.

saleem
    Free Member

PANS, BOURGEAT……….anything else is a waste of your time, plus you can put the pan straight in your oven.

KNIVES, WUSTHOF,SHUN,MAC,TOJIRO,Depends if you're going to use a stone or a steel, had most knives over the last 20 years, but still use Wusthof 6 days a week at work and and at home on the other day too.

tomzo
    Free Member

I love posts about kitchen knifes on stw because it shows just how much mtbers love 'kit' and researching stuff before they buy. Deep down, we all know that the most you'll ever use them for is putting two holes in your meal for one from M&S. 🙂

Ambrose

Tomzo- Says you

chewkw
    Free Member

Deep down, we all know that the most you'll ever use them for is putting two holes in your meal for one from M&S.

Stone him! 😆

I don't/never nuke food in microwave and only use oven occasionally. Everything freshly prepared.

If you need one knives to rule them all then all you need is a Chinese cleaver. That will learn you!

😀

Mof
    Free Member

I just recently took a gamble on a daft offer.. Jean-Patrique Professional range. One of those silly offers I normally ignore, but took a punt on a set of 3 Santoku knives for 99p plus £8.95 p+p. I avoided all the other stuff they tried to persuade me to add to the order and just took the 3 knife set. Got to say, I'm impressed (for the money). Still very sharp, nice feel and a pleasure to use. I was planning on spending a small fortune on some "quality Japanese Knives", but for around a tenner… these will do fine for now thanks. These along with a Chinese Cleaver, Bread Knife and a Carving Knife are all you need.

As for pans… frying or otherwise… Circulon.

seven
    Free Member

and get a good holder

chewkw
    Free Member

You need a proper knife block.

Kuco

Thanks for the replies. In no rush so ordering from abroad could be an option. Same as chewkw 95% of my meals are freshly prepared only ever use microwave at work to reheat left overs from home.

Kuco

Cheers for all the advice I looked at the Santoku today but I went for a Wusthof Ikon chef and Paring knife in the end.

Drac

I've always bought my Woks from Chinese supermarkets, dead cheap and are fully round none of this flat on the bottom nonsense usually cost around £6.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wusthofs are ace, I have a full set of the Classics. Get a nice wooden block (Doesn't have to be Wusthof, but they are nice) as they'll look after your edges.

Kuco

As for frying pan I got a LeCreuset as It had 33% off. Drac got a nice old wok from a chinese supermarket must be nearly 10 years old 🙂 CFH yeah got to get a good wood block.

jedi

kitchen devil knife and any old aluminium pans 🙂

Kuco

Jedi people get turned on by bike bling but it's kitchen bling that does it for me 😉

jedi

🙂 🙂

Drac

Drac got a nice old wok from a chinese supermarket must be nearly 10 years old

No need to replace it, I only replace mine as nearly every time I go in I seem by a new one. That said the huge one I threw away was about 12 years old.

Kuco

My sister goes to the local Asian supermarket and buys her mangos and avacados about half the price than high street supermarkets sell them for.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Santoku Knife’ is closed to new replies.