Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Santa Cruz Blur classic to Spesh Camber
  • catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Hi, I have a santa cruz blur classic that requires a bit of work done to it- Bearings & pivots need replaced, which will not be a cheap rebuild. Also as its a very old blur classic, the clearance at the back isnt great- it fits a 2.35 maxxis, but usually is full of mud & whatever else at the end of the ride. It has a decent spec on it, Blackbox rebas, DT wheeset XT / XTR drivetrain, xt brakes etc etc. So I was looking at replacement frames, and came across the camber, which would suit my needs as it has 135mm / QR droputs, 120mm of travel etc etc.
    Obviously its dificult to get the frame on its own, but I have found one for sale secondhand, but it doesnt have a shock. The dimensions of the shock on the blur seem to be the same as what the camber needs, is it just a matter of swapping them across, or would the shock tune need changed to suit the differant linkage behavour?
    So, good idea or no? Am i just better off getting the blur sorted? Obviously new shiney shiney factor comes into play! Ta for any advice!

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd?

SBrock
    Free Member

Personally I would invest the money in the Blur, great bike and has a bit more X factor over the Camber!

z1ppy

is it just a matter of swapping them across, or would the shock tune need changed to suit the differant linkage behavour?

New mount kit for the shock will probably be required.

or would the shock tune need changed to suit the differant linkage behavour?

Both 4 bar, one way or another? Dunno TBH, give TF Tuned a ring & ask, they’ve always been helpful, then order a mount kit off em…

Shiney new bike for me, pop the blur in the loft and rebuild it later.

[SC owner … you can stick you X factor where the sun doesn’t shine]

SBrock
    Free Member

[SC owner … you can stick you X factor where the sun doesn’t shine]

Could you substantiate that please?

z1ppy

Mmmm-OK?

Don’t get me wrong, great bike & it wants to go fast, but I prefer my Prophet

purser_mark
    Free Member

Make sure you rude a Camber before making the change. Blur is a VPP bike and will ride quite a bit differently, you may find the Camber doesn’t suit you.

However if you just want a new bike to get the juices going, what the hell. Still try before you buy though.

I just chopped my BlurLT for a Zesty…….both great bikes, just wanted a change and had had the Blur since 07.

The Zesty feels a lot plusher, perhaps the difference between a 2006 design v 2011 technology. Things move on.

footflaps

My original Blur is still going:

140mm Fork, 4.6″ travel (57mm shock upgrade on 50mm original). 2.4″ tyres (which required some filing of chain stays and spacer washers on axle).

My Blur @ That Post by brf, on Flickr

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Ta for the advice chaps, I’ll have to see if anyone near me / shops have a camber I can try, didnt consider the differance in suspension would change the feel of the bike that much. Footflaps, how did you modify the back end to take bigger tyres? I dont fancy removing material from the triangle, I’m a heavy fella!

footflaps

I just used a file! As it’s a 2003 frame, I don’t really care if it fails, I’m after a more modern frame anyway 🙂

Turns out I can get the tyre to fit just adding 2mm of washers onto the QR axle to make more room – that was after I’d removed about 3mm of aluminium!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Blur classic to Spesh Camber’ is closed to new replies.