Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • running Hope disks with Shimano calipers…?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Hi, i’m looking at running my Shimano Zee brakes with Hope rotors (cos i’m a colour tart).
    Cant imagine it would present a problem, as i’ve run varying combinations before.

I currently have a Zee front running a Hope V2 rotor, but was wondering about anyone running slightly more XC rotors such as the X2’s or Mono 6’s?

I could just try it and see, but a little pricey as an experiment…….

Anyone?

rOcKeTdOg

If they are 160’s it’ll work but bigger hope are 183 & Shimano 180 iirc so you’ll need to take that into account

lardman
    Free Member

Ah, yes ok. so there may be clearance issue in diameter rather that pad contact area…. hmmm…

Seemingly not a problem with my front 203 hope V2 disk and Shimano Zee caliper, so there’s a possibility that i could add some washers under the caliper mounting point to push the caliper out a smidge… hmmm…..

Thanks for the info.

nixie

bigger hope are 183 & Shimano 180 iirc so you’ll need to take that into account

Should be enough clearance without spacers. I’ve got hope 183mm discs running in deore brakes. What you won’t get away with though is the vented disk as this is wider!

johnners
    Free Member

Hope have been all over the shop with their disk sizes, they’ve done 165, 185, 160, 180, 200, 183 etc. Since you mention colours I guess you’d be thinking of the floating rotor type, they certainly used to do them in 180 though what range of colours might still be available I’m afraid I’ve no idea.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

but bigger hope are 183 & Shimano 180 iirc so you’ll need to take that into account

Get the right mount for your disc and you’ll be fine. The caliper doesn’t care how big the disc is; the mount has to do all the work.

lardman
    Free Member

AFAIK there is only one ‘mount’ for 180… it’s doesn’t come in 180 or 183 variation? although i might wrong??

lardman
    Free Member

ok, after a little research i’m now understanding that there are a whole host of variations. I should get my calculator out.

nigew
    Free Member

If you are using Hope floating rotors the rivets could catch on the caliper, some of the guys I ride with had that problem running 200/03 rotors with Shimano Saints

lardman
    Free Member

@nigew
    thanks for the tip, i’ll look out for that then.

Speeder

As said above, so long as you match the Hope disk diameter to the equivalent Shimano diameter you won’t have any trouble.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

IME the Hope rotors are marginally thicker than Shimano so alignment can be a bit sensitive, especially if you’ve got a sticking piston like I have.
    But I’ve had no problems with them once setup.

dirtydog
    Free Member

nigew – Member

If you are using Hope floating rotors the rivets could catch on the caliper, some of the guys I ride with had that problem running 200/03 rotors with Shimano Saints

This^.
    I’ve run Hope (180) floating rotors with both Deore and XT calipers and both calipers have needed filing in order to prevent contact with the rotor.

Ben_H

I ran XT M775 and now XT M785 calipers on Hope floating rotors (160/203mm).

Initially, there was a little rub – but it went with a little adjustment and I’ve used the combo on various frames and forks with no other issues.

Sui
    Free Member

eh, Saints are 203!? 😕 mine are at least.

nickjb
    Free Member

I had to add a couple of washers to the post mount to fit a hope rotor. All fitted ok. The disk got cooked, though so I went with another brand.

balfour

My Hope floating rotor rivets snagged on my slx and Deore caliper mount, I tried filing but ended up changing rotor

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘running Hope disks with Shimano calipers…?’ is closed to new replies.