Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Santa Cruz 5010
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve owned both a Blur LT & XC – loved the poppiness of both bikes & the way the VPP rides.

Anyone have experience of 26″ Santa Cruz bikes, ideally Blur, & the 5010? What are your thoughts?

Ta bigly.

tomhoward

IMO it’s perfect. I’ve a V1 and it’ll be buried with me.

wallop

5010 isn’t 26″ though….

wallop

But that aside, I really love my 5010. I have a V1 too and I wouldn’t change it for anything right now.

neilforrow

As with Tom and wallop, on a v1 and love it. They perfected the formula of the lt with the solo.

I’ve usually swapped out my bikes quicker than this as I’d get board. Not this one.

Solo love-in right here.

Great bike.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They perfected the formula of the lt with the solo.

Interesting, I really liked my LT but always thought the top tube was too short & the head angle too steep.

Fair to say these changes have been made with the 5010?

neilforrow

That’s sort of what I was getting at; the concept of a playful bike with more modern geo.

Fair to say it could still be a bit longer still, I.e on trend, but its simply a really fun bike to ride, just as the blur was intended. Like the 4x version is probably a better ref point.

pyekid
    Free Member

Always wanted a trc, but I could never find a perfect comfortable fit. Demoed a medium and large with varying stem lengths. Instantly felt at home on my medium V1 5010, I’ve just changed the rear shock to a ohlins and it’s made it amazing.

slowbloke
    Free Member

The current v2 is longer than the v1 5010 which is still quite short.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You realise you lot are talking me into a new bike??

slowbloke
    Free Member

You won’t regret it!

excalibur

I owned a Blur Trc for a few years, it was the best bike I’d ever had. Now replaced under warranty with a Solo v2 (I didn’t enjoy sending the old trc frame to the Santa Cruz scrapyard, like losing a good friend). The Solo is better balanced, more “grown up” and ultimately more capable. It would possibly have been even better (fun) without the move to fashionable in-betweener wheels, but the BB is a tad low for me to try 26er wheels on it. Great bike, time will tell if it can be as “special” as the blur!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

A mate of mine with access to all sorts of nice bikes including a Hightower, still rides his 5010 more than anything else and is just about to change it to a V2. He can properly ride and I’ve seen him do stuff on it that I wouldn’t try on a V10! Great bikes. Go for it!

slowbloke
    Free Member

@hughjayteens I’d be interested to know why he prefers the 5010 to the Hightower. I was torn between the 2 when I bought mine and never did test ride a Hightower but keep thinking about doing so.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Really fun solid bikes.

Just watch what any of the 50to01 boys do on theirs (including josh bryceland)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Definately regret not buying a carbon 5010 from start cycles last summer, £2.800, seems to have nearly double since then 😡

jmatlock
    Free Member

I borrowed a carbon V2 5010 for the day that had been set up for me by the guys from Jungle and rode all my local trails on it. It was hands down the most fun I have ever had on a bike. Just the right amount of travel, but it felt lighting fast. I was so close to doing a deal on it, but I just couldn’t raise the £500 I was short. It maybe the most fun bike I have ever ridden.

Gilles

hughjayteens
    Free Member

slowbloke – Member

@hughjayteens
    I’d be interested to know why he prefers the 5010 to the Hightower. I was torn between the 2 when I bought mine and never did test ride a Hightower but keep thinking about doing so.

His riding style is quite ’50to01′ and I think he just finds it much easier to throw around and hop/manual etc. Playful is probably how he’d describe it whereas the HT is much more of a flat out ride over anything type bike.

deanfbm
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

#santacruzbicycles #5010cc ££££££

A post shared by Dean Dobson (@dean_dobson_og) on

Gilles

I knew this thread needed pictures

slowbloke
    Free Member

Pictures you say? Oh, go on then.

tenfoot

I know they’re ‘hot off the press’, but has anyone ridden an alloy framed version yet?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

My mate has one, rides nice and looks great. One of the very few I’d swap my own bike for.

willjones
    Free Member

66% of these bikes are 5010s. I think mine is a wonderful thing… half bmx, half cross country thing, and er half V10.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Currently on a nomad but think a 5010 will be my next frame when i swap it

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I moved from a ’03 Superlight to a V2 5010, obviously it’s a big step forward! I was worried about losing the ‘feel’ of the single pivot as some multi-pivot bikes feel dead but that hasn’t happened at all. Love it.

You realise you lot are talking me into a new bike??

Danny MadSkillz rides one too… 🙂

zelak999
    Free Member

I haven’t tried the 5010 V1 but i used to have a 2012 Blur LTc and the difference between the 5010 V2 and the Blur LTc is phenomenal.
    The V2 is so well balanced and it seems to handle everything in its path without flinching.
    The longer top tube on the V2 helps i reckon.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The only problem is you will see lots of posts like this:
    https://twitter.com/danny_macaskill/status/818151482742738945

I think mine must be broken….

hughjayteens
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/PNCSVck2uT4[/video]

mikeep
    Free Member

I had a blur xc quite a few years ago and now have a v2 5010.

If I don’t smile out riding the 5010 then there’s something wrong with me. It’s just really good fun.

Super direct and eager like a little puppy. Had it in the alps (with fork at 150mm) and it was great on all but hitting rock gardens too fast.

Forks back down to 140 for the uk as I like the way it rails corners being so low 🙂

If you’re not planning doing any enduro racing on gnarly courses then I’d say it the perfect bike for any UK riding.

tomhoward

I’ve done a couple of pmba events on mine and it did as well, if not better, than a nomad

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz 5010’ is closed to new replies.