Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Saddles – be honest, how comfy is yours?
  • IHN

I’ve never found a truly comfortable saddle. After trying many, I’m currently using a Charge Spoon which is, at best, alright, and after a couple of hours it’s starting to be pretty uncomfortable.

So, on a scale of one to ten, where:

one = having your knackers battered with a rusty spike
    ten = having your bottom gently supported by the soft hands of angels

where do you, well, sit?

I reckon I’m a five.

clubber
    Free Member

8 or 9 I reckon – I can feel it if I ride long enough but otherwise, saddle soreness just isn’t an issue.

That said, I think that some people are just more prone to it than others – some people could ride in hair pants on a saddle made of rusty nails and still be fine while other have tried every combination of shorts/position/saddle/creams and still struggle.

D0NK

flite, a good solid 9 if not a ten.

tried a few others not as good, should try more but as you don’t really know whether a saddle is good until about 4 or 5 hours in it’s a bit of a faff.

Rorschach
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air,9
    Prologo Scratch Carbon,3 (but it was £160 so it stays!)

IHN

You’d have thought there would be some sort of arse-ometer in bike shops that you could sit on, and it would measure the size/shape/pressure points whatever and then they could recommend a particular saddle.

Actually didn’t Spesh do that once?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Bontrager Evoke and SDG Bel Air.

Both are a 9 for up to 2 hours. Slowly gets down to a 6 or 7 for 6 hrs plus. But I think that’s more about sitting on a bicycle saddle for a long time rather than any critique of said saddle.

IHN

as you don’t really know whether a saddle is good until about 4 or 5 hours in it’s a bit of a faff.

Not to say expensive…

yunki
    Free Member

charge spoon.. it pinches a bit for the first few miles if I haven’t been out for a week or two.. and also if I’ve been hammering too many miles..

other than that.. about a 9

tang
    Free Member

think spesh still do a arse o meter

stumpy01

Charge spoon on both bikes recently & I reckon comfort level was about 5.

Now gone back to original saddle on the Stumpjumper & it’s probably up to a 7/8, hell, a 7.5.

Might go back to WTB saddles as they seem to suit my butt….

uphilla
    Free Member

One of the two Holy Grails of Cycling, the perfect saddle 🙂 – I rate mine at around 8. Have tried a vaste range and keep coming back to WTB – the current one, A Rocket V Team, is like a comfy settee (for the first hours or so anyway..)

turboferret

If I’m totally honest, the SLR’s which adorn most of my bikes aren’t super comfy, probably a 5 I reckon.

Cheers, Rich

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’d have thought there would be some sort of arse-ometer in bike shops

There is ,bontrager do one.They also do a 30 moneyback comfort guaranty on their saddles.
    There are many factors which decide whether a saddle is comfy or not-width,padding,flex,side to side shape,cut out,profile.

badbob
    Free Member

charge spoon, about a 8/9? ( for about 4 hours) Angle is critical!! just put on a new seatpost, and its not quite the same

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You’d have thought there would be some sort of arse-ometer in bike shops that you could sit on, and it would measure the size/shape/pressure points whatever and then they could recommend a particular saddle.

Actually didn’t Spesh do that once?

Yes, resulted in the most uncomfortable saddles katie and I have ever had the misfortune to own. she still blames it for bringing on her sciatica.

SDG BelAir seem to fit a lot of people. I liked them but they don’t wear that well.

I’m back on Selle Italia now. SLR on the road bike, SLR T1 on my Helius (Great saddle). WTB on a couple of other bikes.

MTFU basically.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep as above, Spesh and Bonty do different width saddles, doesn’t really tell you a style though, just a width. I’m technically a 143mm in Spesh saddles, but did a 12 hour solo on a 130mm Phenom SL and had no issues whatsoever.

I’d say mine (Toupe and Bontrager carbon shelled thingummy) are both 9s – they’re never going to be quite arm chair comfy, but they’re good enough that I just never notice them.

stevepitch
    Free Member

SDG Belair starts off about a 5 moves to a 7-8 over a period of two hours then starts to drop off to a 4 over the following couple of hours, god i’d love a comfy saddle!

Tends to be worse if I havent riden for a week or so, go figure

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bike 1 has a Bel Air I-Beam, which scores an 8. The saddle itself is very comfortable, but there is very little “give” in the seat frame.

Bike 2 has a budget Intake saddle which I bought mainly because it’s white and is supposed to have Ti rails, all for £35. The snob in me hates it, but it’s actually very comfortable and again scores a well earned 8.

Missus’s bike has a Charge Spoon, which I found to really live up to the hype. After an hour of riding on a brand new saddle, I forgot that it was even there. I’d give it a 9, but Mrs PJM reports a sore derriere on it though.

BoardinBob

Charge spoon is excellent 9/10

Fizik think on my other bike is horrendous 1/10

monksie
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR. Stripped down to the bare carbon base. It should be hideous but it’s actually heaven. 9 out of 10. It could do with just a little flex on the broadest of egdes to be 10. I might try and slim one down and see how it goes.
    I’ve sold a few to others who have tried it as well so it’s not just me with a freakishly tough bottom.

lunge

I think a lot of comfort is down to hardening your backside and it getting used to being on a saddle. I also think angle can make a big difference as well

I’ve got a Charge Spoon on the MTB which is OK, maybe a 5 at the moment but the more I ride the less I feel it, so it is maybe an 7 with some miles on it.

