Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Salsa Fargo tried one and liked it.
  • plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

Took a Salsa Fargo out for a spin yesterday and really really liked it. I am after a new do it all steed that can go off road with the kids, commute and be comfortable all day. Any thing else I should be looking at?

Plastic

oliverracing

Something like this…

[img]http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w593/oliverracing/11694990_10204776892490745_8805989827470872478_n_zpsvwfpktzj.jpg[/img]

I did have to make the frame myself but it’s half way between fargo geometry and the geometry of my old CX bike. It is great fun and handles just as well loaded up as without the kit.

I’ve used it for alpine bikepacking a few times and it’s currently setup SS which adds to the fun.

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

Oliver, good job and I like that. Homemade is not for me so I need to find an off the shelf solution.

hooja
    Free Member

Exactly the same reasons i built a Fargo, Towing the youngster in the trailer or on a rear seat one day, long distance races the next and squeezing in the odd ITT. However, what i didnt realise, was how much fun it would be blasting around trail centres like a lunatic, if you lean towards the smaller frame size (to suit your size) they are awesome. It is now my only offroad bike, running 2.4 up front and 2.25 rear with a 1×11 setup, best bike i have ever owned!

lotto
    Free Member

JJ+. Blow your socks clean off it will.

scud
    Free Member

I have an old Mk1 Fargo which i’ve just powdercoated as it’s had a hard life and am rebuilding at the moment. Would love a new one with the alternator plates and ability to take larger tyres, but have watched for frame and forks go up from £549 to £900 over the last few years.

Great bikes and easy to ride all day on, trouble is not many second hand ones knocking about.

A lot of people have put drop bars on Surly Ogre/ ECR, the Singular Swift and on On One Inbreads if you search interweb.

This guys blog has page after page of info on drop bar mountain bikes, first page is here:

g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2008/10/drop-bar-for-mountain-biking-part-i.html

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    charliemort

I will be selling a large Fargo frame (the early cream coloured one) in next few weeks. Also brakes and drivetrain – just in case anyone is interested

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve spent ages looking at a Fargo with the intention of some touring (when I get old) and doing the TD one day. Luckily CTBM were doing 2016 frames and carbon fork for a great price at the end of last year. The new ones are boost which I’m not keen on. I love mine, took it around Thetford yesterday in the slop, great fun!

peanut
    Free Member

^^ Hey Charlie, please let me know more about the Large Fargo, cheers.

Sanny
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/salsa-fargo/

My thoughts on mine. A truly great bike. Lots of fun to ride and own. A true monster crosser! I got mine for exactly the same uses as you.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

ibnchris

I have an old swift I put drops on with a short stem and it works a treat. As I’m thinking of treating myself to a new Travers some time in next few months it might be for sale if you want a cheap dabble in monstercross

Equally if Kent based you’re welcome to take it for a spin

Andy

Brilliant bike. Eats up the miles when trundling along. Not super fast, but quite capable off road. 6000kms on mine last year including the GDMBR. Might be selling my 2016 Large – because I want to get one in Titanium 😀 Anyway here are some pics!

charliemort

Peanut – yhm

GregMay
    Free Member

Have had a steel Fargo gen2. Sold it to buy a Ti Fargo which I still have. Loved both of them.
    Now I have a Cutthroat. They are not the same in many ways.

I would buy another steel Fargo with the new dropouts. New carbon fork is excellent too.

charliemort

Greg – what’s main differences with cutthroat?

GregMay
    Free Member

Cutty is A)carbon B)has more flex/bow induced travel in the rear C)slightly longer TT and lower headtube.

If it was for pootling and enjoying spending the spare cash on exploration – I’d go Fargo.
    If I was buying another racing frame – Cutty all the way.

Also also, new Fargo has adjustable dropouts. Cutty is 142*12 set and with a PF90 BB. Which, isn’t as evil as you’d expect, but I’d still rather an external BB.

Cutty was specifically designed to race this:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/L7waY9]DSC00383.jpg[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

Fork (Carbon) is the same between the two – slight mod to the 2017 fork on the Cutty over the 2016 which reduced the size of the bottle you could run under the DT.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Fargo tried one and liked it.’ is closed to new replies.