Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sad times – Surrey Hills trails lost :(
  • gee
    Free Member

Rode over there today for the first time since November – been on the cross bike all winter. Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting mud-wise, especially on Hombury.

Sad to see Secret Santa, Clawhammer, Switchbacks and 3 Amigos buried under logging 🙁

Glad I rode them so much last year!!

GB

PS turns out riding a fat bike on my usual epic loop is a bit harder than riding a normal bike!!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Have they completely gone? That’s a shame. I liked Secret Santa.

I’m not sure which Clawhammer & Switchbacks are, but i’m guessing they are close as that bit of the forest is being worked at the moment.

brooess
    Free Member

Ah. That’s a chunk of my regular loop gone then. Clawhammer followed by Secret Santa… 😥

gee
    Free Member

The bottom part of secret Santa is still there. The top half and all of clawhammer (both parts) gone.

Three amigos part 2 and switchbacks are in the same bit of woods opposite Evian on the other side of the valley. That’s all felled although I think I spotted some people in there clearing switchbacks. The bottom section after the switchbacks is still clear but the switchbacks and top section are covered in felled trees and ploughed up by the felling lorry tracks.

GB

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ah, I’m guessing one of those is the trail opposite Cochise, the one with the shady stepdown, that’s a bit of a lottery whether you can ride it out.

I never really liked anything but the first part of three amigos, so I hope someone guilts something better to replace it 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

🙁

those trails have sent me home with a smile on my face many times….

nuke

They’ll be back…they always do, probably be back by the summer 🙂

Nice to bump into you Gee (Bottom of Evian)…you’re an easy man to recognise on the Beargrease!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Yeah, they will return in some form.

daver27
    Free Member

To be honest, most of the trails up there are ruined after all this rain.

freeridenick
    Free Member

TD ain’t building on the Hurtwood anymore…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ranmore is where it’s at apparently.

Nick, how long does it take to hit Ranmore from Peaslake village? Any decent trails on the way?

freeridenick
    Free Member

its miles and miles 😉 anyway what would the masses do up there with no access to cheese straws!

slowboydickie

Ran more is a gloopfest at the moment. Avoid.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Probably squid around BKB as usual!

Next time I’m there I’ll have an adventure to find my way over.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Shame about 3As (but that seems a regular occurance in parts) and switchbacks. So basically lots of felling on W’fold but Evian and bottom bits ok?

mirage

Secret Santa top section is definately obliterated, tried going down about 400 yards yesterday and gave up. Rode switchbacks all the way down though no problem.

milko9000
    Free Member

Huh, think I saw you popping out of BKB then, unless there was another fatbiker on a Beargrease about. Yeah, gutted about Secret Santa in particular, that was my favourite trail in all the hills. Hopefully the pixies can put it back sooner rather than later.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah a great shame, we were there on 19th/1 and found this.

we looked for the Claw itself and couldn’t find it so possibly it’s been logged.

all of Secret Santa after crossing the track is intact (i.e. most of it to my mind), plus the second part of Clawhammer AKA Carpet Land I believe, which I quite enjoy.

they’ll probably come back, or something else will crop up, in due course

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sad times – Surrey Hills trails lost :(’ is closed to new replies.