On the road bike I’ve got a Selle Italia Flow X1 which I hated on the first ride but having had a play with the angle and put some miles in now feels much better. A good 7 at least.

I’ve also got a very old and beaten up Flite Ti which is wonderully comfy when I am riding lots and hellish when I have not ridden for a while. I would say it a 9 when I’m saddle hardened but a 2 or 3 when I’m not. Hence it may go on the road bike soon once I have got some miles in.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have a SDG Formula FX I beam or something like that… 8/10

took some getting used to, and I didn’t get on with padded shorts at all.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

San Marco SKN, not a lot of it, but its never given been uncomfortable for me, even after 100+ road miles.

I reckon a lot of it is down to shorts. How many of you who can’t find a comfy saddle wear baggy shorts?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mountain Bikes have Charge Spoons on them and I’d give them a 9 out of 10 to be honest, fine for hours on end in the saddle.

Strangely they can feel a bit wide initially if I’m riding the MTB after time on the road bike, thats got a San Marco SKN on in and it’s very comfortable, 100 miles is not a worry at all.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

WTB rocket V

My saddle never becomes uncomfortable so 10 I reckon. But Im not too sure wether it is the saddle or just time.

When I first got into MTB(1998) I used to find all the saddle uncomfortable admittedly some were better than other and I did settle on the WTB designs around 2002 I think.

But I have a feeling the saddle’s might have become more comfortable as my arms got stronger allowing me to put more weight on my hands.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’d rate mine a 10, but then it cost best part of £100 so I’d expect nothing less 😯 italia ftw!

pedalhead
    Free Member

In my never-ending search for the perfect perch for long rides, I’ve come to realise that a decent pair of shorts makes more difference (IME) than the saddle. Having said that, I’ve accumulated, I think it’s 18 saddles now, and lots of different shorts. If anyone’s interested, the current winners for my arse are Sugoi RS shorts & Specialized Phenom SL (130mm) saddle. I’ll probably change my mind next week though.

passtherizla
    Free Member

How many of you who can’t find a comfy saddle wear baggy shorts?

I have no problems wearing baggies… I got a rash and really sweaty using padded shorts. so not comfortable at all and they were expensive ones that fitted really well.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR. Stripped down to the bare carbon base. It should be hideous but it’s actually heaven. 9 out of 10. It could do with just a little flex on the broadest of egdes to be 10. I might try and slim one down and see how it goes.
    I’ve sold a few to others who have tried it as well so it’s not just me with a freakishly tough bottom.

Did this the other week, makes for a great winter saddle and don’t really notice the lack of padding.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I bought my bike S/H and it came with a Crivit Sport saddle. A great,big chunky thing. I think its from either Lidl or Aldis and I can’t see it having cost more than a tenner.

Turns out to be the comfiest saddle I’ve used. It’s ideal for commuting, and if i push my backend to the very back its like sitting on a comfy armchair.

The snob in me swapped it with a San Marco. Lasted one ride and I swapped back.

Wish I could get another one for my other bike!

10/10

kiwijohn

Flite 9
    WTB SST reissue 9
    Titec Ithys 6
    Snafu BMX 8
    The Titec should be more comfy on the HT, but it’s a bit wide at the nose.
    The SST has a bent rail, anyone know how to bend it back?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Reminds me of this old advert…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko[/video]

Clobber
    Free Member

Charge spoon is good for me on short rides

SDG Bel Air RL is better

greeble
    Free Member

sdg bel air. 10

Nobby

I’d rate my Selle Italia Pro-link thingy as a 9.5.

Following a medical issue I did a fair bit of investigation into saddles & the start point really is to get your sit bones measured on a Spesh or Bonty arse-ometer (or cheat & use a thick piece of corrugated cardboard). Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers don’t publish their saddle widths so you may need to go shopping with a tape measure/ruler.

After that it’s pretty much down to personal choice re padding & shape.

Jamesy
    Free Member

Cube trail fx 8
    Charge spoon 4 i hated this saddle far to hard for

spacehopper

i use a selle san marco concor light id rate as a 9..

tried a charge spoon after reading all the rave reviews and id rate it as a 2 at best… hated the thing!

theboatman
    Free Member

Syncros FL on my mtb, still comfy after 12 hours on it, but no use on the road bikes.
    San Marco Aspide on the road bikes, only 160grams, but a 10 for comfort.

huw
    Free Member

Charge Spoon here, most comfortable saddle I’ve used so far. Good for 24 hour soloing. I find having a comfortable pad in your lycra shorts is a big factor in overall comfort as well.

Saddles are very personal things. Not something one can recommend to another in my opinion. Got to be down to the individual.

bobfleming

Must have gone through about 10 saddles in search of my holy grail!

Think I’ve found it though – Spesh Phenom expert in 143 – 9/10 out of ten for me.

Made my riding far more enjoyable, never think about it anymore!,but its been try and try again for about ten years!!
    Some shops/manufacturers doing trial saddles now, thats how I discovered this one. Would have saved a fortune if they did this years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Saddles – be honest, how comfy is yours?’ is closed to new replies.