• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mcj78.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Running a road cassette on DH wheels.
  • stevied
    Free Member

So I’ve got 2 sets of wheels including a bargain set of DeeMax. The DM’s are only going to be used for uplift stuff so considering getting a road cassette and spare chain so I can just swap the wheels and chain over when i need to.

Are there any issues running a road cassette on MTB freehubs, anything to take into account?

joefm

Nope. Just different ratios

hilldodger
    Free Member

I have run Ultegra cassettes on Hope hubs for ages with no problems at all

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks chaps 🙂

honourablegeorge

Make sure it’s tight, road cassettes tend not to have alloy carriers as they’r esmall, so they can gouge freehubs

lee170
    Free Member

I’ve run road cassettes on my mtb for years, never had any trouble. All good

legend
    Free Member

just remember to faff with the B-tension screw when you switch between the wheels

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt the sprocket spacing different between MTB and Road 10 spd?

njee20
    Free Member

Not enough to matter. A road cassette is 1mm narrower, and include a spacer.

therevokid
    Free Member

got a new slx mech/shifter with sram og road cassette … no probs
    at all so spacing the same too 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Make sure it’s tight, road cassettes tend not to have alloy carriers as they’r esmall, so they can gouge freehubs

Nope, same as the MTB ones, only the cheapest don’t have a carrier.

As above you will need the 1mm spacer that comes with road cassettes to get it to fit on a 9s/10s MTB freehub, It’ll still index, but might need tweeking slightly to get it wo work properly at the low end.

You might be better off just getting a 10s MTB cassette and binning the big gears and usig a singlespeed kit to space the cassette out. IME the narrow gaps on a road cassette were really irritating downhill as you had to constantly search for a gear, or coast because it wasn’t worth changing 4 gears between corners.

mcj78
    Free Member

Best shifting I ever had was with a 9 speed Ultegra casette / 105 mech / XTR shifter (Shimano chain & those coated XTR cables), fast positive shifts & almost silent – could barely feel it… although it was also probably the last time an actual mechanic set the gears up as opposed to my ham fisted attempts 😕

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Running a road cassette on DH wheels.’ is closed to new replies.