Home Forums Bike Forum saddlebags old school or nu skool recommendations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • saddlebags old school or nu skool recommendations
  • fenboy

Looking for a saddlebag, not a tool one i have several of those. I’m considering a carradice super c audax or the barley saddlebags plus the frame support system. I only need about 9-10L, its for gravel and road adventures where i don’t want my pockets stuffed with stuff but might want to carry more than an energy bar and gels. you know maybe a sketchbook and water colours, cucumber sandwich etc and might pick up a nice local ale from a twee village shop while riding about, that kind of thing! Not a bike packing sack thing that you have to delve about looking for stuff in.

Or are there any nu skool alternatives I’ve overlooked? I’ve looked at Wizard works stuff (mini Shazam) and Restrap etc but they don’t seem to fit the same bill or are too pricey for what they are.

Carradice stuff is coming in around £130 mark and could swap between a winter road or a gravel bike easily enough. I’m a massive procrastinator so would appreciate either having my choice approved :-)) or alternatives offered? Any real world views on the Carradice stuff as well?

Input and advice much appreciated as always

steezysix
    Free Member

Carradice stuff is great, if a little old fashioned looking (which I like) – Ive got a Super C and Super C Audax which is probably the one you want.

I don’t use the bagman support with the Audax, just the QR saddle mount and strap it to the seat post. It’s super quick to access and stable even when it’s not full, unlike a bikepacking style seatpack.  I normally keep a folding foam sit mat inside to give it a bit more shape, I’ve seen other people cut up thin plastic sheet to do the same thing.

The cotton duck fabric is pretty waterproof, but if you’re not using mudguards it’s probably worth drybagging any electronics, clothing that you might keep in there if it’s rainy.

StirlingCrispin

I have just repaired my Carradice Camper Longflap, replacing a leather strap and patching some ripped fabric.

Pretty disappointed to be fair – it’s only 28 years old, with 23 years of near daily use.

I use the Carradice QR bracket and rack –  with brackets on 3 different bikes allowing a quick swap.

Seatpost Quick Release System for Saddlebags SQR

So – Carradice. From Spa Cycles too ;)

fenboy

@steezysix thanks for that, i’m pretty much there on the Super C Audax I think, have one in a basket now. I’d use with mudguards mainly but there might be the odd foray without so will bear your advice in mind! cheers

fenboy

Nice One @StirlingCrispin

Just looked on Spa Cycles and ordered ;-)

montgomery
    Free Member

Going cheap on SJS at the moment.

didnthurt

Ortlieb QR. Amazing piece if kit.

Edit: bit bigger than I thought at 13l

Expensive, heavy, can be fitted in seconds, well made and should last a long time.

fenboy

I got the Carradice super c audax bag and QR bag support for £114, the bags cheaper on SJS by a couple of quid but Spa cycles the whole set up was cheaper by £12. FYI.

Plus Spa are in Harrogate and I like Yorkshire. Thanks for the recommendations again. I will report back when it arrives!

ransos
    Free Member

Nice. I have the Pendle and QR bagman, plus shoulder strap. Brilliant for overnight adventures.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.