Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sad news… RIP Rob Jefferies.
  • charliedontsurf

Very sad news… Rob Jefferies our gentleman mechanic was killed last night in a road traffic accident whilst on his bike. He leaves behind a wife and daughter. Rob was a man of large character and heart, and indeed stature.

Cycling was imbedded into his life: he was won national track events, worked for “British Cycling”, facilitated our local race scene, and was damned fast too. He will be very much missed by the local and cycling community.

In the shop we will miss his frequent techie heckles from the workshop: customers would wonder where the voice had come from, and then he would appear with his mechanical wisdom.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

This is really sad news. I’ve known Rob for almost 20 years and he really was one of the nicest, kindest people I’ve met and his track knowledge was immense. Many of my best track memories involve Rob.
    I work with George, and Rob was more than just a step-dad to him, he was one of his best friends. Big Rob will be sorely missed by many.

aP
    Free Member

Oh. He ran my commissaire course last September. Please convey our condolences to his family.

alexxx
    Free Member

Seen too many of these threads, very very sad indeed

london_lady
    Free Member

I met him last year on one of the BC training courses. Very sad to hear this. As aP says, please convey our condolences to his family.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Heard this in the local news this morning. Sad news indeed.

qwerty
    Free Member

tragic news indeed

R.I.P.

crazy-legs

Heard the news this morning, I’ve ridden and worked with Rob for many years; he taught me track riding right from my days as a Junior at Herne Hill velodrome. It wasn’t that long ago that I was riding with him on Manchester.

Tragic news. 🙁

cooie

Hi, l’m Rob’s brother in law.
    On behalf of Jane, George and Eve and the rest of the family thank you all for your kind words. A very sad time. He will be greatly missed.
    Ian Colquhoun

bigG
    Free Member

never met the fella but any thread about a cyclist death is tragic, particularly someone who has clearly been a positive influence in so many ways.

RIP,,

chipsngravy
    Free Member

So sad. My thoughts are with Rob’s family and friends. Rest in Peace Sir.

chipps

Bah! Really sorry to hear that. There’s too much of it around. Sorry…

donsimon
    Free Member

Arse! Saw a guy on the road yesterday, recently knocked down and being attended to.
    One death is one too many.
    Hopefully some good can come from the tragedy.
    DEP.

fazanders
    Free Member

On behalf of Jane, George and Eve and the rest of the family thank you all for your kind words. A very sad time. He will be greatly missed.
    Ian Colquhoun

The Friday night rides were always more entertaining with Rob there. Can’t believe he’s not going to grace us with his humour, laughter or ‘techie tips’. We will be raising a glass to him tonight. Sad day. Andy

velogirl
    Free Member

I was told early today of the untimely death of former Brixton cycles club mate Rob Jefferies. And now write this with an overwhelming sadness and feeling of devastation

Rob was not just a great personal friend he was my track mentor. He encouraged me with his usual dead pan delivery to just give competition a go after a brief induction. Training rides with him were especially memorable. They usually ended with my tongue hanging out and maybe Rob commenting on the lanes. All I saw was a big expanse of a lycra and not much else.

Its also his fault I now run the Brixton CC track meet. However without the ease and flair he had. He organised it brilliantly as he did all his events. (Only to see 3 of the 4 years rained off…. Yet again this year I am not ready and now he is not here for me to stress out at and get him to sort for me.

Rob dedicated the Brixton meet to big Ron Beckett with the Ron Beckett double harness pursuit (don’t ask). Ron another gentle big man of racing sport was like the rest of us lucky to have some great moments with Rob (Rob as track rider and track commissaire) And I hope Ron is sharing some great moments with him again.

We all have unique great memorable moments with Rob that will stay with us forever. It is hard to fathom this will be no more.

Brixton CC especially send big love to wife Jane and ‘kids’ George and Eve. He loved them deeply.

With any luck I will be able to track down a chief commissaire for the Brixton CC meet on the 25th June at Herne Hill. The whole meet will be dedicated to Rob. More information to follow.

NZCol

Echo what BigG said. News like this is terrible to read. Condolences to his family and friends. Raise a glass in his honour and remember the great times. Very sad.

big_scot_nanny

Shit. Love to all.

project
    Free Member

Any cyclist death is one to many, any news on the circumstances of how he died.

Very sa for all concerned.

allthepies
    Free Member

He obviously meant a great deal to a lot of people.

RIP.

LimboJimbo

So sorry to hear. Condolences & RIP.

Joxster
    Free Member

I’ve known Rob since 1986, he was intelligent, witty, gentle and incredibly helpful to everyone around. When I opened the thread I hoped that there was another person called Rob Jeffries but alas no. I will remember him for his pineapple on his head hair cut from the nationals at Leicester, him partaking in the Poll Tax riots and riding a bike the size of a gate.

My thoughts go out the Jane, Eve and George.

Jocko

scaredypants

Condolences to all those who knew him

I didn’t; sounds like that was bad luck on my part

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sad news… RIP Rob Jefferies.’ is closed to new replies.