Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sandwich wrappings…
  • peath
    Free Member

So what is the hive minds consensus on the best way to wrap your sandwiches if no tupperware is available?

Cling film or foil?

clubber
    Free Member

My understanding is that the official word is to avoid using clingfilm where it’ll be in direct contact with the food.

So, foil.

brakes
    Free Member

– sandwich bags/ cling film

Foil always feels like an extravagance, but I’m not sure which is the worst use of resources. Can you recycle foil?

grievoustim
    Free Member

My understanding is that the official word is to avoid using clingfilm where it’ll be in direct contact with the food.

back in the day maybe – pretty sure modern clingfilm is fine

rene59
    Free Member

Paper

peath
    Free Member

Foil does seem like an extravagance (which lead me to the question), but I don’t know if it really is or not.

Do sandwich bags really work, my sandwiches disintegrate if not held together…

DrJ

brown paper bag, a la Walt White?

matt_outandabout

Newspaper, lad. Proper way. 😉

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Old crisp bag from under me pillow, forward thinking !

Selled
    Free Member

Parma Ham?

andytherocketeer

sandwich bags are fine, just make sarnies that stick together.

and you get a free resealable rubbish bag after you’ve eaten them.

peath
    Free Member

Parma ham? Is that then like a middle class pasty?

clubber
    Free Member

I went and looked it up…

Guidance on using cling film safely
    The FSA’s advice is that not every type of cling film is suitable for all uses. To protect the quality and taste of food and make sure cling film is used correctly, it is important not to:

use cling film where it could melt into the food – eg in conventional ovens or with pots and pans on cooker hobs
    allow cling film to touch the food when re-heating or cooking it in a microwave oven
    use cling film in contact with high fat foods unless the manufacturer’s advice says it is suitable for this
    High fat foods include:

some types of cheese
    raw meats with a layer of fat
    fried meats
    pastry products
    cakes with butter icing or chocolate coatings
    How plastic food contact materials are regulated
    European Commission Regulation 10/2011 controls the substances used in plastic food contact materials and sets out conditions for using them. The directive applies throughout Europe and its rules are included in UK food law. Independent expert committees have examined the plasticisers used in cling film. Where necessary, restrictions have been introduced to protect public health.

The Food Contact Materials Team can provide more information about the safety of cling film used in the food industry. You can contact them by email at FoodContactMaterial@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk. Alternatively, you can call the Food Standards Agency Food Contact Materials Team Helpline on Tel 020 7276 8555.

So you’re probably fine with cold sandwiches assuming they’re not high fat…

sandwicheater

Plastic sandwich bag which I wash/re-use.

brakes
    Free Member

^^^there’s a man who should know!

from my extensive* research, it seems foil is best, if it gets recycled.

*extensively brief

jodafett

Foil. I buy a cheap roll of it that comes with no packaging. It’s recyclable where I live so I just take it home.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I usually use the loaf bag that the bread came in (reduce > re-use > recycle). Funnily enough, it’s just about the right size to fit the bread…

Cougar

Foil, due the improved structural integrity it provides; ie, you’re less likely to wind up with an Airfix “build your own sandwich” kit by lunchtime.

z1ppy

Cling film, but stored in a plastic box, so they don’t get crushed.
    More important in my book, is the where the ‘sauce or condiment’ is placed within the sandwich makeup. No sauce near the bread (except mustard), as butter will not stop it going soggy (if you can leave sauce off till you eat.. even better)

mogrim

More important in my book, is the where the ‘sauce or condiment’ is placed within the sandwich makeup. No sauce near the bread (except mustard), as butter will not stop it going soggy (if you can leave sauce off till you eat.. even better)

That’s just so wrong I don’t know where to start! Cheese and tomato sandwich – simple yet so good – is even better a couple of hours after making (suitable sealed in foil) when the tomato juice has soaked into the bread. Same goes for sauces – mayo, for example.

z1ppy

<shudders> man that just plain nasty, damp bread, baaaaaarrrrrrffffffff

PiknMix
    Free Member

Grease proof paper and string.

mogrim

<shudders> man that just plain nasty, damp bread, baaaaaarrrrrrffffffff

Wrong wrong wrong!

Presumably you’re the kind of weirdo that would leave the last bit of soup in the bowl, despite having a bread roll to hand to clean it up?

😡 😀

peath
    Free Member

Paper and string?! Isn’t that just too much trouble?

And a, not too, soggy sandwich is good – hence my trouble keeping the thing whole…

nickjb
    Free Member

Where on earth are you if there is no tuppaware available. It is not possible to be more the 800 yards from a pound shop in the UK.

z1ppy

Presumably you’re the kind of weirdo that would leave the last bit of soup in the bowl, despite having a bread roll to hand to clean it up?

Nope, That’s the only exception I have to getting bread ‘wet’ (can’t waste good soup)… never on a sandwich though 😛

freddyg
    Free Member

We’re never short of tupperware-like boxes. Out Indian take-away supplies them.

If not, then foil which we recycle afterwards.

sharkbait
    Free Member

which I wash/re-use.

😯

Anyhoo, in the absence of a box I’d go with cling film for freshness followed by foil for protection.

freddyg
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

which I wash/re-use.

The heavy duty ones (e.g. resealable jobbies from Ikea) are perfectly washable.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ah OK……. not so Mr Bean then! 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sandwich wrappings…’ is closed to new replies.