Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Salsa Fargo Owners
  • GregMay
    Free Member

Roger roger Basil. Are you on the wider Loops or the ‘older’ narrow ones?

geoffj

Sanny – was yours parked up at the Glenmore FC visitor centre last weekend?
    Sad as it may seem, I was ogling a Fargo and distinctly remembered the S-Works tyres on it (sad I know).
    It was very nice, whosever it was 🙂

Basil

The older 660mm loops.Trying to resist the new 710mm bars and a swop to twist shifters

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m planning on not resisting the new 710mm bars 🙂 I moved onto X0 Twisters a while ago…utter revelation in shifting, love them now. Thus want to keep them for Divide.

Liking the new Alternator dropouts for the 2014 model, looks like it will accomidate everything…bar Gatesdrives 🙂

Basil

Had the old XO 9 speed on a Yeti. The new 10 speed twist shifts look to have improved further.
    As I have 3 x 9 maybe I don’t clean my chain this winter.

stevemakin

Did a sharpish 50 on mine today, along the TPT to Warrington then out to Great Budworth, I think this would be the bike I’d save in a house fire, mines an XL Greg, gen 2 version, they come up quite short compared to a standard road bike, always takes 15 mins to readjust to the riding position

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Geoff

Good spot, mister! We’re you the guy on the Orange On one or the dude who had the Rab jacket on? I actually assumed that you were looking at my wife’s Maverick! Aye, I run it with S Works Captains which are remarkably good and cope will with carrying my daughter on the back. Impressed by your eye for detail. We were up for the week so I was riding that for family fun, my test Giant Trance X for the off road and got to demo a Jones courtesy of Dave at Bothy. Now that is a lovely bike but I reckon the diamond frame with the Unicrown forks is the better bike as it is more comfy and lighter….plus it is half the price!

Cheers

Sanny

Ps Small world eh?

damascus
    Free Member

I toured across africa on a surly lht and can’t praise it enough but for every day use its just too heavy and sluggish.

I looked at buying a Fargo and vaya as I ride a salsa horsethief and I love it but as I wanted it as a road bike, cyclocross bike etc I decided they were just too heavy.

In the end I went for a kinesis tripster and so far its been great. From memory my XL frame weighed 1800g with headset and seatpost clamp. Carbon forks around 700g.

The inboard rear disc mount means the rack and mudguards fit fine. Its not as good fully loaded but does ok. Its best as a cx but holds its own on the road with slicks. It takes upto a 1.5 inch tyre.

GregMay
    Free Member

That Tripster is very nice! I’d be a bit hesitant for using it on the Divide though :/ Not quite a CX bike I’m looking for…have 2 of them, want bigger rubber up front. But, also want to be able to have the option of doing a bit of sneaky MTB riding on it as well as SS option if it falls to pieces half way round.

damascus
    Free Member

yes, If your looking for bombproof get the salsa Fargo.

GregMay
    Free Member

So I got one of these then:

Had it nearly two weeks now and done about 250km on it. Mixture of bridleways, trail centre rides, Peak District boulder chutes, and riding to work. Pretty much anything I could try it on as for the first week…I had it on demo.

Honestly, after about 30mins I knew it was right. Unreal. Those bars may look fugly but they work…they really do.

garage-dweller

Just out of curiosity (not that I would like one to be my next +1 clearly) what drive train are the drop bar bikes using now as I gather shimano road and mtb no longer talk to each other.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Looks ace Greg!

midlifecrashes

Looks gorgeous, and great fun.

Drivetrain on mine (green mk1 on p1 of this thread) is 105 triple (3×10) shifters, 105 front triple mech, XT trekking triple chainset (48/36/26), 9 speed XT shadow rear mech, 10 speed 11-36 cassette. Road 10 speed shifters still play with 9 speed rear mechs.

johnnystorm

Garage dweller: I’ve deore 9-speed using the Microshift bar-ends. Not sure what’s on the 2014 but I think they’ve gone to brifters. The SRAM speccd bikes were to begin with.

roudsey
    Free Member

Anyone had issues with toe overlap on a small 16″ Salsa fargo?. I’m thinking about buying one, but none of the bike shops have small ones to try.Any other comments on sizing for a small one ( I’m 5’8″).I currently ride a 17″ kona 26″ mountain bike with midge bars which does road sections, fire road and Lakedistrict singletrack.
    Would appreciate any comments!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yes ..I’ve a small …and get some toe overlap ..not too much ….at first it was a bit of a pain …but you kind of get used to moving your feet to a different position …not really a problem now ….if your in the south west come and try it …I’m 5’10.
    Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

roudsey
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer of a try out, I’m in the Lakes though. Looking at your set up I would be spot on for a small, and with size seven feet might just miss the toe overlap? Like you say, could get used to it. Do you like the bike?.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Love the bike …but must stop trying to use it as a mountain bike ………I’ve size 10 feet …so you could be ok

GregMay
    Free Member

Why stop using it as a MTB? They are awesome for riding trails on!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Because it realty isn’t built for what I’m putting it through ……most trails yes it’s ok …but not too much of the gnar stuff ……

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Fargo Owners’ is closed to new replies.